• You cannot reply to this topic

"Secret Bridge Olympics" Next one scheduled for 2013

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-September-04, 09:43

How does a person determine the level of acceptance for any new system/gadget designed?

Enter what I hear referred to as the “Secret Bridge Olympics.” Apparently the “Secret Bridge Olympics” takes place once every four years. The last one took place in France in November 2009. New inventions/gadgets etc get tested by experts. Participation in the “Secret Bridge Olympics” is upon invite only. All people who are invited must have some form of material to be published and willing to share it with those present. All new systems/gadgets etc are then put through the test and if accepted, get published and a name is then giving to the system/gadget. This is where Michael’s, Splinters, Smolen, Staymen etc were tested and accepted.

Your contribution (new system/gadget etc) must be handed in on the first day on arrival. Then commences a 3 day tournament played with pre-dealt hands which meet the requirements of each new system/gadget that was submitted. Usually around 250 boards are dealt. New systems/gadget notes are handed out to each player and every time a player chooses to use one of the new systems/gadgets a note is made and the player then rates the system/gadget on a scale of 1 to 3 –
1 = no good, scrap, dump
2 = may work but needs more thought
3 = system/gadget works, no need to make any changes
The more points your new system/gadget receives from the invitees to the tournament, naturally the better.

Upon arrival the new system/gadget notes must already be translated into in 4 different languages. It saves translation time during the event. Languages of preference = English, German, Chinese, Turkish, Italian, Polish and Spanish in that order.

The problem however is receiving an invitation to this tournament.

The next “Secret Bridge Olympics” is scheduled to take place in 2013. I have no idea where or when this is to be. If any member of the BBO Forums has already received and invite, then how about taking this DOOM defence of mine along with you and let the world’s best players see how good or bad it is.

First prize = get me an invitation as well.
Second prize = you have DOOM tested for me.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-04, 09:46

Dude, just let it go OK?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 10:56

the moon landing was fake right?

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 11:03

JLOGIC, on 2012-September-04, 10:56, said:

the moon landing was fake right?

We are all just waiting for the public reading of Armstrong's will to confirm it.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 11:48

Why would we need such olympics when we can just ask Mike Bell about the perfect bidding system?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 11:49

It reminds me of the Kumite except for bridge instead of martial arts. We should make a sequel to Bloodsport. How about Bloodmindsport?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#7 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-September-04, 12:05

It's all true, you know.

Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#8 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-September-04, 13:13

32519, on 2012-September-04, 09:43, said:

How does a person determine the level of acceptance for any new system/gadget designed?

Enter what I hear referred to as the “Secret Bridge Olympics.” Apparently the “Secret Bridge Olympics” takes place once every four years. The last one took place in France in November 2009. New inventions/gadgets etc get tested by experts. Participation in the “Secret Bridge Olympics” is upon invite only. All people who are invited must have some form of material to be published and willing to share it with those present. All new systems/gadgets etc are then put through the test and if accepted, get published and a name is then giving to the system/gadget. This is where Michael’s, Splinters, Smolen, Staymen etc were tested and accepted.

Your contribution (new system/gadget etc) must be handed in on the first day on arrival. Then commences a 3 day tournament played with pre-dealt hands which meet the requirements of each new system/gadget that was submitted. Usually around 250 boards are dealt. New systems/gadget notes are handed out to each player and every time a player chooses to use one of the new systems/gadgets a note is made and the player then rates the system/gadget on a scale of 1 to 3 –
1 = no good, scrap, dump
2 = may work but needs more thought
3 = system/gadget works, no need to make any changes
The more points your new system/gadget receives from the invitees to the tournament, naturally the better.

Upon arrival the new system/gadget notes must already be translated into in 4 different languages. It saves translation time during the event. Languages of preference = English, German, Chinese, Turkish, Italian, Polish and Spanish in that order.

The problem however is receiving an invitation to this tournament.

Clearly the problem is when you receive an invitation to this tournament

You would think artificial conventions would be best, but it says "naturally the better"

I think if the languages of preferences were English, German, Chinese, Turkish, Italian, Polish and Spanish, the chance of it having been held in France in 2009 is nul

Some gadgets remain secret I guess, as everybody knows Stayman, but few play Staymen
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:15

just some music for people who are bored...

... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:40

Posted Image
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-September-04, 20:48

Let me practice my fortunetelling abilities.

I see an image from the future... from 2013.... its.... its a symbol.... a number.....

#12 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 20:55

cherdano, on 2012-September-04, 11:48, said:

Why would we need such olympics when we can just ask Mike Bell about the perfect bidding system?

My thoughts precisely B-)

#13 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 21:12

Siegmund, on 2012-September-04, 20:48, said:

Let me practice my fortunetelling abilities.

I see an image from the future... from 2013.... its.... its a symbol.... a number.....

Posted Image
OK
bed

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-05, 01:16

The earth is flat, isn't it?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 05:14

the guy's obviously a wind-up artist. noone could seriously write such shite on a consistent basis. even a monkey will occasionally type out the merchant of venice given enough threads.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-06, 10:02

gwnn, on 2012-September-04, 14:15, said:

just some music for people who are bored...

Bored? Are you serious? 32519's conspiracy theories are the most entertaining content on these forums.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-September-06, 11:21

I remember this tournament very well, but not fondly. My own contribution was simple: after 1m - (1S) our 2NT response would show 5-5 in hearts and the other minor, at least mildly invitational. I was thrilled when on the very first day I picked up:

xx
AQJxx
Kxxxx
x

My partner opened 1C, showing either clubs, a balanced hand or any 4-4-4-1 pattern. The garcon on my right overcalled 1S, natural but possibly a major suit canape. Here was my chance for glory, 2NT!

LHO started reading their pages of defensive notes and finally bid 3H showing either a weak or a gameforcing spade raise (3S would have been mixed of course, standard since Seville 2001).

My partner doubled, showing exactly 3 hearts with possibly longer diamonds, RHO bid a negative 3S and I transfered to 4H, which was doubled by lefty showing either a penalty double or a void (a 3 from Adelaide 2005). LHO led the spade jack and my partner tabled Kxx xxx A10xxx Kx. I went for 800 when hearts split 5-0 and I had no entry to dummy.

The canape overcall received a 2, but my own convention was thrown out as crap. The only new convention that received a 3 was my partner's 1C opening, as it prevented the opponents from reaching the cold 6C. My partner was furious though. Given that this event was secretly sponsored by the ACBL, I should have known that RHO had a Flannery opening!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-September-07, 00:55

han, on 2012-September-06, 11:21, said:

I remember this tournament very well, but not fondly.

Thank you! Finally someone has come out of the woodwork.

han, on 2012-September-06, 11:21, said:

My partner was furious though. Given that this event was secretly sponsored by the ACBL, I should have known that RHO had a Flannery opening!

Should the forthcoming “Secret Bridge Olympics” be scheduled to take place in the USA in 2013, here is another contribution from me which the ACBL may take a serious interest in –

An artificial 2 opening bid showing –
1. A 6/4 holding in the majors
2. The 6-card suit can be either or
3. 10-15 HCP (Rule of 20)
4. (See the bid as “2-Way-Flannery” if you so desire)

The downside for the bid = a low frequency of occurrence.
The upside for the bid is, hands are pre-dealt for any big tournament.
Another upside = the USA sponsoring organisations and many of USAs top players love Flannery. Introducing a “2-Way-Flannery” type of bid could become very popular with them.
Another upside = The sponsoring bodies have plenty of opportunities to pre-deal some really awkward hands with this convention.

You can get your copy from Baron Barclay in the USA.

So if someone wants to attend the next “Secret Bridge Olympics” but does not have any material to share with others, here are two opportunities for you to go and have something tested on my behalf.

#19 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-September-07, 04:49

This convention of yours was already suggested by Jose Ablar for Kyoto 1993. It did not make the cut.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#20 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-September-07, 05:21

han, on 2012-September-07, 04:49, said:

This convention of yours was already suggested by Jose Ablar for Kyoto 1993. It did not make the cut.

In the 80s I had a complete system based on two-way Flannery (2 two-way Flannery, 2-2 asked for longer major), but I found out that Flannery will get you nowhere
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users