• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crazy hand from Camrose

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-05, 15:24

From the first half of this morning's Camrose matches. North holds AKQJ9xx - AKQJ10 A !! Have you ever seen anything like this?

At both tables South passed, West opened 4H and North jumped to 7S. And at both tables, this was ominously doubled by West - clubs were 7-0 and both Easts found the club lead! One can only imagine the incredible feeling of frustration when you pick up such an amazing hand and it goes down on a trick one ruff. In the England vs NI match, NI picked up 3 IMPs as Byrne had redoubled 7S - who can blame him.

ahydra

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-05, 18:04

When I picked up this hand, board 11, our scorecard showed 10 minus scores so far... Surely that would change now! It even occurred to me to try to get partner to play 7, but after (4H) 5H 6C, there didn't seem to be disaster-proof way to do so and I bid 7S.

We got four more minus scores (one because I tried for a non-vuln game after 1S 2S with A97xx Axxx - KJxx - agree?).

So last hand I picked up Kx AQT QJxx Q9xx and the auction starts (2D = multi) 3S (P). Do you try for slam with 4H, or do you protect your first plus score by just bidding 4S? Partner's style for 3S is a bit weaker than at least US standard.

We scored 480 on this hand for our first plus score (partner had Tx of diamonds, but opener got endplayed with singleton K), and won the set 28-23...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-05, 20:07

I don't think the club lead was too hard to find when partner has made a lightner double. And yes, I can blame Byrne for redoubling (do you really think West is doubling because they have the A?), but was happy for the 3 imps in what was otherwise a fairly poor set. As far as I know (I didn't ask), no-one found the bid of 7!. 7S (and 7D) is naturally cold by the hand with no trumps :P
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-January-06, 01:57

Is XX really bad? You lose 3 IMPs when it is wrong, and you gain 10 when you are right. Are you sure LHO will find the right suit to lead more than 77% of the time? There seems a good chance he will lead a club when his partner has a diamond void.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 02:21

View Postcherdano, on 2018-January-05, 18:04, said:

When I picked up this hand, board 11, our scorecard showed 10 minus scores so far... Surely that would change now! It even occurred to me to try to get partner to play 7, but after (4H) 5H 6C, there didn't seem to be disaster-proof way to do so and I bid 7S.

The Vugraph operator could not tell you and Mike apart, as you were shown as South throughout the set.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 02:28

I don't think it's really bad, but it's hardly obvious to do so either. It may actually be an interesting one to simulate even if you ignore the (admittedly) slim possibility it's going 2 down and we assume that, given how uninformative the auction is, that LHO is always leading his longer minor and probably diamonds if there is equal length.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-January-06, 03:11

View Postpaulg, on 2018-January-06, 02:21, said:

The Vugraph operator could not tell you and Mike apart, as you were shown as South throughout the set.

I was - except on this board!

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 08:01

View Postcherdano, on 2018-January-05, 18:04, said:

We got four more minus scores (one because I tried for a non-vuln game after 1S 2S with A97xx Axxx - KJxx - agree?).

So last hand I picked up Kx AQT QJxx Q9xx and the auction starts (2D = multi) 3S (P). Do you try for slam with 4H, or do you protect your first plus score by just bidding 4S? Partner's style for 3S is a bit weaker than at least US standard.

We scored 480 on this hand for our first plus score (partner had Tx of diamonds, but opener got endplayed with singleton K), and won the set 28-23...

I like the idea of trying to get p to play the hand. What could go wrong with 6h asking p to pick one of the other 2 suits. Even if it is not 100% clear what can go wrong? If P fails to read the message that way and does not bid dia or spades you can still bid 7s :) just a thought.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-11, 02:58

View Postgszes, on 2018-January-06, 08:01, said:

I like the idea of trying to get p to play the hand. What could go wrong with 6h asking p to pick one of the other 2 suits. Even if it is not 100% clear what can go wrong? If P fails to read the message that way and does not bid dia or spades you can still bid 7s :) just a thought.

Reminds me of this hand. North scratched his head over 7S and corrected to 7NT. It was a big pairs event, and 7H would have been below average. Diamonds were 5-1 and the club K was onside, so if you play 7NT from the wrong hand and they lead a club, you need second sight to make it. 7S was a good effort (and I am sure failing to find it would be classed as SEWoG by Cyberyeti!).

I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#10 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-11, 13:11

If you have a freakish hand, it increases the chances of one or more of the other hands being freakish too. At least, that sort of thing happens in 'goulash' deals all the time.

Furthermore, let's suppose that this hand turns up in a pairs event. Almost every North is going to see a laydown Grand even with nothing from partner, and hence is going to bid it! And if the Grand had been making with no hitches such as a trick 1 ruff, it's going to be a flat board and no-one wins.

If you need a big swing, perhaps the best strategy is to bid 6! Play for that ominous 1st-round ruff, hoping that every other table bids 7 and every defender finds the right lead. And if the oppos sacrifice in 7, at least you have a big penalty to look forward to!

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-12, 13:50

View Postgszes, on 2018-January-06, 08:01, said:

What could go wrong with 6 asking p to pick one of the other 2 suits?

Partner might pass, thinking it is psyche-exposing and natural ...
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-12, 15:14

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-12, 13:50, said:

Partner might pass, thinking it is psyche-exposing and natural ...

My question was based on an auction that began 4h 5h --- that might not have been 100% clear I meant 6h as a follow up (after 6c) and if p thinks that's natural I want to face them in the challenge matches.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users