• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Common Ground It's a start

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-21, 11:55

With all the animosity swirling around immigration policies, it seems to me more important than ever for each "side" to look for common ground upon which we all agree. From there, perhaps we can find a compromise.

For myself, from a left-leaning, Democrat's point of view, I do not want any immigrants or asylum seekers allowed into the country who also happen to be members of the MS-13 gang.

That may seem simplistic - but it is my true held position. It is a starting point.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-21, 15:16

Returning to basics and relying on fundamental principles is always a valid starting point. National borders exist for security (prevention of incursions, military or other) and economics (tariffs, duties and excise etc.) How a given situation affects these fundamentals should be sufficient to clarify the desirability of any given circumstance. "Undesirable elements" can be from numerous origins and intents. The common weal is derived from the extraction of value that exceeds any related cost. Moral and ethical considerations also come into play as does a more visceral ethos.
In science, we devise a refutable hypothesis and test experiment against realized analysis. In psycho-social matters, these aspects are much less well defined. Coming into the discussion with an open mind and a collegial attitude helps immensely.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-June-22, 08:46

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-June-21, 11:55, said:

For myself, from a left-leaning, Democrat's point of view, I do not want any immigrants or asylum seekers allowed into the country who also happen to be members of the MS-13 gang.

The rest of the Americas probably aren't thrilled that we created the MS-13 gang in the first place.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-22, 09:13

View Postbarmar, on 2018-June-22, 08:46, said:

The rest of the Americas probably aren't thrilled that we created the MS-13 gang in the first place.

The point is there is common ground between left and right - but tribalism has removed the desire to find such safe areas of discourse.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-June-22, 09:22

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-June-22, 09:13, said:

The point is there is common ground between left and right - but tribalism has removed the desire to find such safe areas of discourse.

True. If we can't even agree that MS-13 = bad then there's probably no hope left for compromise, let alone agreement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users