• You cannot reply to this topic

July jobs report

#21 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-August-08, 06:08

hrothgar, on 2012-August-06, 17:12, said:

If the election were held today, Obama would win pretty handily...

On the Republican front, you need to recall that Romney was considered the moderate of the bunch.
I suspect that a Romney loss will cause the Republican's to double down on stupid...

recently, gen. david petraeus' name was floated as a possible vp candidate... i don't know if that's true, or if he would consider it if asked, but i can't imagine democrats being pleased by that choice
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#22 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 06:35

luke warm, on 2012-August-08, 06:08, said:

recently, gen. david petraeus' name was floated as a possible vp candidate... i don't know if that's true, or if he would consider it if asked, but i can't imagine democrats being pleased by that choice

I find it highly unlikely the republican party will do something this intelligent. They will think, "we already have the military vote, so why choose a general? Instead we must pick some fringe buffoon in a vain attempt to attract a voting bloc that we otherwise suck at attracting." That's what they did last time anyway. Have they learned? I guess we'll see.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#23 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 06:39

Winstonm, on 2012-August-08, 05:55, said:

The data indicate that minimum wage increases are followed by boosts to GDP. Whether this evidence is correlated versus causitive I cannot say, but it makes sense that when 72% of GDP is based on consumption to increase the amount of capital available to those who consume 100% of revenue would be stimulative to the economy, don't you think?

The problem is that the minimum wage involves a mass of sticky concepts that are not easily untangled. It certainly seems implausible that it affects enough revenue to appear in GDP statistics though :).

People are generally paid close to their marginal productivity, so a minimum wage can make some jobs unprofitable. If the aim of the minimum wage is to redistribute wealth, a nakedly redistributive position is surely better.

Further, some jobs have non monetary benefits. Accountants for example, are put through training worth tens of thousands of pounds a year. It makes sense then to work at quite a high level job for low wages if you are getting such a large `hidden' benefit. Of course, accountants get reasonably paid anyway, but a fraction of what they do when they qualify, mostly because of training costs. Less well paid apprentince ships also suffer. Particularly those who would take young workers. Schemes where kids work with a friends dad as a plumber for the summer holidays for a relative pittance, in order to gain work experience, are now essentially illegal. Internships are likely to go the same way in the UK, where it will shortly be illegal to work for free, as it is said to benefit the children of the wealthly (probably true).

Other consequences often include mechanisation, and replacing jobs with machines that cost less. By raising the wages this effect moves up the priority list.

Of course, there are some odd beneficial effects. Some employers who were happy employing lots of cheap labour and not really working them very hard, were forced into laying of some staff and improving the productivity of those who remain. This effect has been quite widespread, and is obviously a huge win for those who remain unemployed.

In practice very few workers remain on the minimum wage for very long. For those persons whose time on the minimum wage is only a step into better paid employment, there is a clear case that they can lose out since the minimum wage makes it harder to get on the ladder. This also applies to those who lack the skills even for minimum wage employment, they may once have been able to generate an employment history by working sub minimum wage, inorder to graduate into minimum wage employment.

ON the other hand, the only real winners are those workers who were being exploited, in the sense of being paid much less than their marginal product, since when their wages are raised, it makes no difference to their employment status, as they remain profitable. I have no real sense of how common that situation might be. It seems that workers rights in the UK are fairly well established, and I am not at all convinced that that type of problem really existed.

On the note of redistribution: It is generally dangerous to mess with market outcomes, as it can have unpredictable effects. Instead I prefer in naked redistribution? if you work more than x hours a week in employment, and your wage is less than y per hour, the government will make it up to y in benefits. This type of policy also avoids the poverty trap, as it is always profitable to work more hours.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#24 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-08, 07:04

luke warm, on 2012-August-08, 06:08, said:

I find the very concept laughable. Romney's entire campaign is being run on economic issues. You expect me to believe that Romney wants to change tack and make foreign policy a focus of the campaign?

