BBO Discussion Forums: Version 1.48f - please post feedback and suggestions here - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 1.48f - please post feedback and suggestions here

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:19

A new version of BBO was released today. Version 1.48f. Partner compatibility score is the main change in this version.

For details, see:
http://www.bridgebas...-compatibility/

Please post your suggestions/feedback here!

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:48

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-13, 10:19, said:

A new version of BBO was released today. Version 1.48f. Partner compatibility score is the main change in this version.

For details, see:
http://www.bridgebas...-compatibility/

Please post your suggestions/feedback here!

I'd be interested in understanding what types of factors this takes into account.

I just checked and I have a wide variety of different recommendations, ranging from 1/2 star to five stars.
I have no idea how any of this was generated, nor do I understand the distribution of stars.
(I'd expect a normal distribution, but it looks pretty uniform)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 11:46

atm, we're just experimenting, but we factor in ( unordered) profile-country, real location, language, masterpoints, avg adjusted points earned per hand, #people who mark u as a friend vs enemy , award symbol, starriness

I eventually plan to include ( for tourneys , anyway ) times played together , # friends in common

for the MBC ( main bridge club ) we're going to ultimately need a real/rich profile, i suspect.

#4 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-13, 14:58

I like the idea but I guess it is difficult to make a good ranking. You would need more information in the profile concerning preferred system, importance of carding and that stuff. I am not so glad with high weighting of nationality, language or being on the friends list. One of the things I like very much on BBO is the variety of nationalities that you can meet here. On my friends list there are a lot of players I rarely play with but kib their play sometimes as I know they are good players. I just checked a couple of players I am playing with regularly and the compability ranking does not fit with what I think it should.

#5 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2014-May-13, 14:58

I think it is yet another attempt to measure an apple with a micrometer. I think the profile is already too cluttered. I give up on Skill Level fiasco and now just show "Private" and refer others to MyHands if they they are interested in actual results rather than my inflated perception of my skill level. The profile is not a convention card either and I just refer others to my Favorite CC or the convention card posted. Just my opinion and I predict it will not be a popular one.

#6 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 16:13

Looks like a great idea. I can imagine that Singular Value Decomposition might work quite well. After all you have some objective measures in the mix as well as known "friends" and enemies. You could also likely use "facebook" style networks with the friends component. I hope it works, and expect that eventually you will have it working quite nicely.

#7 User is offline   dlks 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-13, 17:26

I know the compatibility rating is a very new feature and some people could find it useful, but I actually dislike the entire concept for several reasons.
1) Partnership compatibility is too subjective a concept for any sort of statistical data analysis to be useful. IMO, such ratings fall into the third category of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Forgive the slight profanity, that's an old quotation.)
2) "Compatibility" is widely recognized as a positive attribute; conversely, a lack of any compatibility rating or a low compatibility rating in a given player's profile could easily be seen as something negative about that individual. We have enough negative opinions about individual players floating around BBO already.
3) The factors listed as being taken into consideration have little or nothing to do with how I form my personal opinions of compatibility with a given partner. I don't care about a potential partner's "profile-country, real location, language, masterpoints, avg adjusted points earned per hand, #people who mark u as a friend vs enemy , award symbol," or "starriness". Some of these things are already available in player's profiles if they are of interest.
4) The most important factors for me in determining partnership compatibility are whether we can agree on the same approach to bidding/carding and whether my partner recognizes that bridge is actually a partnership game wherein we should respect and trust each other and just generally be civil and courteous. It's also nice if our levels of expertise are compatible, but we find out all of these things after just a few hands.
So I'm agin' it. I am FOR creating a richer profile format (system/carding/languages spoken) but I do understand that would be a major undertaking.

#8 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 18:21

View Postdlks, on 2014-May-13, 17:26, said:

I know the compatibility rating is a very new feature and some people could find it useful, but I actually dislike the entire concept for several reasons.
1) Partnership compatibility is too subjective a concept for any sort of statistical data analysis to be useful. IMO, such ratings fall into the third category of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Forgive the slight profanity, that's an old quotation.)
2) "Compatibility" is widely recognized as a positive attribute; conversely, a lack of any compatibility rating or a low compatibility rating in a given player's profile could easily be seen as something negative about that individual. We have enough negative opinions about individual players floating around BBO already.
3) The factors listed as being taken into consideration have little or nothing to do with how I form my personal opinions of compatibility with a given partner. I don't care about a potential partner's "profile-country, real location, language, masterpoints, avg adjusted points earned per hand, #people who mark u as a friend vs enemy , award symbol," or "starriness". Some of these things are already available in player's profiles if they are of interest.
4) The most important factors for me in determining partnership compatibility are whether we can agree on the same approach to bidding/carding and whether my partner recognizes that bridge is actually a partnership game wherein we should respect and trust each other and just generally be civil and courteous. It's also nice if our levels of expertise are compatible, but we find out all of these things after just a few hands.
So I'm agin' it. I am FOR creating a richer profile format (system/carding/languages spoken) but I do understand that would be a major undertaking.

