• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib and Lebensohl

#61 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-10, 17:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-September-10, 02:52, said:

Out of curiosity, was said partner 32516?

Cause I can really picture the two of you playing together...

You're closer to the mark than you might have thought: Here's a post from 2011 that links the two.

Given that South Africa has only 2,894 registered bridge players and both are clear experts, I'm sure they know each other well from the tournament scene.

#62 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-10, 20:21

View Postsfi, on 2017-September-10, 17:41, said:

You're closer to the mark than you might have thought: Here's a post from 2011 that links the two.

Given that South Africa has only 2,894 registered bridge players and both are clear experts, I'm sure they know each other well from the tournament scene.

Funny enough, the last time I played tournament bridge in South Africa was in about 1976, So no comment as to my personal history, Perhaps if some South Africans would listen to what I have to say, they would not finish last in the Bowl.

#63 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 20:23

"That would be because you show an understanding of what Bergen raises are" SFI
This feed has been placed in Robot Discussion, other feeds are available for beginner, advanced and expert discussion, and for Natural and Non Natural Bidding systems.
Wiki reference and all others say double should be penalty and Gib does not respect that.
I feel we should stick to the subject, and not get carried away with the details of the convention.

#64 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 21:36

"All others"???

I linked to 3 sources above that clearly show people playing it as negative. Bridge world std, based on poll of readership which tends towards advanced/expert. The 1nt battlefield site. The ecats site that has downloadable convention cards of all the recent world championship participating pairs, if you look through I'm sure most play negative.

You like Bergen... Maybe you can take a look at Bergen's partner when he was still competing, Larry Cohen
https://www.larryco....ids-part-2-of-3
Guess what he recommends negative doubles also.

Article by Steve Robinson surveying top American experts:
http://www.districts...%202010-10.aspx
Something like 20:5 in favor of non-penalty

It makes sense you haven't played live tournament bridge since the 70s. Bridge bidding hasn't remain frozen in time in the interim. Don't think you know everything and can convince anyone when you give no logical arguments whatsoever other than declare things to be a certain way on your authority. You are getting no support here because very little of what you state makes any sense to anyone other than yourself.

#65 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 22:32

View PostStephen Tu, on 2017-September-10, 21:36, said:

"All others"???

I linked to 3 sources above that clearly show people playing it as negative. Bridge world std, based on poll of readership which tends towards advanced/expert. The 1nt battlefield site. The ecats site that has downloadable convention cards of all the recent world championship participating pairs, if you look through I'm sure most play negative.

You like Bergen... Maybe you can take a look at Bergen's partner when he was still competing, Larry Cohen
https://www.larryco....ids-part-2-of-3
Guess what he recommends negative doubles also.

Article by Steve Robinson surveying top American experts:
http://www.districts...%202010-10.aspx
Something like 20:5 in favor of non-penalty

It makes sense you haven't played live tournament bridge since the 70s. Bridge bidding hasn't remain frozen in time in the interim. Don't think you know everything and can convince anyone when you give no logical arguments whatsoever other than declare things to be a certain way on your authority. You are getting no support here because very little of what you state makes any sense to anyone other than yourself.

You make assumptions that are clearly not true. Your assumptions about me prove that, since you have little idea who I really am and what my history is. Nobody said I have always lived in South Africa (or even that I am "here" right now) Perhaps I have stayed in more international hotels and played in more cities than you have had breakfasts.
Because I have always played with different partners I have had to understand all the conventions, well all the old ones anyway. I do not think you have much comprehension as to how bidding language flows and how it freezes and changes over time, so please dont try to explain to me. Rather use some intellect and intelligence for a change and note that this is a feed for Robot Discussion and not one for beginner discussion.

#66 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 22:53

Ok whatever, I'm done, it's not worth arguing with someone with an iq of a turnip.

#67 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 23:48

View PostStephen Tu, on 2017-September-10, 22:53, said:

Ok whatever, I'm done, it's not worth arguing with someone with an iq of a turnip.

LOL If you turnip the leek then the leek will turnip red in the peppers. Lettuce avo more celery for apples peas :)

#68 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-21, 02:27

Today GIB held
Q10x
A10xx
Axx
AKx

and opened 1NT, after
1NT-(2S cappelletti) -3NT(slow shows fast denies by me)-pass

GIB decided 4H might be a good idea. It wasn't.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users