BBO Discussion Forums: Which cup will be filled first? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which cup will be filled first?

Poll: Which cup will be filled first? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one?

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

4. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 5 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 6 (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

7. 7 (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-07, 13:57

Posted Image

I saw that on facebook and laughed my @$$ off when saw the replies. Majority of replies were wrong. And wrote "bridge players will tell this in couple seconds"
Go for it if you are bored and nothing better to do atm.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-07, 14:10

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-07, 17:24

Abstain. The right answer is surely "it depends". Either 1 or 3 depending on the speed of the flow of the water.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-07, 21:32

7 I think. Oops, caught me, see Phil's comment below. The pipe to 7 is blocked.And. looking this morning, I see that the end of the pipe from 3 to 6 is also blocked. Ok ok it's 3. I should have looked more closely for blockages. Or just read Cyber's answer! I guess that's where the comparison with bridge comes in.SO I will now delete my vote.
Ken

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-April-07, 22:09

View Postkenberg, on 2018-April-07, 21:32, said:

7 I think. When the water flowing into 1 gets to the level of the first exit, the water level stops rising, the additional water flows to 3. Repeat with cup 3. When the water in 3 is high enough to flow out the exit to 7, that's what it does. The pipes to 2 and 6 remain dry while 7 is filling up.

Part of the challenge is the blocks. 7 was my first thought too. Look closer.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-April-08, 11:14

View Postbroze, on 2018-April-07, 17:24, said:

Abstain. The right answer is surely "it depends". Either 1 or 3 depending on the speed of the flow of the water.

I assumed since the flow in was separate drops rather than a stream, you know which of these

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 14:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-April-08, 11:14, said:

I assumed since the flow in was separate drops rather than a stream, you know which of these

Pretty big drops though! Maybe it's not water at all but some kind of hyper-viscous liquid and the surface tension doesn't even allow it through the pipes. ;)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-April-08, 18:49

View PostPhil, on 2018-April-07, 22:09, said:

Part of the challenge is the blocks. 7 was my first thought too. Look closer.

Part of the challenge? All of it. Exceedingly stupid puzzle.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-April-08, 20:46

View PostVampyr, on 2018-April-08, 18:49, said:

Part of the challenge? All of it. Exceedingly stupid puzzle.

And if you lay the screen flat (or upside-down for that matter) none of them get filled..... ;)
Perhaps it is Turkish humor?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-09, 04:51

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-April-08, 20:46, said:

Perhaps it is Turkish humor?

It is not Turkish puzzle. Translated to Turkish. I do not know the source nation/culture/region etc..

All i know is which one will win the stupidity contest, if i make a poll and options were this puzzle and one of the comments in this topic.Posted Image (not yours)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-April-09, 04:58

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-09, 04:51, said:

It is not Turkish puzzle. Translated to Turkish. I do not know the source nation/culture/region etc..

All i know is which one will win the stupidity contest, if i make a poll and options were this puzzle and one of the comments in this topic.Posted Image (not yours)

The interesting part was the "attention to detail" fake-out. The science-minded go for the water-level/entry-exit while, I guess, the really attentive look at the diagram and realize that there are some "pipes" that do not have access to certain "glasses".
A bit of fun, no matter what the origin or language. :)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-09, 09:11

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-April-09, 04:58, said:

The interesting part was the "attention to detail" fake-out.

Kind of reminds me of a "test" we were given sometime in grade school.

The first instruction said "Read all instructions before doing anything", and the last instruction was something like "Ignore all instructions between step 2 and this one", (step 2 was filling in your name at the top). So if you followed any of the other steps, you failed.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-09, 17:23

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-09, 09:11, said:

The first instruction said "Read all instructions before doing anything", and the last instruction was something like "Ignore all instructions between step 2 and this one", (step 2 was filling in your name at the top). So if you followed any of the other steps, you failed.

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-09, 17:35

Failing the student for completing the steps starting at 2 doesn't seem logically valid - the test imposes an impossible set of conditions. Why does the instruction in the last step take precedence over all the others?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it...

#15 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-April-09, 17:59

We had something similar: The instructions were to give incorrect answers to the questions.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-09, 20:55

I'm the guy who got caught and I liked it. There are many such examples. Eg Which is correct "6 and 7 are 11" or "6 and 7 is 11"?

Some things are less amusing. I visited my daughter's class room when she was starting elementary school.They were practicing sounds. Teacher "I am thinking of something in this room that ends in a guh sound, what is it?". My child was the first to raise her hand and was called on. "Flag" she said. "No" the teacher said. The teacher was thinking of "rug". My daughter was a failure at mind reading. We fathers remember such things.

Also any topic that doesn't involve tweets is a welcome change right now.
Ken

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-10, 08:33

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-09, 17:35, said:

Failing the student for completing the steps starting at 2 doesn't seem logically valid - the test imposes an impossible set of conditions. Why does the instruction in the last step take precedence over all the others?

It's been close to 50 years, I may not have described it perfectly well. I think it was reasonably clear when you got to the end that you shouldn't have done any of the earlier steps.

And it's not like this was graded, I think it was intended for the students to learn a life lesson from, about jumping the gun, making assumptions, reading clearly, etc.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-April-10, 11:20

View Postkenberg, on 2018-April-09, 20:55, said:

I'm the guy who got caught and I liked it. There are many such examples. Eg Which is correct "6 and 7 are 11" or "6 and 7 is 11"?

Some things are less amusing. I visited my daughter's class room when she was starting elementary school.They were practicing sounds. Teacher "I am thinking of something in this room that ends in a guh sound, what is it?". My child was the first to raise her hand and was called on. "Flag" she said. "No" the teacher said. The teacher was thinking of "rug". My daughter was a failure at mind reading. We fathers remember such things.

Also any topic that doesn't involve tweets is a welcome change right now.

Could the teacher have been intending it as more of an “I Spy” type activity rather than asking for any object with the sound at the end, and just express yourself poorly?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-10, 12:32

View PostVampyr, on 2018-April-10, 11:20, said:

Could the teacher have been intending it as more of an "I Spy" type activity rather than asking for any object with the sound at the end, and just express yourself poorly?

Oh anything is possible and all in all I liked the teacher well enough.It was like one of the first things out of the box, I was glad to see my daughter involved and then...

But it was a tough day. Later the had a guy (sine guys know science?) talk about the solar system He explained that when the moon gets between the Earth and the Sun it's called an ellipse of the sun. And then, and then,

Of course I never make any errors.
Ken

#20 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-10, 13:14

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-09, 17:35, said:

It becomes an impossible set of conditions only if Step 2 read something like "Write your name at the top before proceeding to the next step"
Otherwise, the condition in Step 1 trumps the guidance in Step 2.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users