• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this double mean?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-16, 15:20

IMPs converted to VPs.

By an unpassed hand, partner's double would be "bid your major" and 4H and 4S would be natural [corrected from original post]. Does this change here?

This post has been edited by lamford: 2018-February-16, 18:33

I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 16:57

So dbl and 4 mean the same?

If the idea is that x is a mild slam invite while 4 is a sign off, then I think it also applies to a passed hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-February-16, 17:02

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-February-16, 16:57, said:

So dbl and 4 mean the same?

If the idea is that x is a mild slam invite while 4 is a sign off, then I think it also applies to a passed hand.

Yes, on reflection, 4H and 4S by an un-passed hand have to be to play, and double must say "bid your major". The doubler can then move if suitable when he knows the major. By a passed hand, 4H is pass or correct, 4S is to play in spades or clubs, and double should be either penalties or "bid your major". I was persuaded by some good players that the latter was better on the grounds of frequency.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 17:14

View Postlamford, on 2018-February-16, 17:02, said:

By a passed hand,[...] and double should be either penalties or "bid your major". I was persuaded by some good players that the latter was better on the grounds of frequency.

So what hand would need to dbl because 4 is not suitable? Mild slam invite? I can't really think of anything else.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-February-16, 18:29

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-February-16, 17:14, said:

So what hand would need to dbl because 4 is not suitable? Mild slam invite? I can't really think of anything else.

The hand my partner had: AQxx x xxx JTxxx when he is too good for 4S when we make 7C or 7S opposite KJxxx Axx none AKQxx. So, he doubles, saying "bid your major", and then corrects the likely 4H to 5C. He is now known to be making a slam try or he would have just bid 4S (pass or correct as well). This one I got wrong and -510 was just punishment.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-February-17, 01:36

He has an easy 4 bid if he wants a major, he can't be asking to play there since he is coming from pass.
Despite what i wrote above this double shows cards in case they continue bidding. It is like a cue bid. Pd can not have a penalty double even if you cherry pick a hand for a penalty double.
You may ask why not 4 but DBL? As I said above pd will bid 4 even with 0 hcp and 4-4 majors. Dbl tells you he has values too, imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 07:05

View Postlamford, on 2018-February-16, 17:02, said:

Yes, on reflection, 4H and 4S by an un-passed hand have to be to play, and double must say "bid your major". The doubler can then move if suitable when he knows the major. By a passed hand, 4H is pass or correct, 4S is to play in spades or clubs, and double should be either penalties or "bid your major". I was persuaded by some good players that the latter was better on the grounds of frequency.

4h = POC 4s = spades or clubs covers everything the two suiter might have. In conjunction with this those first two choices might be best off as limited to a hand not good enough to x. A passed hand can still have a tremendous range as far as effectiveness
and slam capability that cannot be simply expressed with a 4h or 4s bid. X should be reserved for those hands that might consider slam. It could be as simple as Axxx Axxx xx xxx a big major suit fit with a couple of aces all the way to Kxxxx x xxxx Axx and a strong willingness to consider slam IF spades is the major. Thus a sequence of 3d 4c 4d x p 4h p 4s would show this type of slam interested hand. That may be what you meant when you said show your major but I felt it necessary to add the extra info.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users