BBO Discussion Forums: Challenge Event 8A - Knockouts information + results - BBO Discussion Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Challenge Event 8A - Knockouts information + results

#81 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-16, 16:55

View Postnullve, on 2017-May-16, 14:48, said:

Check out North's bidding at sieong's table on board 4! :)

After starting with double as I did, I considered cue bidding 3 over partner's jump to 2 (but as you see I rejected that). I also decided on board 3 to just play for the A onside instead of Axx offside with the heart entries to get to the established king. Well done Samuel!

#82 User is offline   linxu01 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-16, 21:07

http://webutil.bridg...97853&u=linxu01

linxu01 6.5 : M1cha 9.5

#83 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-16, 21:22

View Postcrazy4hoop, on 2017-May-16, 16:55, said:

After starting with double as I did, I considered cue bidding 3 over partner's jump to 2 (but as you see I rejected that). I also decided on board 3 to just play for the A onside instead of Axx offside with the heart entries to get to the established king. Well done Samuel!

Better yet I could have splintered 4 which would likely get partner to bid 4NT and tie the board that way and get to our 4th overtime!

#84 User is offline   sieong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-16, 22:30

Thanks for the match, crazy4hoop. I enjoyed the match much.

I was very lucky to be through to the semifinals because of a strange bidding decision by GIB.

#85 User is offline   pio_magic 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 06:45

piomagic / wackojack 6.5/9.5

http://webutil.bridg...961&u=pio_magic

#86 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 10:02

olegru-cherdano.. you guys only played 3 or 4 sets in last 13 days.. you have to finish by this Friday evening EST..
Otherwise you will be disqualified.. Let us know if somebody is making it slow..

#87 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2017-May-17, 10:44

Second set already played out, I lost, I believe, by 1. Cannot access to playing site now to give a link.
I am planning to play third set tonight and the last tomorrow evening. I hope it will worked out.

Sorry, slow play was my fault. I forgot that after losing in one knockout bracket I am not already out, but moved to another bracket and wasted couple of days.

#88 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-17, 12:36

Final set. broze 10.5 - ArtK78 5.5

Thanks for the game Art. Every set had a lot of tough hands imo
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#89 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 12:50

Also, just a note to those in the other semi: I will have probably have to wait until next week to play the final.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#90 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-May-17, 13:35

View Postbroze, on 2017-May-17, 12:36, said:

Final set. broze 10.5 - ArtK78 4.5

Thanks for the game Art. Every set had a lot of tough hands imo

The score was 10.5 - 5.5.

And, yes, there were a lot of tough hands. There were a lot of guesses to make in the final set and you got them all right. Or almost all right. One hand you actually got it wrong but the robot defenders let you off the hook. You were in 4 with a trump suit of QJ9 facing Kxxxx. After winning the opening lead in dummy you chose to lead the SQ which lost to RHO's singleton Ace. If RHO had returned a diamond instead of a club, you would have had 4 losers (unless you decided to play LHO for all of the rest of the spades). RHO's play wasn't necessarily wrong, but it was wrong on the lie of the cards.

On the other hand, I could not make a winning guess to save my life. One hand I bid a slam which needed to bring in ATxxx opposite K9xx for no losers. I played the K and it went low, low, Q. So I took the restricted choice finesse and lost to the QJ doubleton. You were in game and you played the A first, so you could not get it wrong.

Another hand I "guessed" to open a 14 point 1NT. This got me to 3 with a trump suit of KT9xx opposite J8x. I lost the finesse to a singleton Q and the other hand got a ruff and his trump A, leading to -200 against the -170 at your table.

That was 3 boards. If they had gone the other way the score would have been 8.5-7.5 in my favor. I only needed 7.5 to win the match, so 2 out of 3 would have been enough.

There were other hands. On one, we held Txxx K9xxx x Jxx. After passing in first seat, it went (1) - x - (P). Both of us bid 1. Partner cue bid 2, showing 18+ HCP. You chose to bid 2 and when your partner cue bid again (showing the same 18+ HCP) you bid 3 which your partner passed. I bid 2 over the first cue bid which my partner raised to 3, allegedly showing 22-24 HCP. Naturally, I bid game. Just as naturally, my partner did not have the 22-24 HCP his bidding promised, and game was a longshot at best. 8 tricks turned out to be the limit.

