• This topic is locked

Rubber Bridge Books

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 18:41

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a rubber bridge book? I haven't seen any published in many years, but just came across this one:

The Golden Rules for Rubber Bridge Players

Any thoughts on this or other ones?

Thanks,

Ben
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-25, 03:13

The obvious ones are Why you lose at bridge and Cut for partners by S.J. Simon, but I guess you already have those on your list.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-25, 21:49

Yes, Simon's books are the obvious classic choice.

One other recent book, besides the Pottage which you already found, is Dan Romm's Things Your Bridge Teacher Won't Tell You. A lot of his emphasis is on getting the best out of an unknown partner and surviving in a cut-for-partners money game. (From a duplicate perspective, I don't, to be honest, agree with many of his suggestions -- so comparing what he recommends for rubber vs. what everyone else recommends for duplicate is informative.)

Almost all declarer play books spend almost all their time on rubber and IMP style play, with only one chapter or so devoted to matchpoint tactics.

And, of course, if you just want to read about things in a rubber setting, many of the collections of hands (Kauder's Bridge Philosopher) and storybooks feature deals played at rubber. Of course most of those stories concentrate on the wild and crazy happenings, not on bread-and-butter rubber bridge.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users