• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expert level in BBO many experts in BBO

#21 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 08:00

Which is better on that site professional or world class?

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-26, 08:12

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-26, 08:00, said:

Which is better on that site professional or world class?

Is it important?

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-26, 08:38

If you look at the stats of say, "Norby" for the last month, you'll see negative IMPs. For anyone else, this indicates a beginner. Even worse, I looked at the record for a friend of mine, and her classification was "like a babe lost in the woods" (wtf..?).

So I think that the designation 'professional' is plugged in to make the site appear more credible.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-26, 08:53

I am a beginner. :(
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:12

View Posthan, on 2012-April-26, 08:53, said:

The first step is acknowledgement.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:40

Yes, I think professional is manually programmed in by the creator. It doesn't give a rating number for "professionals" either. So World Class is the highest. I need to play a little more on PhantomSac, it has me at expert but only 50 points away from someone who is WC. Time to grind! The professional tag sucks since it means I cannot get to WC as jlall

Edit: Jdonn also said he is gonna play more to improve his rating!

#27 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:43

View Posthan, on 2012-April-26, 08:53, said:

As a higher ranked player I should be waiting for you to ask me to play then?

#28 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:45

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-26, 08:12, said:

Is it important?

Ratings are fun, what do you want? On yahoo, sometimes I will play spades or hearts all night instead of bridge to try and get my rating up to a certain goal level. On OKB, I played a lot to try and improve my lehman. A lot of my friends play call of duty or diablo or whatever to reach higher levels and unlock new stuff. Playing for the love of the game is great and all that, but for competitive people these kind of things are motivating/fun, for instance me playing more to get my robot duplicate account to WC, or get to 63 % average or whatever. Maybe you look down upon that kind of thing but whatever, it's fun! I am not saying that I think BBO should have a rating system, I saw on OKB what the costs of that were, but I am surprised if you do not see any possible benefit to the point where you have to ask me if it matters.

#29 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:08

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-26, 09:45, said:

Ratings are fun, what do you want? On yahoo, sometimes I will play spades or hearts all night instead of bridge to try and get my rating up to a certain goal level. On OKB, I played a lot to try and improve my lehman. A lot of my friends play call of duty or diablo or whatever to reach higher levels and unlock new stuff. Playing for the love of the game is great and all that, but for competitive people these kind of things are motivating/fun, for instance me playing more to get my robot duplicate account to WC, or get to 63 % average or whatever. Maybe you look down upon that kind of thing but whatever, it's fun! I am not saying that I think BBO should have a rating system, I saw on OKB what the costs of that were, but I am surprised if you do not see any possible benefit to the point where you have to ask me if it matters.

Hi Justin. I can understand playing to reach a higher level, unlock new stuff, get a 63% average, earn bucks, earn a reputation. That's fun, and addictive. I don't understand why you especialy would be interested in this mickey mouse rating system when you have nothing to prove.

I also don't agree that competitiveness has much to do with it. I am competitive I don't play simply because I love the game, I want to win. OTOH, I don't give a toss about monster points, that system is also flawed. I would however like some plantinum points :)

#30 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:22

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-26, 09:45, said:

Here's a silly idea:

Imagine if we could design an algorithm that could look at an (arbitrary) hand as it is being played and determine whether declarer had executed a squeeze, or an end play, or a strip and an end play, what have you.

This app would run as a background task on your local PC.
If it determined that you had successfully executed a stepping-stone squeeze, you'd get the stepping stone badge.
Alternative, if you yourself got squeezed, you'd get the "squoozen" badge.

Might add something to the site.
No idea if this would be worth the time / effort required to code this up.

Worse yet, not sure if this would be worth the hassles as someone complained that they had just executed some glorious coup and this buggy piece of shite program didn't recognize it...

Still, its an amusing idea
Alderaan delenda est

#31 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:23

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-26, 10:08, said:

Hi Justin. I can understand playing to reach a higher level, unlock new stuff, get a 63% average, earn bucks, earn a reputation. That's fun, and addictive. I don't understand why you especialy would be interested in this mickey mouse rating system when you have nothing to prove.

