• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obscure movies Movies we may have missed

#81 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-30, 03:49

View Posthelene_t, on 2019-September-29, 17:38, said:

Friday we saw a brilliant Brazilian film, "A little secret".

This is the imdb link if anyone is interested and has problems finding it from Helene's description.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#82 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-30, 05:37

It's not that obscure, but my husband has it in his top 5 war films: Das Boot (1981) We watched it recently.

Apparently there's a TV remake on Amazon Prime Video, but the original 1981 version without any computer enhancement or graphics scores a highly-respectable 8.3 stars on the IMDB.

I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's 'a man's movie'. There's a startling fact at the end of the movie, that I won't divulge now. Just to say it proves how utterly destructive and nihilistic war is.

Here's a review from the IMDB. It's my view, too.

War movies have been biases to one side or the other. This movie does not make heroes or enemies of the German U-boat sailors. Instead, it grips the viewer with realistic depictions of what it was like to be a U-boat sailor for the Germans in WWII. It starts off with young (17 year old to 25 year old) men who have been filled with propaganda about the war effort and glorious battle. After this young crew of immature sailors start to experience the true horrors of war, you can not only see, but experience with them the boredom, laughter, camaraderie, team work and death. In a world where you have no windows, where your ears have to be your eyes, where a cat and mouse game is played and the loser dies, these young men age 10 to 15 years. It makes the viewer realize the horror of submarine warfare in WWII. The most realistic war movie I have ever seen.

#83 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-01, 18:32

The Salesman (2016) directed by Asghar Farhadi. My wife and I both enjoyed it. In Persian with English subtitles.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#84 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-02, 08:17

Another 'war' - this time a low-budget - movie based on a true story that I watched with my husband about six months and left a lasting impression is Kajaki (2014). I'm not a great fan of modern war films as many are so overzealous and filled with characters you don't empathise with, but this was different.

Here is a review from the IMDB that sums up the movie perfectly:-

You will cringe, laugh, cry and hold your breath in shocked disbelief and utter horror: one of the most intense and most touching war films I have ever seen.

There's only a handful of so called "war films" I consider to be films about the actual reality of war. HBO's mini-series 'Generation Kill' is probably the most realistic when it comes to the depiction of modern warfare - but 'Kajaki' (also known as 'Kilo Two Bravo') gives it a run for its money: this criminally under-seen masterpiece should be considered a modern classic. The production values are fantastic; the cinematography, the script and the direction are absolutely flawless - but you won't notice them. What you will notice is the outstanding ensemble of actors, portraying characters in a way you forget you're watching a movie. They will make you cringe, laugh, cry and hold your breath in shocked disbelief and utter horror.

This film had me literally on the edge of my seat the entire time, but what really grabs you by the gut is not just the suspense and the horror; it's the relationships between these soldiers and how they look out for each other. How close men become when their lives depend on each other has probably rarely been depicted on screen with the intensity and no-bullshît, keep-it-real attitude as is the case here. And knowing that what you're seeing actually happened only adds to the experience (for this film IS an experience). Definitely not the kind of war film that you come across very often. Superb. 9 stars out of 10.

#85 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2019-October-02, 10:51

We watched Das Boot last night. That was so good, especially the character of the captain, the performance by Jürgen Prochnow and the mixture of human decency, pride in German competence and contempt for Nazi arrogance and the insanity of war.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#86 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-02, 14:29

View Posty66, on 2019-October-02, 10:51, said:

We watched Das Boot last night.

It was a critical and commercial success, received a number of Oscar nominations and won a number of other awards, and is considered one of the greatest German films in history. If it's obscure, it's only because it has been nearly 4 decades since it came out, it's not any kind of "cult classic".

#87 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2019-October-11, 18:05

In the Fade by Fatih Akin starring Diane Kruger in a performance that won best actress at Cannes in 2017. This is not Akin's best movie but it is topical and Kruger is mesmerizing. The scenes in which Kruger's character is second guessed by her mother and her in-laws were interesting. Perhaps Akin will explore that dimension of otherness in a future film.

#88 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2019-November-23, 20:26

"Reprise" by Joachim Trier. A young, talented director and writer -- Trier -- makes a movie about two young men who are close friends and aspiring writers trying to find their way in the world without becoming cliches of young aspiring writers and without killing their charming, boyish affection for each other which is convincing and endearing to the end.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users