• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#621 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-June-02, 13:35

I never watched the show, although I heard it was really good. Would someone unfamiliar with the characters be lost trying to watch the movie?

#622 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-June-02, 14:19

I saw Booksmart yesterday

Solid movie, strong performances by the leads, with a few absolutely hysterical moments.

Billie Lourd stole the show.

Inferior to Superbad (with which it is getting a lot of comparisons)
Alderaan delenda est

#623 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-02, 14:37

View Postbarmar, on 2019-June-02, 13:35, said:

I never watched the show, although I heard it was really good. Would someone unfamiliar with the characters be lost trying to watch the movie?

The movie is a kind of closure for fans of an amazing show that was abruptly canceled after its third season in 2006 and, IMO, a somewhat sentimental send-off to an amazing cast. I would hesitate to recommend it to people who aren't Deadwood fans. If you have HBO, "Here Was A Man" (Season 1, Episode 4) is a good intro to the show.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#624 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-03, 14:57

I went to several films at the Zurich Film Festival:

Official Secrets - based on a true story. I found it interesting, but not a very remarkable film. The thing that Adam and I took away most is that rule of law seemed much stronger in the UK (at the time, at least - 2003) then we would have expected it to be in the US:
[hide]
The main character did several things, and we expected her to be disappeared, but that didn't seem to happen. [/hide]

Zu Weit Weg - Really cute German kids' movie. A boy's village is about to be demolished, so his family moves to a nearby town, and he has to make new friends, join a new soccer team, etc. I found this movie sweet, but not sacchariney. It may be weird, but I also liked that there was no "bad guy", especially one that behaves badly just because they're the "bad guy". If you have a child in your life (10-13 years old or so) who is willing to watch a movie with subtitles, or who speaks German, I highly recommend it. Or if you just want to see a feel-good movie.

Incitement - This is NOT a feel good movie, but is very worth watching. It exams the lead-up to the assassination of Yitzchak Rabin, the Israeli PM who signed the Oslo Accords, concentrating on the point of view of the assassin. To be clear, it is not ENDORSING the point of view of the assassin, rather it is condemnatory of all the people who helped create the environment and incited him into action. I cried at both the beginning and end of the movie. I also think that the conclusions and warnings it has are very applicable to what is going on in the US now, so recommend it even to people who don't know the history behind what happened. (Although I will say, there are a lot of cultural hints in the movie that I think added to my understanding, that I'm not sure a non-Israeli or someone who doesn't know about sects in Israeli and Jewish life may miss. On the other hand, I saw this movie with a friend who didn't know anything about this period of history or Israel in general, and she was also greatly affected by the movie.)
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#625 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-25, 21:13

"The Guilty" starring Jakob Cedergren. Directed by Gustav Möller. Fred Rogers meets Nordic noir. Too gripping for words. Wow.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#626 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 18:21

Hillary: Ocean to Sky
This is a cute documentary about a boat trip on Ganges. Not particularly memorable, but nevertheless a beautiful film that leaves you in good mood.

Downtown Abby:
I think the cinema version is a too condensed version of the TV series. Or maybe it's just me who is not familiar enough with that aspect of British history (or British history in general, for that matter). The plot didn't make much sense to me. But technically the film was well made. If you like British films you and you are a bit more into British history than I am, you will probably like this film.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#627 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-15, 14:15

Watched recently Carol Reed's (The Third Man, Oliver!) British made film noir 'Odd Man Out' starring James Mason as an IRA terrorist on the run in Belfast shortly after the Second World War. It might have been made way back in 1947 in black and white, but it's still gripping and atmospheric.

#628 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-15, 14:48

Knives Out: I must say I enjoyed watching it.

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users