#1 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-01, 23:22

$0.25 Daylong MP

http://tinyurl.com/y9btp3yy

Partner? Are you even listening to me?

Anyway somehow I got 52% for this? You should see the rubbish E/W and North bidding at some of the other tables. Somehow all those who went straight on to 4S managed to go down.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-02, 05:49

No logic whatsoever here by GIB. Just 'calculated' that East's negative double meant a contract for N/S was wrong. Couldn't reason that the s were distributed 0=3=4=6 around the table, and that 4 by South is where most partnerships would be. Mmmm....

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-September-02, 07:02

If Gib knew how to add I would agree with calculations it has made. Time after time, Gib can't add to 26 and bid game or add to 23 and stay out of game. But here it is a different problem.
None of your spade bids showed spades according to Gib's bidding system!
You were making progressively stronger cue-bids. You are lucky Gib didn't bid 6.
If you want a cue-bid hearts is available. So it seems after the negative X your either playing in NT or clubs!

You probably got 52%as Gib probably did same sort of thing with others, but can't check robot games so can't tell.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-02, 07:32

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-September-02, 07:02, said:

If Gib knew how to add I would agree with calculations it has made. Time after time, Gib can't add to 26 and bid game or add to 23 and stay out of game. But here it is a different problem.
None of your spade bids showed spades according to Gib's bidding system!
You were making progressively stronger cue-bids. You are lucky Gib didn't bid 6.
If you want a cue-bid hearts is available. So it seems after the negative X your either playing in NT or clubs!

You probably got 52%as Gib probably did same sort of thing with others, but can't check robot games so can't tell.

What can I say? This is what you get when you persist with Gib's crazy upside down methods of bidding.

"If Gib knew how to add I would agree with calculations it has made." WOW really? Gib accepts opps bidding and not mine? What happened to trust your partner. No logic here can explain how a double cue could be possible here. The cue in hearts was available as well as many other options for a club fit. How on earth is one supposed to introduce the other major 5 or 6 times, just because east mentioned he may have a weak hand with a few? Its not a wonder Gib is such a mess, guys get your bidding theory right!

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-September-02, 11:54

I didn't say Gib is correct. 3H is obviously the forcing bid.
I said as Gib is programmed 3S does not show any spades merely a good hand.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-02, 16:18

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-September-02, 11:54, said:

I didn't say Gib is correct. 3H is obviously the forcing bid.
I said as Gib is programmed 3S does not show any spades merely a good hand.

Well then who programs this rubbish? In all my time playing bridge I have NEVER seen an unbid major suit after a double by opps to be a cue bid !!!!! Then a second cue?? This is absolute garbage really.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-03, 12:40

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-02, 16:18, said:

Well then who programs this rubbish? In all my time playing bridge I have NEVER seen an unbid major suit after a double by opps to be a cue bid !!!!! Then a second cue?? This is absolute garbage really.

In this case you are correct, your Spade bids should be natural. This is a bug that can be fixed. Your usual complaints about 2/1 in general, and most of them about GIB's implementation of the system, are mostly hot air. It's one thing to expect the owners of an inexpensive motel to change the sheets and keep the air conditioner working. It's another to expect them to transform the place into the Hilton.

#8 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-03, 17:42

View Postiandayre, on 2017-September-03, 12:40, said:

In this case you are correct, your Spade bids should be natural. This is a bug that can be fixed. Your usual complaints about 2/1 in general, and most of them about GIB's implementation of the system, are mostly hot air. It's one thing to expect the owners of an inexpensive motel to change the sheets and keep the air conditioner working. It's another to expect them to transform the place into the Hilton.

You are not going to change my opinion until you provide your bridge players with a bidding system they can play with. Your robot bidding system is one that should be consigned to the garbage bin.

You know, when beginners are taught bridge, they are taught never to repeat bid a pre-empted hand. Gib does this all the time, for players to learn from?

When this happens at a table, one knows they are playing with a novice.

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-04, 18:46

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-03, 17:42, said:

You are not going to change my opinion until you provide your bridge players with a bidding system they can play with. Your robot bidding system is one that should be consigned to the garbage bin.

You know, when beginners are taught bridge, they are taught never to repeat bid a pre-empted hand. Gib does this all the time, for players to learn from?

When this happens at a table, one knows they are playing with a novice.

I am just another BBO user. I don't work for them or speak for them. And I'm not a computer programmer.

#10 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-04, 19:15

View Postiandayre, on 2017-September-04, 18:46, said:

I am just another BBO user. I don't work for them or speak for them. And I'm not a computer programmer.

Thats ok, Im a user too. My message is intended to those who should get it. However I would be more careful when you make claims of "hot air"

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-05, 19:44

If you had paid $.50 for the Double Secret Probation version 2.0 of GIB, this would not have happened.

#12 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-06, 09:52

View Postjohnu, on 2017-September-05, 19:44, said:

If you had paid $.50 for the Double Secret Probation version 2.0 of GIB, this would not have happened.

What? Whats that? I hope you not planning cheating robots.

#13 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-06, 19:44

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-04, 19:15, said:

Thats ok, Im a user too. My message is intended to those who should get it. However I would be more careful when you make claims of "hot air"

I have been playing here with GIB for several years now. I know what is realistic, and what is not. I would be thrilled the existing system is significantly improved in most or all of its weak areas. Going on about GIB playing multiple systems is a waste of your time and ours. And you may not like 2/1, but it is the most common system in use today at the intermediate and advanced levels. I far prefer it to any alternative.

#14 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 06:47

View Postiandayre, on 2017-September-06, 19:44, said:

I have been playing here with GIB for several years now. I know what is realistic, and what is not. I would be thrilled the existing system is significantly improved in most or all of its weak areas. Going on about GIB playing multiple systems is a waste of your time and ours. And you may not like 2/1, but it is the most common system in use today at the intermediate and advanced levels. I far prefer it to any alternative.

Have it your way, opinion is what makes this a great game. If we all played the same way, what would be the point of Bridge?

Perhaps I do not like 2/1 because it is the common system, That does not mean I should not learn it and play it to the best of my ability and use conventions that work best to my advantage.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users