BBO Discussion Forums: 1) What is partner doing? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1) What is partner doing? 2) What is partner's hand?

#1 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2009-August-19, 11:05

The opps pass throughout
the game is imp pairs
location BBO -MBC
your partner is a fairly regular partner of yours on BBO, skill level from adv to expurt, depending on opinion and how much sleep he/she's gotten B) .
the vulnerability really doesn't matter (which means that I forget)

I am only giving the bidding, not the hands. What is partner doing? what is partner looking for? Any idea what Partner hand is?

Partner: 1, You: 1
Partner: 2, You: 2
Partner: 3, You: 3NT
Partner: 4, You: 4
Partner: 5 !!!!!

What is partner doing, what is partner looking for, any idea what partner's hand is? (Hint: Partner is not 4-suited)
BTW: There were no conventional bids in this auction with the possible exception of your 2 spade rebid meaning only that you had 5+ spades.

Enjoy: DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-August-19, 11:12

Partner has clubs and spades, something in diamonds, no more than one heart.

Partner has controls in all suits except clubs.

Possible hand:

AKxx
---
AKx
QJxxxx

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-19, 11:24

Looks like Exclusion Blacky to me
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 11:36

Does not exist, 3 was non-forcing.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 12:07

Double !, on Aug 19 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

The opps pass throughout
the game is imp pairs
location BBO -MBC
your partner is a fairly regular partner of yours on BBO, skill level from adv to expurt, depending on opinion and how much sleep he/she's gotten B) .
the vulnerability really doesn't matter (which means that I forget)

I am only giving the bidding, not the hands. What is partner doing? what is partner looking for? Any idea what Partner hand is?

Partner: 1, You: 1
Partner: 2, You: 2
Partner: 3, You: 3NT
Partner: 4, You: 4
Partner: 5 !!!!!

What is partner doing, what is partner looking for, any idea what partner's hand is? (Hint: Partner is not 4-suited)
BTW: There were no conventional bids in this auction with the possible exception of your 2 spade rebid meaning only that you had 5+ spades.

Enjoy: DHL

my take it on this is partner wants you to bid 6 if you have either the A and good ( maybe as bad as KJT?) or solid but no stop.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-19, 12:22

1. partner is smoking something
2. irrelevant
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-August-19, 12:42

Partner opens 1. That part is easy.

After you respond 1, partner rebids 2, a reverse. Now, at this point, I'm not sure of the style used here. Is this alone GF in the approach or not?

In any event, you rebid 2, showing 5+ spades. Does this establish a GF or not?

After that, partner bids 3. Whatever that shows, it shows fit.

You then bid 3NT, which NOW converts the sequence to GF, assuredly. But, what is 3NT in your methods? Game choice? Slam move?

Partner bids 4, ostensibly a cue in support of spades, but in theory it might be natural, depending on what is going on in your partnership.

You bid 4. I'm still not sure what anyone has or is showing, because I don't know what anyone has shown or denied so far.

However, partner now bids 5. This is a shortness bid, I hope. However, I suppose that it is remotely possible that this sequence somehow or other could exist where partner has a rock but two heart losers. Maybe 2 was a manufactured reverse with 3253 shape and a 19-count (partner never upgrading?) Maybe partner has something like AKQ xx AQx AJ109x? That would be sick, though.

So, I assume shortness. But, what kind?

If 5 after 3NT would have been Exclusion, then why wait? Maybe partner thought 3NT was serious or frivolous and that bypassing 4 means that you do not have the wasted Ace or King of hearts, hence just enough for him to now bid Exclusion?

Or, maybe this just shows the heart void and is a cue. Something like AKQ -- AKxxx QJ10xx?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:02

3 is NF, so the subsequent 5 is a mystery.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:03

Before being able to answer the questions and guess on partner's hand, need to know your agreements in reverse auctions. I assume 2D was a standard reverse, showing 5+ clubs and at least a good 16+ in HCP, with either a 4-card diamond suit or with very bulky shorter diamonds.
In my methods, 2S was showing 5+ spades, neither promising nor denying better than minimum response. 3S was non-forcing, showing support. 3NT has heart stopper, doubleton in clubs and three or fewer diamonds, and obviously GF :)
4D was cue. 4S signoff denying heart ace or king. 5H denying club ace, asking partner to bid slam if he has club ace.

Opener's shape is 3-1-4-5, 4-1-3-5. 4-0-4-5, 3-0-4-6, 4-0-3-6, 3-2-2-6 with AK diamonds, or some such.

#10 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:18

I wish I could convey my points as well as KenR....

I'm thinking the hand is something like:
3s, void, 4d, 6c ...

I'm wondering, though, if partner really has 4 cards Sp, and felt stuck for a forcing bid and made a "manufactured " reverse into Diam with something like ArtK's hand;
but I'm going to have to go on the assumption that 3S = 3 card support.
  With a GF 4s/6c, Opener could have rebid the "convention with no name" 4C!.
  ...or with 4s/5c and Ht shortness, he could have rebid 3H! = reverse-jump-cue.