I also don't agree that competitiveness has much to do with it. I am competitive I don't play simply because I love the game, I want to win. OTOH, I don't give a toss about monster points, that system is also flawed. I would however like some plantinum points :)

Because, I want to reach the highest level. Of course it is stupid, but it is also fun and addictive to me. That is what most internet games are based on (reaching the highest level, or getting to whatever your goal is...I will never have a 4:1 KDR in call of duty, but I enjoy trying to get to 2:1, it is a personal goal that would be hard but possible based on my skill level). I don't understand your point, does it bother you that something might interest me that doesn't interest you? I also play kids games on addictinggames.com sometimes and try to improve on my best scores! :)

It is probably semantics, but trying to reach new highs etc for yourself is competitive to me. Maybe some people don't like that, and only want to compete against other people...it is kind of like running track and competing vs others vs running track and timing yourself and trying to improve on your old time. Maybe the latter would not be fun to you but it is to me. I mean, I like playing bridge, and I like having random goals, if one of them is to improve from expert to world class and that makes me play a little more seriosuly/focused in gib tournaments I don't think that's an awful thing. I've been getting clee/jdonn to try to do a bet with me like the robot race one so that we can actually see how good we are at them and have no excuse for ***** around but so far terms have not been decided.

#32 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:27

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-April-26, 10:22, said:

Here's a silly idea:

Imagine if we could design an algorithm that could look at an (arbitrary) hand as it is being played and determine whether declarer had executed a squeeze, or an end play, or a strip and an end play, what have you.

If it determined that you had successfully executed a stepping-stone squeeze, you'd get the stepping stone badge.

Worse yet, not sure if this would be worth the hassles as someone complained that they had just executed some glorious coup and this buggy piece of shite program didn't recognize it...

Haha, I like it!

#33 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:28

Also, you know the first thing I did when I saw this program was look up clee and jdonn and leo lasotas %ages and ratings lol. I pointed out how I only play robot dupes drunk or under the influence of stuff...excuses were flying, egos were hurt, plans were made. This thing is not bad if you like to compete vs your friends. And you know thats why jdonn insta said hes gonna play more and started crying about how hes always above 60 % but has been playing bad lately :P Maybe this stuff is silly but it probably will make us better!

#34 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:31

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-26, 10:28, said:

Maybe this stuff is silly but it probably will make us better!

True.

#35 User is offline   fuburules3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:47

I would be interested to see someone try to convincingly beat Leo Lasota's GIB matchpoint average (60.35% over last month at the moment) over a statistically significant number of hands.

#36 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 10:55

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-April-26, 10:22, said:

Here's a silly idea:

Many years ago I wrote a program that basically did this (it made it fairly easy to define various types of end positions and then was able to recognize these positions when they were reached in a "bridge movie").

Maybe one day when I am bored I will try find the code (or write a new version of it) and think about ways that such functionality might be applied to various BBO contexts.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#37 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 11:00

View Postfuburules3, on 2012-April-26, 10:47, said:

I would be interested to see someone try to convincingly beat Leo Lasota's GIB matchpoint average (60.35% over last month at the moment) over a statistically significant number of hands.

http://bboskill.com/user/rogerclee

clee is beating him over 736 hands. I am close but have only played 210.

Anyways, there is no doubt that leo lasota could beat his own number imo, he could just play slower I would guess. I am 100 % sure I could beat 62 % playing seriously, I would even wager on it and lay some odds if anyone wants! I kept track for a while when I played non drug affected ones, but I would like to try it officially (and possibly blog about it).

Also, Leo Lasota plays to win always I'm sure, which means swinging at the end. That alone hurts your average, not to mention tilting :P Playing for average in a bet would change those things.

Clee, if you're reading this just take 3 % and lets play 100 of them, don't be such a wimp!

#38 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-26, 11:03

Clee: Wow, what is this thing? I'm not gonna F around anymore

#39 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-April-26, 14:15

View Postfred, on 2012-April-26, 10:55, said:

Many years ago I wrote a program that basically did this (it made it fairly easy to define various types of end positions and then was able to recognize these positions when they were reached in a "bridge movie").

Maybe one day when I am bored I will try find the code (or write a new version of it) and think about ways that such functionality might be applied to various BBO contexts.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

All that I ask is that you have a "squoozen" badge...
Maybe something for taking too many dummy finesses

(I am a firm believer that silliness is a powerful motivating force)

Leeroy JENKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alderaan delenda est

#40 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 17:35

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-April-19, 15:54, said:

That site fetches data from My Hands, and it's not an official BBO site. It was promoted heavily on BBO through impersonation of a BBO username, and spamming randoms. I am surprised to see how much people believe it's genuine.

We posted a warning in the News too, but it was pretty useless. If people want to have ratings they will believe anything :)

I actually think it is a reasonably useful service to put ratings on for people who like it. And it seems like it is trying to be modeled on more or less the chess elo scale.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users