BBO Discussion Forums: When only I know 10 Vs 10 trumph fits - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When only I know 10 Vs 10 trumph fits

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 09:40

I am south.
According to the principle of suits distribution - when we cooperate with 10+ cards trumph fit, opps also have same 9+ cards suit fit at least.
For this hand, 5 probably shows opps have 10+ cards fit, now only I know 10 cards trumph Vs 10 cards trumph, I have no idea how to decide next action.
It is appreciated for any suggestion.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-14, 10:03

Personally I would double. Partner's pass is forcing. The 5th trump, as you have identified, is a factor for bidding. But it is the only such factor in a hand that otherwise screams to defend. The law of total tricks is not that reliable at the 5 level.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-14, 15:50

3 instead of 4 gives partner a chance to express an opinion and they are completely stymied from doing so after this 4 bid that in my partnership can be as wide ranging as you can imagine..... but not this hand.

On your worst day partner has AKxxxx, Axx, xx, xx (marginal defense or offence at best) and you have a slam
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-15, 01:07

The Ace of Clubs would be better in a different suit, still it is not worthless, the Ace would
be a minus for the LoTT.
The LoTT works best with 17-18 total trumps, it loses a lot of accuracy if the number
of total trumps increases.

My suggestion would be to bid 5D as some kind of move toward slam, it is close.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-15, 09:54

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-April-14, 15:50, said:

3 instead of 4 gives partner a chance to express an opinion and they are completely stymied from doing so after this 4

Did you misread the auction? He bid 4 splinter, not 4.

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-April-15, 21:30

I'd want the 4 response to look more like J10xxx KQx AKxx x . As ggwhiz said this is a 3 bid not a 4 bid. Now the same flaw makes it harder to divine what's right.

Partner's pass says no wastage in with something more than a minimum, so we can put at least 12 HCP in the other 3 suits. That brings us up to 21 HCP outside of . (Were we at 25 HCP outside of , a move toward small slam is de rigeur).

Does partner have 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the missing key cards? I can't imagine the bidding going as it has if partner held only one keycard or 2 keys with a (sub) minimum (either would bring a double, not a forcing pass - e.g. Q9xxx Axx AJx xx). If partner holds only 2 Keys, the 5-level will be touchy (though the A is likely onside if missing). With 3 or 4 keys, 6 will likely hunt. Seems like one move past 4 is called for - So I try 5.

If I were calling 2 over 1, you could expect 2QT and KQxxxx. Something like xx xxx AJx KQxxxx looks about right...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 12:26

Lycier, your assumption is off - it is possible (and not unheard of) for you to have a 10-card fit, and the opponents to have two 8-card fits.
It's even possible to have an 11-card fit, and the opponents have three 8-card fits (very unlikely though)
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-April-18, 14:12

Partner is unlikely to have much wastage, if any. Partner cannot know there's no losers. So I'm bidding 5 .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users