BBO Discussion Forums: Thought this was normal - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thought this was normal

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-28, 22:10

Playing with an expert partner, we had this unremarkable sequence. We were not on the same wavelength:

(1NT*) - P - (2) - x

1NT is 12-14.

What is the meaning of the double?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 00:58

In the UK I'd suggest default is clubs without agreement, but many play it as "I would have doubled 1N for pens".

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 01:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-29, 00:58, said:

In the UK I'd suggest default is clubs without agreement, but many play it as "I would have doubled 1N for pens".

Agree. I think stronger players are more likely to play the second meaning, mainly because less experienced players haven't yet encountered it.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 03:17

I play all doubles of 2x whether they are natural or stayman or transfers, telling I would double weak NT. This was the most popular use of this dbl about 15 years among experts that know of. I have no idea what it is nowadays since I been away.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 03:29

I prefer it to show clubs, if they have a garbage stayman hand our most likely fit is clubs anyway and even if we can make 3NT and/or penalize 2M, it won't be easy to find out if we have the combined values for it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:45

I am strongly of the view that it needs to be merely value-showing.....to me it shows a solid opening hand, balanced. Weak 1N players can steal the board very easily with a 2C call on nothing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:45

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-28, 22:10, said:

Playing with an expert partner, we had this unremarkable sequence. We were not on the same wavelength:

(1NT*) - P - (2) - x

1NT is 12-14.

What is the meaning of the double?

Since 2 is Stayman and conventional,the double has to show a club suit and
is lead directing. The doubler probably has a hand like Jxx Qxx x AQJ10xx
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:49

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-29, 05:45, said:

Since 2 is Stayman and conventional,the double has to show a club suit and
is lead directing

Do you have any real life bridge success such that readers of your post can assess the credibility of such pronouncements as the double 'has' to show clubs?

I know a fair number of National Champions who play it as card showing, so maybe you can tell us about your credentials so that I can assess whether to change my methods, lol.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:55

View Postmikeh, on 2015-May-29, 05:49, said:

Do you have any real life bridge success such that readers of your post can assess the credibility of such pronouncements as the double 'has' to show clubs?

I know a fair number of National Champions who play it as card showing, so maybe you can tell us about your credentials so that I can assess whether to change my methods, lol.

When a conventional bid is doubled,logic says it shows a natural holding in the suit. In the same way the double of a Blackwood response eg 4NT-5-X
would show a heart suit and is also lead directing.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:57

View Postmikeh, on 2015-May-29, 05:49, said:

I think he's suggesting more that without discussion, unless something is played by pretty much everybody, you use the unalerted meaning as the default which is clubs.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-May-29, 06:05

You may be correct and, in fairness, if in the OP situation, I would assume that partner meant clubs unless I knew that he knew me. By that, I mean that I think that most players would assume lead-directing, even tho I think many experts think that to be second-best. It is one of those situations where I would assume partner was assuming that I played it lead-directing if he or she wasn't familiar with me. However, the poster in question likes to make dogmatic, and idiotic, statements all the time so I'm going to stick with my interpretation of his intent :D

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-29, 07:02

Thanks, all. My partner, who is a National Champion, intended it as lead directing. I thought that it showed values - equivalent to a double of a weak NT opening.

Humor sidelight.

This was the auction that happened at the table. It was humorous to me, but not so to my LHO (the club bidder), who, to his credit, did not intend his last bid to be natural. His partner was on another planet.

(1NT) - P - (2) - x
(P) - P - (3) - ALL PASS

This was not a success,

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-May-29, 07:45

It LOGICALLY must show values. With a club suit I can bid 3 .

I can't believe I'm saying this.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-29, 08:54

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-29, 07:02, said:

Thanks, all. My partner, who is a National Champion, intended it as lead directing. I thought that it showed values - equivalent to a double of a weak NT opening.

Very interesting. If partner and I are experienced enough to know about the superior "card-showing" alternative, but haven't discussed it, we are totally screwed into not using the Double at all...and then will further screw ourselves with a 1-minute tank.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-29, 09:29

View PostPhil, on 2015-May-29, 07:45, said:

It LOGICALLY must show values. With a club suit I can bid 3 .

I can't believe I'm saying this.

Depends, we'll hit it as purely lead directing, one of our biggest success being off AQ10x and out (and nobody's played redoubled yet).

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-29, 09:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-29, 09:29, said:

Depends, we'll hit it as purely lead directing, one of our biggest success being off AQ10x and out (and nobody's played redoubled yet).

When they do, I believe the correct score is 2420.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 10:13

Without agreement, I would assume people would fall back on the meta-agreement "doubles of artificial bids are lead-directing".

Playing a weak NT, I, too, would want that double to be cards - overriding my meta-agreement with a real one.

Playing Keri over a weak NT, I'm not so sure. One downside to Keri is that you don't have "runout Stayman" available; one upside to Keri is that 2 is usually sound (unless I'm planning on playing 2), so the opponents are much more likely to have a club suit than cards.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 11:37

I must admit to preferring the x to show clubs with a decent (Axx xx Axx KQxxx) hand. The card showing x (which can easily be an ace stronger) can wait until the opps reveal their garbage stayman. If the opps do not have a garbage stayman all one is accomplishing with x is to tell the opps how to play the hand since p will invariably be broke. This also leaves 3c available as a preempt. I can't believe is saw biting sarcasm from Mikeh:)

#19 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 11:45

All the experts I know use this double as values. Admittedly I come from a part of the world where weak NT is fairly common.

#20 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 11:52

I would also play as values, fwiw.

Out of curiosity, how do those who play it the same treat the second double in sequence like this:

1N* X 2C** X

* still 12-14
** showing something other than clubs (eg exit transfer)

Atm we play it as something analogous to the OP X - showing 'values', though in this case where 'values' just means 'confirming we have the majority of the points', ie a decent 6+.

Do others have similar agreements?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users