Thanks for your feedback.

We are already trying to measure some of the things you care about. For example we see the friend/enemy ratio as a reasonable way to guess at how "generally civil and courteous" a person rates to be. Similarly, "levels of expertise are compatible" can be estimated by looking at the average adjusted points earned per hand.

Don't be surprised if at some point it is possible for users to specify some (or all) of the information you would like to see in a richer profile. If/when that happens, such information will almost certainly be factored into the compatibility formula (assuming we stick with the concept - as Uday suggested it is really just an experiment right now).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#9 User is offline   Qiana 

• Pip

Posted 2014-May-13, 18:34

I cannot see this as being a very useful tool. I would much prefer more room for profile. Players can make up their own minds as to who may be a compatible partner and who isn't. That is what the friend's list is for. Different strokes for different folks. Please concentrate on more profile room. thank you..

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 20:19

I found it funny that my regular partner I signed on to tonight is only 3.5 stars while nearly all my friends and acquaintances and people who play in our regular weekly league game are nearly all 5 star with me.

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 21:12

Great idea.

One thing to keep in mind is that people might mark other people as friends to be able to track them - for instance expert players whose games you want to kibitz. That might cause incompatible people to have many friends in common.
To work around that, you might want to add a category besides friends and enemies, or to discount common friends whom many other people are friends with.

#12 User is offline   Khrystyna 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 21:21

Garbage in, garbage out. I use the "enemies" list not for enemies per se but for players with different styles and systems with whom I'd rather not partner. I delete the list occasionally and start over. I would hate to think that some excellent player is damaged just because we do not play the same system.

#13 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 22:00

I don't know how useful the compatibility will be in the main bridge club. We originally came up with as one of the steps to ease the process by which we find partners in the partnership desk for a specific tournament, and decided to toss it into the profile.

In a tournament, you don't have a lot of time, typically. a large % of pairs are formed from the partnership desk in the last few minutes before a tourney fires.

In the main bridge club, assuming u have 'perm required to play' enabled at your table (most deals are played at tables that are candidates for 'Help me find a game', which is not too picky at the moment) there is very little info to go on; we're trying to make that a little easier.

I'm sure that we have more refining ahead of us on both fronts.

#14 User is offline   eleanorsf 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 01:31

Can you make this feature an option, that could then be turned on or off as the player prefers?

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 01:55

View PostMbodell, on 2014-May-13, 20:19, said:

I found it funny that my regular partner I signed on to tonight is only 3.5 stars while nearly all my friends and acquaintances and people who play in our regular weekly league game are nearly all 5 star with me.

Wow, I got 3.5 stars the most (from star players only that speak english). While most people I get 0 or 0.5 stars, and some people who happen to have a star or are from my same country give me 2.

I think a good meassure for global compatibility is connections/enemies (marked by me, or me marked by others).

I don't think you should meassure at all the country flag, it is somethign that is on plain sight, so I now know that whenever I see someone from my ocuntry he has 2 stars for granted just for being from there.

I speak 2 languages, and I think you are taking that into account from my initial tests, that is actually working.

#16 User is offline   savage1 

• Pip

Posted 2014-May-14, 03:03

Can we please review the term "enemy"- and find another term that is not so harsh . The players whom I have marked "enemy" are not that at all - just not compatible.

#17 User is offline   Oceanss 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 03:41

My friends/pards do not show nearly as compatible with me as it shows for other people i do not really know (great players, stars, Jec & Co, etc.. - people I only admire watching). Wish they'd call me to play since we are made for each other :P

#18 User is offline   Cromlyn 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Playing Bridge, Reading about Bridge, Reading about History, Walking and Dancing

Posted 2014-May-14, 05:06

The concept may have a lot of merit but measuring compatibility on anything other than bridge systems, signalling agreements and expertise is unhelpful.

How does this system cope with those of us who enjoy playing different systems with different partners?

It would be better to give more useful information on the profile, including a wider range of ability. I know some people feel they must upgrade their skill level because otherwise they have difficulty finding someone to play with. So I think this new gimmick will increase their difficulties.

If it is just to help tournaments why not just have it show up at the tournament desk?

#19 User is offline   patilan40 

• Pip

Posted 2014-May-14, 05:22

Why I can't see my compatibility score?

#20 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 05:28

This seems like another case of the tail wagging the dog. Why should enemies be included in the star calculation? I thought this tool was to predict.

Obviously newer players, like me, will be scared we won't be compatible with most, and people will shy away. I feel like I am dating again. :P

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users