BBO Discussion Forums: Plan Ahead - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plan Ahead

#1 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,072
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2018-April-14, 19:24

GIB Tournament



1. A, 5, 3, 2
2. 2, A, 4, 3
3. ?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,953
  • Joined: 2009-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

Posted 2018-April-14, 19:45

I'd play Q, seems auto, but since you asked there must be a better line.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."





0

#3 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,072
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2018-April-14, 20:13

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-14, 19:45, said:

I'd play Q, seems auto, but since you asked there must be a better line.


No not really, but I think its a good I/A hand.

Important to see the dangers of A, Q.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 531
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted 2018-April-15, 09:24

Hesitating between SQ and DK (to pass the bucket back to opener). SQ is probably safer though?
0

#5 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,072
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2018-April-15, 11:32

View Postapollo1201, on 2018-April-15, 09:24, said:

Hesitating between SQ and DK (to pass the bucket back to opener). SQ is probably safer though?


After dK, If they play a 2nd diamond heart the play gets awkward when the defense taps dummy with a 2nd heart.

Edited, sorry
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 531
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted 2018-April-15, 14:39

View PostPhil, on 2018-April-15, 11:32, said:

After dK, If they play a 2nd diamond the play gets awkward when the defense taps dummy with a 2nd heart.

Ouch yes. Just give up the SK. I knew it was unsafe but so spectacular 😉
0

#7 User is online   cherdano 

  • 5555
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,844
  • Joined: 2003-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-April-15, 16:26

View PostPhil, on 2018-April-15, 11:32, said:

After dK, If they play a 2nd diamond the play gets awkward when the defense taps dummy with a 2nd heart.

I don't get it. Give up diamond, diamond ruffed in dummy. Spade to the queen. Doesn't lose to any layout where the SQ initially would win.

But a club back is a problem.

Meanwhile, what is our plan if the SQ gets ducked?
The egos of bridge players seem to be larger than that of the general population. Which is actually pretty strange, when one considers how humbling a game it is... Michael Rosenberg
0

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,953
  • Joined: 2009-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

Posted 2018-April-15, 18:29

View Postcherdano, on 2018-April-15, 16:26, said:

I don't get it. Give up diamond, diamond ruffed in dummy. Spade to the queen. Doesn't lose to any layout where the SQ initially would win.


Well you are wrong..... Giving up a diamond before Q loses to the MOST LIKELY lay out.


But I think Phil either made a typo or did not see it and you are affected by this (he wrote 2nd dia played by defense instead of 2nd heart).





View Postcherdano, on 2018-April-15, 16:26, said:

Meanwhile, what is our plan if the SQ gets ducked?


Cash A and claim +1 if K drops, if not claim 10 tricks stating you run clubs now. You can not make if spades are 1-4 anyway.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."





0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,072
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2018-April-15, 21:58

View Postcherdano, on 2018-April-15, 16:26, said:

I don't get it. Give up diamond, diamond ruffed in dummy. Spade to the queen. Doesn't lose to any layout where the SQ initially would win.

But a club back is a problem.

Meanwhile, what is our plan if the SQ gets ducked?



Maybe I'm tired, but after CA, HA, DK, H (tapped), ruff diamond, spade to Q (winning) what are you now doing?

Yes, sorry I did make a typo (sort of) above. Cleaned up.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is online   cherdano 

  • 5555
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,844
  • Joined: 2003-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-April-15, 23:11

Sorry I was playing 4C not 4S.
The egos of bridge players seem to be larger than that of the general population. Which is actually pretty strange, when one considers how humbling a game it is... Michael Rosenberg
0

#11 User is offline   dond01 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 2008-December-16

Posted 2018-April-16, 10:59

I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to comment..but here goes:

1. Contract cannot be made if West has K (unless singleton, but cannot for those odds), so have to assume it is held by East, since if W has the K doubleton, will win 1st or 2nd round depending on whether South leads A or Queen, and then play a club. East is pretty much marked with having singleton A based on the leads. If West has 3 spades to the King, and spades are led from South, can duck until 3rd round and then play a heart once South has no trump.

2. It follows that if spades are being led from South, the Ace would have to be retained to win the 3rd round, forcing East to win the King earlier (likely 1st round). East must also have the Ace, otherwise a diamond return by East would allow West to return a club for East to Ruff.

3. Given the assumptions that must be made as to location of the Spade King and diamond Ace, I think I'm pretty much in agreement with Phil - may as well lead diamond King around to East with a view to taking the finesse in Spades.
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,072
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2018-April-16, 15:28

Please note the contract is 4S.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,098
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2018-April-16, 15:47

View Postdond01, on 2018-April-16, 10:59, said:

I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to comment..but here goes:

1. Contract cannot be made if West has K (unless singleton, but cannot for those odds), so have to assume it is held by East, since if W has the K doubleton, will win 1st or 2nd round depending on whether South leads A or Queen, and then play a club. East is pretty much marked with having singleton A based on the leads. If West has 3 spades to the King, and spades are led from South, can duck until 3rd round and then play a heart once South has no trump.

2. It follows that if spades are being led from South, the Ace would have to be retained to win the 3rd round, forcing East to win the King earlier (likely 1st round). East must also have the Ace, otherwise a diamond return by East would allow West to return a club for East to Ruff.

3. Given the assumptions that must be made as to location of the Spade King and diamond Ace, I think I'm pretty much in agreement with Phil - may as well lead diamond King around to East with a view to taking the finesse in Spades.


1. No, if W has 3 to the K, he will wait a long time for the third round if you play if you play AQ and he ducks, declarer now switches to clubs and the contract is just cold, but if W wins the second one and makes declarer ruff a heart he's sunk.

2/3 diamond K just loses, E wins and plays a heart, what now ?

Q wins because if E ducks you cash A then rumble clubs, if he wins, you ruff the heart with the A, cross to the J10 to draw trumps then play clubs.
1

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users