BBO Discussion Forums: where to improve - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

where to improve

#1 User is offline   cactus1982 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-29, 13:40

Hi there, kind of new here. I've started playing and studying bridge for about a year now. I've tried to play in MP daily and weekly tournament on BBO getting results of 51-53-57-61% in my last 4 tournaments. For a beginner I think it's kind of decent (isn't it?). But when I play Express tournament, my results are pretty lower thant these and I'm not sure it's the right place for me to progess. Seems the field is crowed with great players and even if they are annonced at 2/1, seems the majority is playing SAYC or other systems I'm not familiar with. Should I continue playing for fun against the robot to improve my game?

I play for now, 15-17 NT, 2/1 game forcing, 4th suit forcing, 4 suits transfers, stayman, NMF, Jacoby 2 NT, 1430 RKC, Smolen,inverted minor raises, takeout doubles, negative doubles and support doubles. When you are playing with a partner playing a different system and time is limited to 30 seconds, how should it work. Supposed I open 1 spades and my partner has 11 points and 5 clubs. Should he respond 2 clubs and we play in his system or should he respond 1 NT because I'm the opener. Or some play 1430 and some play 3014 RKC. When one of the 2 bid 4NT, wich system is on? Is there conventions for when partner don't play in the same system?

I'll continue to work on my game, studying and watching videos but I was wondering what might be the best place to play (type of online games).

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-29, 15:42

Have you tried playing the various Bridge Master deals that are available on BBO?
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-29, 15:58

At the heart of it, bridge is a partnership game. If you can find a couple of people you play with regularly, you will start to improve your bidding and defence as a pair, which will lead to better results over time. And it's much more fun than simply playing with either the robots or random partners.

Hrothgar is spot on with the Bridge Master deals. They are invaluable for declarer play.

#4 User is offline   cactus1982 

• Pip

Posted 2019-March-29, 16:31

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-March-29, 15:42, said:

Have you tried playing the various Bridge Master deals that are available on BBO?

I have started resolving these deals. I m done with the beginners one, I m at the second level. Thanks for answering, I think I was looking for places to improve my competitive bidding skills rather than my play of the hand/carding.

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-29, 16:51

View Postcactus1982, on 2019-March-29, 16:31, said:

I have started resolving these deals. I m done with the beginners one, I m at the second level. Thanks for answering, I think I was looking for places to improve my competitive bidding skills rather than my play of the hand/carding.

Competitive bidding is, almost by definition, difficult to practice solo

Best recommendation that I can provide is to read the following: http://www.bridge.is..._2054397795.pdf
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-29, 19:58

Playing with the robots, as a newer player, will harm your game. They don't play like real bridge players.

#7 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-30, 04:38

I would suggest joining bbo-IAC club. pigpen.org.uk/IAC/iac.php.

#8 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2019-March-31, 11:02

View Postetha, on 2019-March-30, 04:38, said:

I would suggest joining bbo-IAC club. pigpen.org.uk/IAC/iac.php.

If you can get by their anecdotal discriminatory policies :)
Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#9 User is offline   cactus1982 

• Pip

Posted 2019-April-02, 11:28

thank you all for your responses!! Very appreciated!!!

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-April-06, 11:00

At about a year into bridge, you seem to have a lot of "stuff" on your card.

Larry Cohen, a top American expert and teacher, wrote an article several years ago emphasizing that newer player would be better off learning a few things well rather than trying to use lots of gadgets. He went on to say that understanding and being able to use all the permutations of auctions using Stayman would yield a lot better results than time spent on trying to learn more gadgets.

I really thought that article was great. Many of the "gifts" I've gotten over the years have been from players who misuse or don't understand the gadgets they are using. I guess they think they can gain an advantage by out-gadgeting better players. But the best way to compete and advance is to become a fundamentally sound player that is rock solid on the fundamental plays of the cards and develop good judgment in using the bidding tools that have.

Every gadget or tool that you uses has nuances that you must master to use them properly. So as you add more stuff, you increase the burden of what you have to learn to become more competitive. That competes with learning some basic bidding judgment such as when to invite, when to force to game, when to balance, and when to pass.

It's funny but among better players that despite all the differences between the "bidding" systems, on most hands they all get to the same contracts.

Please don't take this as being critical of you, but more as someone pointing a direction to aim for. As the immortal Yogi Berra said, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll never get there."

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users