• You cannot reply to this topic

A better puzzle!

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-11, 18:54

Posted Image

Still easy but takes a couple minutes longer than the first one i posted.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 19:18

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 19:39

Spoiler

ahydra

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 19:45

Cute. Smerriman for the win.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-11, 20:15

View Postahydra, on 2018-April-11, 19:39, said:

Spoiler

ahydra

https://www.youtube....h?v=O2O_Z1Nhtw4
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 21:53

Spoiler

Puzzle #2 - how were you meant to get 19 or 26?

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-12, 12:50

This is obviously an impossible problem to answer and a huge waste of time.

It is certainly not a "better" "puzzle"

The clock is different, the bananas are different, and the pentagon thingy is different.

ETA: OK, I watched the video, my statement is still correct.
OK
bed

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-12, 16:52

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-April-12, 12:50, said:

The clock is different, the bananas are different, and the pentagon thingy is different.

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-11, 18:54, said:

Still easy but takes a couple minutes longer than the first one i posted.

LOL! My bad! Posted Image

#9 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-12, 17:25

apparently the water cooler is mrace's facebook now

hey guys if cat+cat=6 what does dog= lol so clever

people are losing their ***** over this very problem lol series of stupid emojis
OK
bed

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-12, 17:44

It is certainly not a "better" "puzzle"

Why is it impossible?

It is similar to the other problem in that the only issue is whether you noticed the multiplication sign, so not terribly interesting, but why impossible?

Edit: oh I see the quantities have changed too. Is noticing that supposed to be fun? Boring. I guess I don’t call it a puzzle if the answer is available by inspection.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-12, 18:25

Ah, only now do I see the differences in the last line. Well, that's just silly.

Spoiler

But one could equally argue that the quantities in the last line are undefined.

ahydra

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-12, 18:46

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-April-12, 17:25, said:

apparently the water cooler is mrace's facebook now

hey guys if cat+cat=6 what does dog= lol so clever

people are losing their ***** over this very problem lol series of stupid emojis

What is your problem ? Posted Image

I mean seriously, if you wanna get into it with me, that's fine, but at least stop sounding like teenager girls, trying to create a reason ! Puke whatever you have inside and feel better. At least that shows some dignity and honesty, instead of complaining about some topic ( which by the way no one put a gun on your head to join to that topic, all you needed was to hold the urge to click your mouse! Very simple, isn't it?) Just say it! I promise i will not respond! Just get it out of your chest and let's be done with it.
My concern is, this is very unlike you Jjbr! You are very smart and obviously educated young individual. Disrespecting me with methods as you chose above is one childish thing i can live with, but you are also disrespecting other individuals who decided to join and enjoy this topic.

Obviously you are very angry/frustrated or w/e. If I caused that, I may even apologize for it if you explain me what it was, here or private does not matter for me.
Just say it !
I am really not in the mood for playing this barking mad games from this topic to another and affecting other people too.
As I said I will not respond, except an apology if I feel I had my own share for things to come to this between me and someone that I do not even know much about.

#13 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-12, 20:02

be honest, did you see this on facebook?
OK
bed

#14 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-12, 21:16

I worked this out before watching the video. I think the guy on the video overstates the logic of it. I was not certain.

There are six symbolic quantities:

Banana bunches of 3 bananas
Banana bunches of 4 bananas
clocks reading 2
clocks reading 3
Polygonal dodads with three nested polygons
Polygonal dodads with two polygons

Now to evaluate these six quantities it would help to have six equations. But the first equation makes it clear that the polygonal dodad with three polys has value of 15. Where do we see 15 in a way that would help? Well, there are 15 edges. Now that is the part that is plausible rather than logically forced. But suppose we run with that. Then the lesser poly dodad has value 11, the four bananas have value 4, and so on. If we go with that, the three given equations are true.

So, I concluded, it is probably right. I watched the video. It's right. But I would not say it is logically airtight.

Becky and I work the Sunday Crossword in the Washington Post Magazine. Horrible puns. So nobody put a gun to my head and forced me to do it.

