Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Referees

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-19, 18:38

Sometimes when someone mentions getting telephone rulings from referees, some people, maybe in the ACBL say they don't have them. If this is the case where you play, how are rulings obtained in privately played matches?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-19, 18:59

Rule amongst ourselves. There aren't any official competitions held as private matches, not any of any importance, anyway, at least in my area. So if it's just a friendly practice match, most of us are familiar enough with the rules that there aren't serious controversies over what the ruling should be. If there are, I suppose we have some director's phone numbers in our phone to ask an opinion.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-October-19, 20:24

View PostStephen Tu, on 2017-October-19, 18:59, said:

Rule amongst ourselves. There aren't any official competitions held as private matches, not any of any importance, anyway, at least in my area.

What about leagues?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-19, 21:44

Don't exist in my area. There are so many weekend sectional tournaments, + regionals within reasonable driving distance in my area (northern CA, SF bay area), maybe 2 a month on average that I think most serious players have quite enough competitions available to get their fill of bridge. For the few that don't, surely they will by venturing further to southern CA/Las Vegas.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-20, 08:08

The last time they tried a "home teams" event in our district was 15-20 years ago. It didn't work well because teams had a hard time agreeing on scheduling. We mostly ruled ourselves, but if we needed help from a real director we had a phone list.

it's simply not a common form of play in ACBL, we have plenty of sectional and regional tournaments ("congresses" to you).

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2017-October-21, 12:16

Do you mean 'TDs' rather than 'referees'? Referees are for appeals, not rulings of first instance.

England is extremely unusual playing 'at home' matches. Even where there are leagues, they tend to be played at clubs with a club TD on hand.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-October-21, 18:56

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2017-October-21, 12:16, said:

Do you mean 'TDs' rather than 'referees'? Referees are for appeals, not rulings of first instance.

England is extremely unusual playing 'at home' matches. Even where there are leagues, they tend to be played at clubs with a club TD on hand.

Not in my experience. So a referee is needed for rulings in first instance.

You may not play in Business house, NICKO, Crockfords, Gold Cup, but we usually play these matches in homes or places of business. I think you play in the Gold Cup.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-21, 19:43

I think they traditionally call them referees when they're not on site at the game, but just available on-call.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-22, 01:11

View Postbarmar, on 2017-October-21, 19:43, said:

I think they traditionally call them referees when they're not on site at the game, but just available on-call.

In England we have a list of TDs who can be called on to give a ruling and a separate list of referees who are usually asked to hear appeals.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-08, 16:47

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-21, 18:56, said:

Not in my experience. So a referee is needed for rulings in first instance.

You may not play in Business house, NICKO, Crockfords, Gold Cup, but we usually play these matches in homes or places of business. I think you play in the Gold Cup.

Stefanie: I think you have misinterpreted what Frances said. She is suggesting that England is unusual compared with other countries because matches are played at home in England.

#11 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-08, 19:24

Seattle has a league. Here's the relevant part of the rules:

Bridge Irregularities: In the event of any bridge irregularity, if it is possible the team captains should agree on a ruling. If the captains agree, then the ruling is final. If the captains cannot agree on a ruling, then both should submit written statements of the event to the league commissioner who will make a ruling in consultation with a director. If there is disagreement about a ruling during the knockout phase, the teams should play the playoff boards in case the result of the ruling is a tie.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users