Citizen Kane.
La Dolce Vita.

#22 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2011-April-04, 12:25

View PostFluffy, on 2011-April-03, 23:28, said:

[snip]Althou normal people can't understand why the ***** that ***** is so expensive, some gay "artists" think of it as faboulous or wonderful.

[snip] a piece of ***** made for gay (or gay-looking straight) artists who are the only ones to ever understand it.

Kinda of topic but I have to say that gay people are normal people. In all your posts you're a nice and friendly guy Fluffy. This homofobic post suprises me.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-April-04, 17:05

This homofobic post suprises me.

A quote from The Exorcist for Fluffy: "Fear the priest."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-April-05, 03:35

My apologies, I don't really have any homophobic beliefs. I Was talking about that artistic elitist steryotype used in films, wich is related to gay people in fiction, my lack of artistic knowledge didn't let me explain the things with better words.

Not sure why I used the gay reference, what I really though of the film was that you needed to be on drugs to understand it. being gay, being on drugs, mullholland drive and modern art all have one thing in common, I don't understand them (and lack knowledge about them).

#25 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-April-05, 03:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-April-04, 17:05, said:

A quote from The Exorcist for Fluffy: "Fear the priest."

who's the priest here?

#26 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-April-05, 07:15

View PostFluffy, on 2011-April-03, 23:28, said:

I have avoided to watch Titanic, and I plan to remain the same for the rest of my life.

*EDITED FOR A BETTER WORDING*
Watching mullholland drive was the same feeling like watching a piece of art composed of whatever 2/3 simple things (for example an empty can and a feather) and you look at it and see nothing but an empty can and a feather, but it is worth millions, and people say it is wonderful and faboulous and hwo ironic that the feather is "just slightly above the can", but you can't see anything but a damned empty can and a feather. That's what I though when watching mullholland drive.

I haven't watched english patient nor No country for old men yet.

You have just exposed yourself as being from Madrid instead of being from Barcelona. I bet Dalí is rolling in his grave from your comments.

To remain on topic, I have been downloading some movies as of late and watched 'The Adjuster'. A film by Atom Egoyan which would make David Lynch very proud.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#27 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-April-16, 19:26

I now have to add Avatar to this list. It is showing on HBO and so far I have been able to watch pretty close to none of it. I think the reason is that I strongly prefer the cartoons I watch to admit to being cartoons and not to try to trick me into thinking I am watching a movie.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-16, 23:50

Born on the 4th of July.

I only watched it because I was actually born on that day. Trouble is I paid to see it at the cinema, so felt obliged to sit through the hours of tortuous boredom.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#29 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-April-17, 08:51

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-April-16, 23:50, said:

Born on the 4th of July.

I only watched it because I was actually born on that day. Trouble is I paid to see it at the cinema, so felt obliged to sit through the hours of tortuous boredom.

That is too hilarious. Did you think it was going to be about you or what?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-17, 11:14

View Posty66, on 2011-April-17, 08:51, said:

That is too hilarious. Did you think it was going to be about you or what?

Heh - I had no particular expectations. It lived up to them
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#31 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-April-19, 17:26

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-April-16, 23:50, said:

Born on the 4th of July.

"P***S!!!!!! P***S, P***S, P***S, P***S, P***S!!!! BIG F***ING ERECT P***S, MA!"

That line is classic....

#32 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-23, 01:50

View PostFoxx, on 2011-April-19, 17:26, said:

"P***S!!!!!! P***S, P***S, P***S, P***S, P***S!!!! BIG F***ING ERECT P***S, MA!"

That line is classic....

Go on, admit it. If someone produced a box office hit called "Born on the 18th of January" you would feel a temptation to go and see it.

#33 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-25, 04:08

Now this one looks like a "keeper":
William and Kate - the movie

ROFL. Where *did* they get the funding?

#34 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-14, 12:00

Judging from my friends I am betting that Will and Kate movie will be a hit. A huge number of people watched the wedding. As in, close to 50% of people that I know.

As to great movies that I cannot get through. There are a bunch that I failed to get through, but mostly it was because they were to emotionally draining.

The first few times I tried to watch "Schindler's List" I got really upset and had to stop, although I eventually finished it. I also found "The Killing Field's" too depressing/upsetting. There are a buch of famous horror movies that I just thought were pretty absurd and stopped watching. Child's play? Is that hte name, with the killer doll?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-May-14, 17:45

Never watched "The Killing Fields" (why do people insist on putting apostrophes in places they don't belong?) Never had any interest in doing so. Same is true of things like "Apocalypse Now" and "Platoon". Something to do with having seen enough of that ***** in real life. I did watch (and enjoy) "M.A.S.H." and "Good Morning, Vietnam". :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-May-14, 19:02

I've yet to get through the sound of music. Each time I try, I fall asleep after the yoodling song.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#37 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-14, 19:38

View PostRain, on 2011-May-14, 19:02, said:

I've yet to get through the sound of music. Each time I try, I fall asleep after the yoodling song.

I think one of the kids, in adult life, explained that they really didn't walk over the Alps, but rather they took a train to Italy.

I guess I enjoyed the movie well enough. Just remember to whistle a happy tune. No, that's The King and I. Remember a few of your favorite things, maybe? Of course we all know that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.

And we wonder why kids don't listen to what adults tell them!
Ken

#38 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-May-15, 10:47

View Postkenberg, on 2011-May-14, 19:38, said:

I think one of the kids, in adult life, explained that they really didn't walk over the Alps, but rather they took a train to Italy.

I guess I enjoyed the movie well enough. Just remember to whistle a happy tune. No, that's The King and I. Remember a few of your favorite things, maybe? Of course we all know that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.

And we wonder why kids don't listen to what adults tell them!

It's plain to 'splain that Italy's found by train.

#39 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-15, 18:45

Not of the same "quality" as these, but friends of mine and I walked out of Rango in the theatre recently about half way through. That had a 89% rating at rotten tomato.

Another "classic" that I didn't like and found it hard to get all the way through would be Breakfast at Tiffany's. I agree with others that Titanic is over rated, but I don't think it is actually bad or unwatchable.

A book version of this thread for me is 1984. I like books, and I like sci-fi, but I've started 1984 twice and not finished it either time.

#40 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-January-20, 11:37

View Postkenberg, on 2011-April-01, 14:36, said:

I guess I have seen worse (maybe not a lot worse) than Being John... or maybe I was just in a charitable mood. I did wonder why the hell I was watching it. But as I recall I made it to the end. (Which is not the same as saying I recall how it ends!)

Back to David Lynch for a moment. Enough people have told me how great he is, and in particular how great Mulholland Drive is, that I keep intending to give it another try. But then I read that if you buy the DVD it comes with some extra stuff that gives hints about how to interpret what you are seeing. Now there is a guy with a gimmick a huckster could love. Get people to see your movie, then tell them if you pay some more money you will be given some clues about what to make of it!

I've always wondered who calls in to newspapers to buy hints to the crossword puzzle. Probably the same people who buy the Mulholland Drive DVD.

I finally got around to watching Mulholland Drive last night. Enjoyed it. I'm not a big David Lynch fan but I do enjoy his work even if he does cross the line on weirdness sometimes which he did not do in this movie. Your LOW may vary.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users