I have a puzzle that I might put up later, after I figure it out. Stay tuned.

I sometimes think that tests on important matters can go wrong because people make a reasonable interpretation of what is being asked but something else was intended. Sometimes we cope, sometimes not.

In my high school and college days I held various jobs. I once thought I would deliver mail for a summer so I took the civil service test. I got about half way through it and realized that the way I was interpreting the instructions could not possibly be right based on how it was going. I failed the exam. I might be the only PhD in Mathematics who failed an exam to deliver mail. Obviously I should have read a copy of the instructions before going in. Or another example. When I moved from Minnesota to Maryland I went to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a Maryland driver's license. I expected to be given a driving test. Nope. They gave me a written exam. How many feet does a car that is going 55 mph travel after the brakes are applied? Ok, multiple choice, pick the largest number. I passed. When St. Peter decides on my admission I want a multiple choice exam.

Anyway, I am fine with seeing more of these.
Ken

#15 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-13, 01:24

View PostVampyr, on 2018-April-12, 17:44, said:

Why is it impossible?

It is similar to the other problem in that the only issue is whether you noticed the multiplication sign, so not terribly interesting, but why impossible?

Edit: oh I see the quantities have changed too. Is noticing that supposed to be fun? Boring. I guess I don’t call it a puzzle if the answer is available by inspection.

Symbols can't be visually manipulated. You have equations expressed in X and the result depends on V- it is insoluble. If you think can visually manipulated then the result is up for grab in every single case- you did one type of change but there infinite ways of visual manipulation it doesn't have defined rules. Just look at faked Youtube videos.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2018-April-13, 02:44

Take a circle and draw a point on the circumference - note that the circle is a single region. Now draw a second point and connect to the first with a line - there are now 2 regions. Add a third point and connect to the others, giving a triangle within the circle - 4 regions. Adding a 4th and 5th, the series continues in this way:-

n R
1 1
2 2
3 4
4 8
5 16

So the question is: what are the next two numbers in the series: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-13, 09:22

The point of this puzzle is very similar to the cups puzzle -- you have to notice fine details, rather than just the most obvious features of the pictures.

I'm very good at this when helping people find bugs in their computer programs, but I admit that I was fooled by both of these. Probably because I have decades of experience working with computer source code, and I've seen many of the common errors before, so I'm attuned to these syntax details. But I don't have much experience working with pictures, so I'm not as detail-oriented in that context -- a professional photographer would probably do well on these visual puzzles.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-April-13, 10:03

View Postcloa513, on 2018-April-13, 01:24, said:

Symbols can't be visually manipulated. You have equations expressed in X and the result depends on V- it is insoluble. If you think can visually manipulated then the result is up for grab in every single case- you did one type of change but there infinite ways of visual manipulation it doesn't have defined rules. Just look at faked Youtube videos.

I see. Especially since the changes are made only on the bottom line, it is impossible to work out what the changes are supposed to mean.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-13, 15:07

View PostZelandakh, on 2018-April-13, 02:44, said:

Take a circle and draw a point on the circumference - note that the circle is a single region. Now draw a second point and connect to the first with a line - there are now 2 regions. Add a third point and connect to the others, giving a triangle within the circle - 4 regions. Adding a 4th and 5th, the series continues in this way:-

n R
1 1
2 2
3 4
4 8
5 16

So the question is: what are the next two numbers in the series: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16?

I tried this with 13 points and I counted 794 regions but I may have missed one or two, my eyesight isn't what it used to be.. :)
Ken

#20 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-13, 15:17

View PostVampyr, on 2018-April-13, 10:03, said:

I see. Especially since the changes are made only on the bottom line, it is impossible to work out what the changes are supposed to mean.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to figure out that if 4 bananas represents the number 4, 3 bananas represents the number 3. Sure, you could define a picture of 3 bananas to mean 28 if you really wanted to, but on the silliness scale, I'd rate that sillier than some other uses of the word silly here :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users