Americans are sick of the wars and want to forget them
They (rightfully) blame the Bush administration for invading the wrong country

I am willing to bet up to $500 at 10:1 odds that Patraeus will not be the Republic VP candidate.
Alderaan delenda est

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 07:10

hrothgar, on 2012-August-08, 07:04, said:

I find the very concept laughable. Romney's entire campaign is being run on economic issues. You expect me to believe that Romney wants to change tack and make foreign policy a focus of the campaign?

I am willing to bet up to $500 at 10:1 odds that Patraeus will not be the Republic VP candidate.

I'll take it at $2, winner pays bank fees. :)

#26 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 12:13

Returning to the original topic, here is why its dangerous to read too much into the jobs report atm.

Posted Image

From here

Red line is BLS data, blue line is the houshold surveys. As you can see they are not telling close to the same story atm. (These are smoothed moving averages).

#27 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-08, 12:39

phil_20686, on 2012-August-08, 07:10, said:

I'll take it at $2, winner pays bank fees. :)

For that small a bet, I figure that its easiest to mail you a $10 bill...
Alderaan delenda est

#28 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 13:00

hrothgar, on 2012-August-08, 12:39, said:

For that small a bet, I figure that its easiest to mail you a $10 bill...

I carefully sized it so you would lose money paying international mail charges from the UK, but i would get a tidy profit of $6. That is free money mate :P

#29 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 15:04

In fact there is strong evidence (in the US anyway) that many workers are not paid close to their marginal productivity. Median wages have been stagnant (adjusting for inflation) for some 30 years while productivity (and GDP) grew substantially.

Right now there is an additional problem that the supply of (unskilled) labor greatly outpaces the demand. There are many people working at or near the minimum wage, and even very profitable companies (for example: Caterpillar, Verizon) are cutting wages and/or benefits.

In this environment the minimum wage is one of the few things keeping people above water. Raising it makes a great deal of sense. Such a change is unlikely to cause mass layoffs, since a lack of demand for goods is causing the unemployment (not a lack of corporate cash flow or profits).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#30 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-August-08, 15:37

hrothgar, on 2012-August-08, 07:04, said:

luckily, romney is capable of multitasking... he's done it before

so does that mean you think he would help or hurt the reps?

10:1 isn't enough, i judge the real odds to be more like 22 or 23 to 1... i'd never call a pot offering me 10 to 1 with only 2 outs
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#31 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 15:58

About minimum wage:
When I started college in 1956, tuition and fees at the University of Minnesota came to about $225 for a year. Minimum wage was $1 an hour. So about six weeks full time paid a year's tuition. Currently the tuition plus fees at the Univ of Maryland is between $8,000 and $9,000 a year. At the current minimum wage of $7.25 this comes to more than six months. Surely this should tell someone something.

Often the person struggling with a minimum wage job is young. College age, for example. Young doesn't mean that he has no need for a decent wage. Both in the 1950s and now one could probably do better than minimum. But right now, to pay for college, or a car, or the rent, you need to do a great deal better. The minimum wage in the U.S. is now so low relative to current costs that it is barely an exaggeration to say that we no longer have one.
Ken

#32 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-08, 16:22

luke warm, on 2012-August-08, 15:37, said:

luckily, romney is capable of multitasking... he's done it before

so does that mean you think he would help or hurt the reps?

10:1 isn't enough, i judge the real odds to be more like 22 or 23 to 1... i'd never call a pot offering me 10 to 1 with only 2 outs

1. Romney may be capable of multitasking, but I doubt the American people are.

2. I think Patreus would hurt a Republican ticket. If this election were being contested on foreign policy he'd probably be a good choice. However, the election isn't being contested on foreign policy. (If it were, Obama would be in much better shape)

3. So, you're just flapping your mouth then?
Alderaan delenda est

#33 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-August-08, 18:34

billw55, on 2012-August-08, 06:35, said:

I find it highly unlikely the republican party will do something this intelligent. They will think, "we already have the military vote, so why choose a general? Instead we must pick some fringe buffoon in a vain attempt to attract a voting bloc that we otherwise suck at attracting." That's what they did last time anyway. Have they learned? I guess we'll see.