The bottom line is you have to get some luck to win in these robot games. Sometimes you just don't.

#91 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 15:58

View PostArtK78, on 2017-May-17, 13:35, said:

<snip>

Typo fixed thanks.

Agreed that the match easily could have gone the other way. Was close throughout.

The trump suit in the 4S was QJ9 opposite K8xxx so my play of the queen did not give up any legitimate chances given that I would never pick Txxx with LHO. There was however a 3D I butchered that you kindly did not mention.

I think the slam hand you might get right as you played for RHO to have a singleton in both majors. I considered that unlikely hence the play of the Ace.

#92 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-May-17, 19:10

View Postbroze, on 2017-May-17, 15:58, said:

Typo fixed thanks.

Agreed that the match easily could have gone the other way. Was close throughout.

The trump suit in the 4S was QJ9 opposite K8xxx so my play of the queen did not give up any legitimate chances given that I would never pick Txxx with LHO. There was however a 3D I butchered that you kindly did not mention.

I think the slam hand you might get right as you played for RHO to have a singleton in both majors. I considered that unlikely hence the play of the Ace.

Yes, a priori RHO having a singleton in both majors is unlikely. But when the opps have only 7 cards combined in the majors, it is not that unlikely. And restricted choice still applies, even though the odds are not as good as they would be if the spades were 2-1 the other way. Unless I am missing something, once I played the top honor from my hand and the Q drops from RHO, the finesse is a 62% favorite.

#93 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2017-May-17, 20:02

Cherdano / Olegru Second part
http://webutil.bridg...836594&u=olegru
Cherdano 8.5 / Olegru 7.5

#94 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 20:27

View Postolegru, on 2017-May-17, 20:02, said:

Cherdano / Olegru Second part
http://webutil.bridg...836594&u=olegru
Cherdano 8.5 / Olegru 7.5

where is the first set?

#95 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 20:34

View Postbroze, on 2017-May-17, 12:50, said:

Also, just a note to those in the other semi: I will have probably have to wait until next week to play the final.

Yes we plan to start the finals Sunday or Monday. The other semi will start today or tomorrow!

#96 User is offline   sieong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-18, 00:10

The other semi is in progress. Aiming to finish by Sunday.

#97 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-May-18, 02:04

View Postovncylmz, on 2017-May-17, 10:02, said:

olegru-cherdano.. you guys only played 3 or 4 sets in last 13 days.. you have to finish by this Friday evening EST..
Otherwise you will be disqualified.. Let us know if somebody is making it slow..

View Postovncylmz, on 2017-May-17, 20:27, said:

where is the first set?

Maybe you can check this thread for reported results before issuing threats to throw people out of the tournament?

In any case, here is Set 3:
cherdano 6.5 - olegru 9.5

Congrats olegru, who wins by one board.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#98 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-18, 04:37

View PostArtK78, on 2017-May-17, 19:10, said:

Yes, a priori RHO having a singleton in both majors is unlikely. But when the opps have only 7 cards combined in the majors, it is not that unlikely. And restricted choice still applies, even though the odds are not as good as they would be if the spades were 2-1 the other way. Unless I am missing something, once I played the top honor from my hand and the Q drops from RHO, the finesse is a 62% favorite.

I agree that once you play the King and see an honour drop you should play RC notwithstanding the singleton spade. However, the initial play of the Ace is indicated to to pick up a singleton honour in the other hand.

#99 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-18, 14:20

View Postcherdano, on 2017-May-18, 02:04, said:

Maybe you can check this thread for reported results before issuing threats to throw people out of the tournament?

In any case, here is Set 3:
cherdano 6.5 - olegru 9.5

Congrats olegru, who wins by one board.

Yes you guys are just too slow - we started playing the KOs 2 weeks ago and you could only play 6 and 7 sets..

gold KO --> one semi final is over.. the other one is set, but note that sieong-crazyhoop played 3 extra plaoyffs!
silver KO --> way too slow.. we shud wrap up by next wed or thursday..

#100 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-18, 14:22

m1cha-linxu01 last set..
pio_magic-wackojack last set..
Please post here soon..

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic