BBO Discussion Forums: Transfer bids - can you ignore them - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Transfer bids - can you ignore them

#21 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-April-09, 05:45

View Postthepossum, on 2019-April-09, 03:26, said:

As others have suggested and I am considering I may change my NT range to 14-16 with this partner.

As folks have noted, bidding systems aren't perfect. There are always going to be cases where opener has a max and responder has a max and both players made a good decision and a makeable game slipped by.
Changing your NT range isn't going to solve this problem. It's simply going to change the set of hands where this issue manifests itself.

Lying about your methods to GIB... Well, that's a whole different story. However, given the sheer number of screeds that you post explaining how morally wrong this is, I can hardly believe that this is your intention...
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-09, 06:04

Just F off Hrothgar. You and others have attacked me from day one for raising legitimate issues

What I have bewn discussing on other tgreada is total cheating which everyone here seems to condone. Adjusting my NT range occasionally by a point is not cheating. Everybody does that. I have had my concerns ignored, censored, deleted. I have been temporarily banned after everybody else attacked me. You are all just covering up the corruption of bridge, masterpoints and covering up systemic cheating for masterpoints by attacking any mention of it. You always go ad hominem against anyone who raises an issue. You attack experienced players and make out they are ignorant. This place is a disgrace

I'm surprised at you. I actually thought you were someone on here worthy of respect. Maybe I was wrong in that assessment

You and a few others around here think you own the place and the game of Bridge the way you go around lecturing people, all high and mighty. Well bullying doesn't work on me. I've dealt with tougher cases than you lot in my life. God help Bridge if you lot are representative of the philosophy of the ACBL towards our wonderful game

Bunch of cowboys

#23 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-April-09, 06:20

View Postthepossum, on 2019-April-09, 06:04, said:

What I have bewn discussing on other tgreada is total cheating which everyone here seems to condone. Adjusting my NT range by a point is not cheating

The behavior in the two cases is completely identical: You are misrepresenting your methods to GIB in the hopes of getting a better score.
The only salient difference is that is this case, you are the one misrepresenting your methods.
In the other, someone else is.

For the record, I don't think that there is anything wrong in either case.

However, I do find it highly amusing when the self appointed moralist who constantly argues that his aesthetics are to be enshrined above the rules of the game turns out to have feet of clay.
Alderaan delenda est

#24 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-09, 10:44

My impression is that GIB is horrible at reevaluating hands based on partner's superaccept. It's still right to do it when you have a good hand with 4+ support but don't expect to get it right as often as you would with a fine human partner.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#25 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-09, 13:14

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-April-09, 05:45, said:

Changing your NT range isn't going to solve this problem. It's simply going to change the set of hands where this issue manifests itself.

True statement. Responder is always going to have borderline hands that have to decide whether to invite or not, or bid game or invite, no matter the range of the opening 1NT.

#26 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-April-09, 14:02

View Postjohnu, on 2019-April-09, 13:14, said:

True statement. Responder is always going to have borderline hands that have to decide whether to invite or not, or bid game or invite, no matter the range of the opening 1NT.

One obviously does't need traditional invites if the range is narrow enough.

A 15-17 range may not be narrow enough, although I think it is if sufficent adjustments are made to the raw Milton Work count. And from the perspective of the resulting improved hcp method it will appear that most pairs actually use a much wider range than 15-17, maybe closer to 14-18 (or worse!), so no wonder they need invites!

#27 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-09, 14:55

View Postnullve, on 2019-April-09, 14:02, said:

One obviously does't need traditional invites if the range is narrow enough.

A lot of players have a 2 point range for 2NT openings. Obviously you can't invite without already being at 3NT or higher using any kind of normal methods.

View Postnullve, on 2019-April-09, 14:02, said:

A 15-17 range may not be narrow enough, although I think it is if sufficent adjustments are made to the raw Milton Work count. And from the perspective of the resulting improved hcp method it will appear that most pairs actually use a much wider range than 15-17, maybe closer to 14-18 (or worse!), so no wonder they need invites!

Say you are using the most accurate point count ever invented, now or in the future, the year 2999 intergalactic modified and ultimate point count, for your 15-17 NT. You will still have hands where you have something like 23-25 possible HCP between the 2 hands. 23 combined HCP hands are going to be below standard games on average, and 25 combined HCP hands are going to be well above average contracts. You are still going to need invites. Of course, you can use Woolsey game tries (bid game and TRY to make it).

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users