Fringe buffoon? I'm willing to kick in my $10 in support of Michelle Bachmann on the Romney ticket. ;) Maybe Richard and I can get a write-in draft Bachmann for v.p. petition started .
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#34 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-August-08, 23:57

as for vp...as I understand vp will only...only add about 1% to vote in his home state so I can see....ohio or florida or maybe virg.

otoh as many posters feel it will not be close then it dont matter.

#35 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 06:14

kenberg, on 2012-August-08, 15:58, said:

About minimum wage:
When I started college in 1956, tuition and fees at the University of Minnesota came to about $225 for a year. Minimum wage was $1 an hour. So about six weeks full time paid a year's tuition. Currently the tuition plus fees at the Univ of Maryland is between $8,000 and $9,000 a year. At the current minimum wage of $7.25 this comes to more than six months. Surely this should tell someone something.

It tells me what I already know, that tuition costs are outrageously inflated. The providers of college education long ago discovered that they can charge whatever they want, and people will still be fighting each other to pay it. Not surprisingly, these costs have risen much faster than inflation for decades.

You may be right about minimum wage, but you should pick a more balanced indicator to compare it to.
-gwnn

#36 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-09, 07:08

luke warm, on 2012-August-08, 15:37, said:

How about the following

I'll pay you 3:1 if anyone other than Rob Portman gets picked.

What say you to a $100 bet?

Easy opportunity for you to triple your money...
Alderaan delenda est

#37 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-August-09, 07:15

billw55, on 2012-August-08, 06:35, said:

I am curious. Exactly what voting bloc that would normally vote for Obama would decide that Sarah Palin changed their mind? I mean,if your thinking is that McCain wanted to get more women to vote Republican bcause Sarah Paln is a woman, then your assessment of McCain is even lower than mine. At the time, I thought the choice was designed to (1) excite the base and (2) keep a holdon those who would normally vote Republican but might switch simply because Obama would be "historic." In other words, not attracting new voters but holding onto waivering and unreliable voters.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#38 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-09, 07:19

billw55, on 2012-August-09, 06:14, said:

It tells me what I already know, that tuition costs are outrageously inflated. The providers of college education long ago discovered that they can charge whatever they want, and people will still be fighting each other to pay it. Not surprisingly, these costs have risen much faster than inflation for decades.

Right. $225 -> $8500 in 56 years is 6.7% annual increase. $1 -> 7.25 is 3.6%.

#39 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 08:02

kenrexford, on 2012-August-09, 07:15, said:

I am curious. Exactly what voting bloc that would normally vote for Obama would decide that Sarah Palin changed their mind? I mean,if your thinking is that McCain wanted to get more women to vote Republican bcause Sarah Palin is a woman, then your assessment of McCain is even lower than mine. At the time, I thought the choice was designed to (1) excite the base and (2) keep a holdon those who would normally vote Republican but might switch simply because Obama would be "historic." In other words, not attracting new voters but holding onto waivering and unreliable voters.

Basically yes (and your point 2 seems like essentially the same thing - a woman would be historic). Although I don't think this was McCain's own idea, it doesn't seem consistent with his personality/style. I figure his "strategists" prevailed on him to choose a woman. And even at that, the specific choice baffles me to this day.

I think your last sentence expresses the meaning of VP choice pretty well. It can lose a few votes, but not really gain them.
-gwnn

#40 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-09, 08:54

billw55, on 2012-August-09, 08:02, said:

I think your last sentence expresses the meaning of VP choice pretty well. It can lose a few votes, but not really gain them.

VPs are often capable of delivering specific states. The choice of Johnson is considered a prototypical example.
There are definitely counter examples. (Hell, Gore wasn't able to win his home state in 2000)

The reason that I am so bullish on Portman is Romney's need to keep Ohio in play...
Alderaan delenda est

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users