• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Estonia, the Digital Republic

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-17, 13:26

From Nathan Heller's 12/18/18 New Yorker story:

Its government is virtual, borderless, blockchained, and secure. Has this tiny post-Soviet nation found the way of the future?

In the U.S., it is generally assumed that private industry leads innovation. Many ambitious techies I met in Tallinn, though, were leaving industry to go work for the state. “If someone had asked me, three years ago, if I could imagine myself working for the government, I would have said, ‘F##k no,’ ” Ott Vatter, who had sold his own business, told me. “But I decided that I could go to the U.S. at any point, and work in an average job at a private company. This is so much bigger.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-17, 16:35

View Posty66, on 2017-December-17, 13:26, said:

From Nathan Heller's 12/18/18 New Yorker story:

That unbridled capitalism is necessary for innovation is to my mind the great lie of the last 50 years. In my lifetime, I have seen both sides and it is not the lure of profit that drives innovation but the curiosities of the those who wonder, what if.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-December-18, 10:00

Curiosity is the spark that gets it going, but capitalism is the fuel that keeps it burning.

However, you often need far less fuel for digital fires. Consider how expensive something like BBO would be if it were all f2f instead of online.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users