Bottom 6 Mea Maxima Culpa

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-April-28, 15:35

Arguably, this was my worst effort :(
Matchpoints, Acol, Partner leads 2 8 J A. Declarer leads 3 6 K, A. Now what?

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-28, 15:47

9 partner shouldn't be missing A at this vul, I expect him to tell me what to play after I get my ruff by the card he plays next.

#3 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-April-28, 17:49

I'm kind of inclined to take the A here. It's safe in that partner should not have 4 hearts and when I play my diamond and get a ruff, partner will have more info to guide me. I'm not sure, though. When I first saw this, the diamond on trick 3 looked so automatic, it would depend upon who I was playing with, I guess. How likely is partner to have AQxxxxxx? How good are the opps? Holding 5 spades and 4 hearts will they bid 4d? Maybe they are 6/4 majors? That's why I'm leaning to the heart. I don't think it will cost and could gain on a couple holdings.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-April-29, 03:14

View PostHardVector, on 2019-April-28, 17:49, said:

I'm kind of inclined to take the A here. It's safe in that partner should not have 4 hearts and when I play my diamond and get a ruff, partner will have more info to guide me. I'm not sure, though. When I first saw this, the diamond on trick 3 looked so automatic, it would depend upon who I was playing with, I guess. How likely is partner to have AQxxxxxx? How good are the opps? Holding 5 spades and 4 hearts will they bid 4d? Maybe they are 6/4 majors? That's why I'm leaning to the heart. I don't think it will cost and could gain on a couple holdings.

It costs where partner has 8 diamonds to the ace and a stiff heart and you can't read the heart as stiff. Not cashing the heart loses when partner has 8 diamonds and no hearts.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-April-29, 09:56

I won the and returned a for a well deserved zero matchpoints.
Everybody else got this right, returning a to set the contract with a ruff

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-April-29, 12:01

3D was nuts. No spots, short suit, vulnerable against not.

However, the gamble was winning until South lost his mind. There was virtually zero chance that partner (a) had a club void and (b) lacked the diamond Ace. Even if he had 8 diamonds, and a stiff club, he isn't void in hearts, so after winning the diamond Ace, he has no hope but to play a heart, and now we have no hope but to play a club.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-30, 12:38

I think the heart A followed by the dia 9 sends the best message about needing a dia return. Returning the 9 immediately might seem like doing the obvious but what if that 9 is not so easy to read as a singleton (I know I have never had an opp bid 3d with AQxxxx:)). If p decides we need the heart A they might assume a heart switch is needed to set the contract instead of a dia. Leading the heart ace eliminates that line of thought.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users