BBO Discussion Forums: cue by opener in comp needs better constraints - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cue by opener in comp needs better constraints

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-29, 15:23

I'm not exactly sure what hands belong in cue bidding 3s vs doubling 2s (perhaps 3s = running clubs or diamond fit, know where to go, dbl = 18-19 no stopper or strong club+heart reverse type hands), but surely this hand doesn't qualify. Suggest 3s = 16+ total points, no spade stop.
Actual hand is clear pass, obv.

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-April-30, 11:16

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-April-29, 15:23, said:

I'm not exactly sure what hands belong in cue bidding 3s vs doubling 2s (perhaps 3s = running clubs or diamond fit, know where to go, dbl = 18-19 no stopper or strong club+heart reverse type hands), but surely this hand doesn't qualify. Suggest 3s = 16+ total points, no spade stop.
Actual hand is clear pass, obv.

Cue bid should be as it was taken here, ala Western Cuebid. Asks the question, "Partner, do you have a stopper?". Normally I would expect a hand that can run 9 tricks with the stopper, or a hand that had a stopper themselves, and was looking to bolster it. I would expect a double to be support, even for a minor. This hand is a clear pass, however. Since partner has shown values, the pass should be about 80% forcing. I can only imagine passing 2s with a hand that is a clear misfit. I have no idea what the bot methods are, though.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-30, 13:39

Using double as support on this auction is extremely weird and non-std. Support doubles are normally only used when partner has responded at the 1 level (often 4cds) and 4th hand has bid something under 2 of our suit (so that partner always has a safeish landing spot at 2 of his suit, even when weak and only 4 cds), and so that our 2 level raise can guarantee 4 cds. On this auction partner has guaranteed 5 and decent values, you don't need a support double. If you actually have support on this auction you can just raise. Meanwhile there are strong hands with no clear idea what to do that want to double to get partner to freely show clubs/NT/hearts at a lower level which is much more efficient than putting everything into 3s.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users