BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#12821 User is online   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-24, 00:12

View PostChas_P, on 2019-May-23, 19:23, said:

Actually I don't "support" either major political party. I'm not a Republican and I'm not a Democrat. If you want to slap a label on me label me as a Libertarian. I believe in Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness. So far I've achieved all three; I've lived for over 81 years, enjoyed liberty for all 81+, and not only pursued happiness but actually captured it. I wish the same for you.

That's exactly the impression you make in your forum persona. Someone who is genuinely happy with his life and not at all cranky about anything. I mean, who but a genuinely happy person would be cheering for an administration who fights with all its heart to make life miserable for incoming asylum seekers, including separating toddlers from their parents and letting six migrant children die in custody? Shows what a satisfied life you have!!
ALSO, TRUMP DID NOT THROW A TEMPER TANTRUM IN HIS MEETING WITH PELOSI! I KNOW IT BECAUSE HE SAID SO IN A TWEET!!!
The egos of bridge players seem to be larger than that of the general population. Which is actually pretty strange, when one considers how humbling a game it is... Michael Rosenberg

#12822 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-May-24, 09:43

Trump tries to steer border wall deal to GOP donor’s firm

And if we knew the size of the expected kickback to the Trump Organization, we would then probably know why the president is so insistent about "the big, beautiful wall."
This post sponsored by: All County Building Supply & Maintenance, Felo, NY.
Without truth it is impossible to speak truth to power, so there is only power.

#12823 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-May-24, 11:12

https://twitter.com/...917617252438016

This "Nancy Pelosi slurred her words" fake tape could easily be the product of the Russian troll farm that engineered the heist of the 2016 election, yet here we have one of the president' lawyers spreading this false message.

How quickly we forget. The whole edited/doctored Nancy Pelosi video thing isn't exactly new. It's ripped from the "Hillary Clinton is sick" handbook of 2016.

Giuliani as Goebbels in Springtime for Individual-1?

#12824 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-May-24, 15:17

I wonder if the overt nature of the corruption of this administration will ever be enough to turn members of his own party against Individual-1.

#12825 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-25, 20:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-May-24, 15:17, said:

I wonder if the overt nature of the corruption of this administration will ever be enough to turn members of his own party against Individual-1.

It's been over 2 years, and little has changed. We're starting to see small cracks (that one GOP Senator last week who broke ranks and said he'd support impeachment), but I think Trump was right when he said he could kill someone in Times Square and he wouldn't lose support. I think all the passes he's gotten just continue to embolden him.

#12826 User is offline   sharon j 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, boating, camping

Posted Yesterday, 07:14

I couldn't have said it better, "Crazy is as Crazy does"[https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartandhp

#12827 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted Yesterday, 09:13

I wonder if Trump got the idea for the doctored Nancy Pelosi video from Jimmy Kimmel. For years he has been doing a regular bit called "Drunk Donald Trump", where he shows Trump giving a speach, and slows down the audio so it sounds like he's drunk.

However, it's clear to everyone watching the Jimmy Kimmel show that this is manufactured for comedy. Not to mention, there's plenty of examples of Donald Trump actually getting words spectacularly wrong.

#12828 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:42

From A Senator Wants to Have a Greater Impact. So He’s Leaving the Senate. by Carl Hulse at NYT:

WASHINGTON — It is quite a testament to the current state of the Senate that a successful veteran lawmaker of two decades believes he can accomplish more by quitting than by trying to stick it out another six years.

“This place is definitely broken,” said Senator Tom Udall, Democrat of New Mexico and a longtime advocate of government reform who surprisingly announced in March that he would not seek a third term in 2020 in his solidly blue state.

In assessing his political future, Mr. Udall said he had become convinced that he could do more to advance his progressive ideas on climate change, war powers and a comprehensive electoral overhaul by skipping another two years of relentless re-election fund-raising. Instead, he said, he intends to redouble his efforts in those areas in hopes of setting the stage for big changes should Democrats prevail next year, even though he won’t be back in the Senate himself.

“You don’t necessarily have to be there to see that they are completed,” he said.

Mr. Udall’s decision to not run again, discussed in an interview on Wednesday, showed how the gridlock infecting Congress and the wide political divisions in the country can frustrate even the most experienced lawmakers and make them rethink their careers. It also illustrates how overwhelming and time-consuming fund-raising for multimillion-dollar races can be, leaving lawmakers little opportunity for the work they are supposed to be doing.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12829 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted Yesterday, 12:28

View PostChas_P, on 2019-May-23, 19:23, said:

label me as a Libertarian.

That is a broad category. What do you personally mean by Libertarian?

#12830 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted Yesterday, 18:06

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-May-26, 12:28, said:

That is a broad category. What do you personally mean by Libertarian?

The libertarian or “classical liberal” perspective is that peace, prosperity, and social harmony are fostered by “as much liberty as possible” and “as little government as necessary.” Libertarian is not a single viewpoint, but includes a wide variety of perspectives. Libertarians can range from market anarchists to advocates of a limited welfare state, but they are all united by a belief in personal liberty, economic freedom, and a skepticism of government power.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. StevenG