BBO Discussion Forums: Opponents intervene with a take-out double - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opponents intervene with a take-out double

Poll: Opponents intervene with a take-out double (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid?

1. Pass (13 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

2. 1[spades] (20 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. 1NT (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

4. Other??? (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-25, 20:00

All this talk of directional value of the bids makes me think that your choice of call depends on partner.

Personally, if I hear the auction go something like 1H (by me) P 1S 2C P (on a different hand) P P, and I have Kx of spades, I think: partner has about 7 points, the opponents have about 20; partner probably has 4 spades and the opponents have 7 (maybe 5-6) so there's a reasonable chance that the SK lead gives up a trick. If I'm playing with someone of a similar opinion, a 1S bid is okay.

If I'm playing with someone who would always lead a spade with Kx on this auction, then 1S should be eschewed in favor of pass or 1NT.

The poll didn't mention the leading idiosyncrasies of partner, so I couldn't vote.

#42 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2017-July-26, 23:26

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-18, 05:33, said:

Unfortunately we found out, in the post-match discussion in the restaurant, that we have been on a different wave-length for years.

I call this fortunate rather than unfortunate - for obvious reasons.

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-18, 05:33, said:

our eventual agreement may include transfer responses (we already play transfer responses to over-calls). If anyone has an links to good reference material to transfer responses after an intervening t/o double it would be welcome.

If you want to put some serious work into this, I recommend a structure by Glen Ashton presented in his script ETM-Gold on bridgematters.com. Not easy to get familiar with, but we are very happy with it now.

#43 User is offline   NemoJames 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-23, 03:18

What if it were the same hand but partner is in first seat? I have always shown a 4 card suit regardless of a takeout intervention but a new partner (who professes to know it all) surprised me by saying you must have a 5 card suit regardless of point count which sounds like nonsense to me.

#44 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-23, 07:57

View PostNemoJames, on 2019-June-23, 03:18, said:

a new partner (who professes to know it all) surprised me by saying you must have a 5 card suit regardless of point count which sounds like nonsense to me.

Sounds like cuz it is!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users