• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do I chat to lobby? Flash feature request

#1 User is offline   ronnie1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-June-08, 04:34

hi,

Firstly thanks for the Flash developments, please keep them coming :)
I used the latest version yesterday on my EeePC and as host, couldn't post a comment to the lobby to invite a partner. I can think of three possibilities. 1) it doesn't exist, so here's a feature request 2) it exists but was not in the same place as chat to ops or table so please tweak the navigation 3) it was there all the time and I have just embarrassed myself in front of the BBO world so please be tolerant of a simple soul. I don't think it was point three!

Ronnie

#2 User is offline   OrShoham 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-June-08, 05:28

fred, on May 10 2008, 09:18 AM, said:

There is no such thing as lobby chat in BBOFlash.

If your partner is not on your friend list, you should be able to send them a private message by using the "Find Member" option, assuming you know (and can spell) their BBO name :)

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-June-08, 06:15

We removed chat->lobby from the flash client

#4 User is offline   ronnie1 

• Pip

Posted 2008-June-09, 08:31

Ok thanks. Now I am respectfully questioning the decision to remove it. If you have a lobby, surely it should be possible to post to it? If the BBO team is using the Flash beta to change chat behaviour then I suggest you do the same with the exe version as well or it will never change. You may have noticed my username is not well chosen for list placement so I am always going to wait longer than someone called "111aaa".

The scenario was a very common one. My pick up partner in the Main club leaves and my ops get twitchy because it has been a while waiting. I don't have a friend online that I want to drag out of their own game and am just looking for another pick up partner (hopefully one that will stay around a bit longer than the last one). One op suggested I invite from the lobby and wasn't too pleased when I told them I couldn't because of the Flash Beta version! Of course, the table collapsed in confusion, leaving me feeling like a second class host :D

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-09, 12:19

Our current thinking is that the large volume of lobby chat and its low signal to noise ratio make it an ineffective mechanism for putting games together.

For new users to BBO the default setting is that lobby chat is turned off. We learned this lesson the hard way after hearing repeated complaints from new members that they found lobby chat to be overwhelming.

There are other disadvantages of lobby chat from our point of view:

- Lobby chat is the easiest and most efficient way for a crazy BBO member to disturb/upset lots of other BBO members
- A strain on our servers

Sorry for those of you who are inconvenienced but adding lobby chat to BBOFlash is not likely to happen. Eventually I expect we will come up with some new and largely automated ways of putting tables together with players.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-June-09, 12:26

For new users to BBO the default setting is that lobby chat is turned off.

For what it's worth - I agree.

One of the first things I did when joining BBO over 2 years ago was to find a way to turn off the Lobby Chat.

Wow - the noise :P

#7 User is offline   OrShoham 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-June-09, 12:29

ronnie1, on Jun 9 2008, 09:31 AM, said:

You may have noticed my username is not well chosen for list placement so I am always going to wait longer than someone called "111aaa".

Perhaps the "Take me to a Game" option can be tweaked so it's biased towards tables that have been waiting a long time (if that information is tracked), or towards tables near the bottom of the list. If the information is not currently being tracked, you could let the table host set a "Looking for (a) player(s)" flag which would track time and be used to bias player assignment. Alternatively, perhaps players can flag that they are "looking for any game" and get pulled in using a mechanism similar to the sub list used for tournaments.

#8 User is offline   Politicat 

• Pip

Posted 2011-February-26, 21:48

This sounds really stupid, but I need information on what the table host's duties are?...

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-26, 22:08

View PostPoliticat, on 2011-February-26, 21:48, said:

This sounds really stupid, but I need information on what the table host's duties are?...

You might don't have to do much, but... The table host can remove an inactive player from the table... You want to check the table settings to see whether new players require host's permission to join the table; either make it no permission required, or be ready to screen potential players. That's really it.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-February-27, 22:00

The table host sets the form of scoring for the table, and can reset the score to 0 (this is often done when new players sit in).

#11 User is offline   jdusa 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-05, 19:59

I have Lobby in my chat options. Is this a problem

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-July-06, 19:11

View Postjdusa, on 2019-July-05, 19:59, said:

I have Lobby in my chat options. Is this a problem

We added this feature several years ago. This thread is over a decade old.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users