• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#61 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-August-27, 16:38

luke warm, on Aug 27 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

well i finally saw no country for old men, and i thought it was great... my only problem was the ending, if there's some hidden meaning there maybe on of you can reveal it to me... now i have there will be tears to watch, but based on reviews here i should enjoy it

No Country for Old Men was worth the price of admission just for the scene where Josh Brolin was trying to pack and get his wife out of Dodge, and she kept barraging him with questions including how long she'll have to be gone for, until he finally gets exasperated and says, "At what point would you quit looking for YOUR two million dollars?"

Will have to check out Tell No One. Love Harlan Coben.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#62 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-27, 20:07

Luke, are you referring to the dream Sheriff Bell talks about at the end?

Maybe it was his way of saying he understood after all why his father had become a lawman and why he'd become one too.

I love that dream.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#63 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2008-August-28, 04:19

no, i just thought the ending left everything hanging... maybe i'm being picky (or maybe there'll be a sequel)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#64 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-August-28, 23:29

Hmmm, can tell I am a party of one here. I like fun, entertaining movies. I liked Knocked Up. The one movie that I will stop and watch anytime that it is on is Dave. I like anything made in the 30's. And I like anything that has my son's animations or is written or directed by my nephew.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#65 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2008-August-29, 06:11

If it makes me laugh, I like it.
If it makes me wonder, I like it.
If it makes me understand, I like it.
In that order. :o
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#66 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-29, 07:09

JoAnneM, on Aug 29 2008, 12:29 AM, said:

Hmmm, can tell I am a party of one here. I like fun, entertaining movies. I liked Knocked Up. The one movie that I will stop and watch anytime that it is on is Dave. I like anything made in the 30's. And I like anything that has my son's animations or is written or directed by my nephew.

I love movies from the thirties also. I watch the Thin Man movies all the time. Just watched The Great Ziegfield last night. Best Picture 1936.

#67 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-29, 07:12

mike777, on Aug 29 2008, 05:09 AM, said:

JoAnneM, on Aug 29 2008, 12:29 AM, said:

Hmmm, can tell I am a party of one here.  I like fun, entertaining movies.  I liked Knocked Up.  The one movie that I will stop and watch anytime that it is on is Dave.  I like anything made in the 30's.  And I like anything that has my son's animations or is written or directed by my nephew.

I love movies from the thirties also. I watch the Thin Man movies all the time. Just watched The Great Ziegfield last night. Best Picture 1936.

I just got to see the original on a plane (it was one of those with a personal tv where you get to pick what's showing on it). I very much enjoyed it.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#68 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2008-September-12, 19:53

Jlall, on Jul 12 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

A little late on this one, but agree with Noble's reccomendation for There Will Be Blood. Easily the best movie I've seen recently (and not-so-recently).

well i watched it tonight, and there were some brilliant performances... i usually don't care for depressing tales, but this was a great movie
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#69 User is offline   waubrey 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-13, 11:00

I loved Knocked Up. I actuallky slipped forward out of my chair laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes at one point.
Video of the Day - http://www.latare.com

#70 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-13, 11:06

waubrey, on Sep 13 2008, 09:00 AM, said:

I loved Knocked Up. I actuallky slipped forward out of my chair laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes at one point.

Yeah we watched Knocked Up for the 5th time or so last night. One of those movies that you laugh in every scene.

I want to see Pineapple Express really bad, but will probably wait for it to be on cable next year.
"Phil" on BBO

#71 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-September-13, 11:43

pclayton, on Sep 13 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

waubrey, on Sep 13 2008, 09:00 AM, said:

Yeah we watched Knocked Up for the 5th time or so last night. One of those movies that you laugh in every scene.

I want to see Pineapple Express really bad, but will probably wait for it to be on cable next year.

I liked Knocked Up, but prefer 40 Year Old Virgin. Tropic Thunder is funny for the not-easily-offended.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#72 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2008-September-15, 13:10

Any of you seen Kabluey? I thought it was a nice movie, although obviously it never aspired to be a classic.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#73 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2008-September-15, 13:16

Saw Burn After Reading yesterday afternoon

It was so-so (and this is from someone who loves the Coen brothers). What's really sad is that this could have been great.

The core idea was lovely and the casting was brilliant.
Sadly, the execution was sporadic at best
Alderaan delenda est

#74 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2008-September-15, 16:13

i hate to hear that, richard... it sure looks like a great movie and the cast has some great actors

#75 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-September-16, 02:28

My girlfriend and I watched Disaster Movie last Sunday. The name is quite apt. What a pile of rubbish.

That is all.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#76 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2008-November-12, 10:27

Let The Right One In

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" from "Stand By Me" -- quoted in John Anderson's review of "Let The Right One In"

How do you make a credible, memorable film about a 12-year old boy, a 12-year old girl (a vampire) and an amazing friendship that evolves amid alternating scenes of throat slitting gruesomeness and heart warming tenderness?

Not sure even Chuck Norris could pull this off. Somehow, Tomas Alfredson & Co. manage to, imo.

Filmed in Swedish. With subtitles. Some scenes are violent, bloody and disturbing.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#77 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-January-15, 20:46

When you get the chance you must rent Man on Wire.

If you have not yet seen Slumdog....see it.

#78 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-January-15, 20:47

y66, on Nov 12 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

Let The Right One In

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" from "Stand By Me" -- quoted in John Anderson's review of "Let The Right One In"

How do you make a credible, memorable film about a 12-year old boy, a 12-year old girl (a vampire) and an amazing friendship that evolves amid alternating scenes of throat slitting gruesomeness and heart warming tenderness?

Not sure even Chuck Norris could pull this off. Somehow, Tomas Alfredson & Co. manage to, imo.

Filmed in Swedish. With subtitles. Some scenes are violent, bloody and disturbing.

thanks for the heads up have this on my list...it has yet to make it to my local town.

#79 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-16, 09:19

hrothgar, on Sep 15 2008, 02:16 PM, said:

Saw Burn After Reading yesterday afternoon

It was so-so (and this is from someone who loves the Coen brothers). What's really sad is that this could have been great.

The core idea was lovely and the casting was brilliant.
Sadly, the execution was sporadic at best

yes it was not what i was expecting from the brothers, ....but was was really weird was how all of these people in the move were actually the same.

#80 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-16, 14:01

y66, on Nov 12 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

Let The Right One In

I too really liked the film, but thought the vampire's gender (if there's any such thing) was ambiguous. As I recall, there were pointed references to the ambiguity in the dialog ("Would you still like me if I weren't a girl" or something like that) and in the screenplay as well...
foobar on BBO

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users