2H! by Responder would have been Lebensohl*, the start of a weak sequence.
Any other bid by Responder is forward-going ( and for all intents and purposes, is GF ).
2S = 5+Sp.

If Opener is as strong as the 5H! bid portends, then why a 4D cue, bypassing a Cl cue ?
Anyway, he bid 5H!, and if it doesn't change anything from your perspective, try to sign-off in 5S.
However, if you have the Cl Ace ( or King ), I'd go to 6S with the assumption that partner has a hand something like : ♠AQx ♥--- ♦AKQx ♣QJ10xxx
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )

#11 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:53

peachy, on Aug 19 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

Opener's shape is 3-1-4-5, 4-1-3-5, 4-0-4-5, 3-0-4-6, 4-0-3-6, 3-2-2-6 with AK diamonds, or some such.

I think we can rule out any shape that has a singleton heart unless it is the stiff Ace. The lack of a 4H cuebid makes it impossible that partner has continued on while also missing the A or K of clubs which can be inferred by the lack of a 4C cuebid. This eliminates 3-1-4-5, 4-1-3-5, and he absolutely cannot have 3-2-2-6. (Side note: 4-1-3-5 should have splintered over 2S).

While some people do not like splintering with a void, I am not one of them and would have splintered on 4-0-4-5 and 4-0-3-6 as well and then continued with one more try over the 4S signoff, so for me, these two holdings are also eliminated.

This leaves only 3-0-4-6, or 3-0-3-7 as the only two reasonable remaining distributions, imo. I'm inclined to believe that he is 3-0-4-6. I think partner is looking for one of the top clubs, either the A or K. If I have either one of them, then that has to be what he needs, and I will show it by bidding 6C. If I don't have either, it's a moot point since his bidding makes no sense and I will just sign off again in 5S.

jmoo
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#12 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:56

Free, on Aug 19 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think Exclusion requires a jump to the 5 level.

5H over 3N would be exclusion, but not here.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#13 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-August-19, 14:15

cherdanno, on Aug 19 2009, 12:36 PM, said:

Does not exist, 3 was non-forcing.

2 was a reverse. Some people would play that 2 was GF afterwards..ie no leb or ing. Therefore 3 would be forcing.

#14 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 14:19

Free, on Aug 19 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

Could be with 3 card support, hence no immediate splinter over 1, but why didn't opener splinter 4 then over 2? (Perhaps he felt that might confuse/// but :) the OP sequence is also confusing)

#15 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-19, 14:59

5 doesn't exist. None of us has a club control, and we both know it. I play 3 as forcing here - 4 would be a game try over 2.
Kind regards,
Harald

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 15:02

In order to try to figure out what partner is doing, it would help to see the hand held by the OP.

I also need to know, as pointed out by others, what 3NT was after bidding twice and getting a raise to 3. Was it choice of games or at least a mild slam move? (serious..semi serious..frivolous..whatever?)

Also, can PD manufacture a 2 reverse on less than 4 cards? (I realize that you may not know if PD will do this)

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-August-19, 16:18

skaeran, on Aug 19 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

5 doesn't exist. None of us has a club control, and we both know it. I play 3 as forcing here - 4 would be a game try over 2.

Technically, not necessarily.

If 4 by Opener would have shown, say, two of the top three honors (because he opened clubs) or the Ace (for the same reason), then Opener could have a club control.

If Responder is actually known to not have a club control, a big IF, IMO, then Opener's failure to bid 5 does not deny a club control. You don't have to cue anything that contextually you must have. In fact, if pener actually must have a club control to bypass game, then I'd suggest that 5 would show the Ace whereas bypassing 5 shows second-round control -- the King.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-19, 17:26

4th suit forcing.

Well this makes as much sense as bidding 3 non-forcing and then deciding your are slammish when a limited partner shows no trump stoppers in your short suit.

I meaning really the auction makes no sense or there is something about your methods that you didn't tell us.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-19, 17:46

3 non forcing makes me laugh, really. It is the strongest bid avaible.

I agree with Art, something desperate for a club control, we actually denied Ace or King, but we can still have singleton.

AKx
-
AKQJ
QJxxxx

Maybe A and 1 less club.

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-19, 18:02

Fluffy, on Aug 20 2009, 11:46 AM, said:

3 non forcing makes me laugh, really. It is the strongest bid avaible.

I agree with Art, something desperate for a club control, we actually denied Ace or King, but we can still have singleton.

AKx
-
AKQJ
QJxxxx

Maybe A and 1 less club.

Who showed extra values?

Opener made a one round force followed by a minimum raise.

Responder rebid a suit at the minimum level.

If there is some gadget in play then we need to know to answer the question meaningfully.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users