Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO V3

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-April-30, 13:41

When I logged into BBO tonight it defaulted to a new/different interface (Version 3) which is a nightmare. Stabbing at buttons trying to find a way forward screens open up and they're slightly off screen with the close button off screen so they can't be closed! I eventually found the Acol site I play on and every seat at every table had a no entry sign (a red circle with a red bar)! WHAT IS GOING ON?

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-30, 15:04

Looks like BBO has officially switched over to the HTML5 version that they have been testing for quite a while. If you look at the upper right corner of the login screen, there is a link to the old Flash version.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-01, 09:03

There are two versions of the home page, depending on which version of BBO you used last.

If you used the Flash version, you should see two buttons: "New Version" and "Old Version".

If you used the HTML version, or you haven't used either version recently, the "Login / Register" button goes to the HTML version, and there's the link in the corner takes you to the Flash version.

The only way a regular user of the Flash version would get the flavor of the home page that takes you to V3 would be if you block cookies from bridgebase.com (we use a cookie to remember which version you used last).

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-01, 09:56

barmar, on 2019-May-01, 09:03, said:

The only way a regular user of the Flash version would get the flavor of the home page that takes you to V3 would be if you block cookies from bridgebase.com (we use a cookie to remember which version you used last).

Not sure what you mean with this. If you log on the new version, next time you visit www.bridgebase.com you see the one-login button page, the one that goes straight to the new version. No need to block cookies or do anything fancy.

You'll get new version if you used new version last, and two login buttons if you used the flash version last.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-02, 10:12

diana_eva, on 2019-May-01, 09:56, said:

Not sure what you mean with this. If you log on the new version, next time you visit www.bridgebase.com you see the one-login button page, the one that goes straight to the new version. No need to block cookies or do anything fancy.

You'll get new version if you used new version last, and two login buttons if you used the flash version last.

Since the OP said that this was a change, I assumed that he usually uses the Flash version. And in that case he should have gotten the version of the home page that has two buttons. No one who is a regular user of the old version should get the one-button page, unless they're blocking cookies (if the cookie isn't set, we treat them as new users, and they go to V3).

#6 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-02, 12:36

I found the 'use flash version' in the top right corner which got me back to what I knew (and what worked). I don't know how I got onto the new version, I'd previously seen it advertised and ignored it. All that said, I know my way around computers and software and from what I could see that new version has more bugs in it than a tramps bed.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:56

euclidz, on 2019-May-02, 12:36, said:

I found the 'use flash version' in the top right corner which got me back to what I knew (and what worked). I don't know how I got onto the new version, I'd previously seen it advertised and ignored it. All that said, I know my way around computers and software and from what I could see that new version has more bugs in it than a tramps bed.

We all use the new version every day, we're not aware of any major bugs in it. There are missing features (we'll get to them eventually) and there are things that work differently. But we think that it's mostly solid -- we wouldn't be pushing it as the default version if we didn't think it was ready.

#8 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 14:35

OK, I give up, the old (flash) version is simply too difficult. So I thought I'd try the new version. I can't find the new version, I can't see where I log into it? Searching google I did find many references to 'problems' with BBO software, I saw there was a merger with Fun Bridge (never heard of it). BBO 'was' (using the past tense as it looks like it's gone or going) was free so I can't complain. In fact, a couple of times, I emailed BBO to thank them for a great resource that was free. I also found a response from someone talking about change and people like me not accepting change. I am happy with change particularly change for the better. I understand that Flash is going /has gone, what I don't understand is why the 'new' BBO software wasn't written to give the same (excellent) appearance and functionality as the old version that's someone changing something just for the sake of making it different i.e. I did that I changed it!

So . . . . how do I log into the 'new' version?

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-03, 15:23

[quote name='euclidz' timestamp='1556915704' post='973993'

[/quote]

go to www.bridgebase.com
click on the button that says login
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 18:17

euclidz, on 2019-May-03, 14:35, said:

OK, I give up, the old (flash) version is simply too difficult. So I thought I'd try the new version. I can't find the new version, I can't see where I log into it? Searching google I did find many references to 'problems' with BBO software, I saw there was a merger with Fun Bridge (never heard of it). BBO 'was' (using the past tense as it looks like it's gone or going) was free so I can't complain. In fact, a couple of times, I emailed BBO to thank them for a great resource that was free. I also found a response from someone talking about change and people like me not accepting change. I am happy with change particularly change for the better. I understand that Flash is going /has gone, what I don't understand is why the 'new' BBO software wasn't written to give the same (excellent) appearance and functionality as the old version that's someone changing something just for the sake of making it different i.e. I did that I changed it!

If you are using Internet Explorer the new version will be buggy. Switch to Chrome or Firefox and you will see the link to the new version.

#11 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-04, 01:34

diana_eva, on 2019-May-03, 18:17, said:

If you are using Internet Explorer the new version will be buggy. Switch to Chrome or Firefox and you will see the link to the new version.

When I log in I get V1.48x is that the 'new' version?

#12 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-04, 12:17

I loaded Chrome. Chrome defaults to the new version IE defaults to the old version.

(Taking aside Flash issues) The format and structure of the old version was perfect so why change it? Why would you do that?

Bye the by I've looked at the new version and clicked on this and that and I can make it work half as well as the old version. What I can't get is to see the tricks taken i.e. I can't see, during the game, how many tricks and which tricks were taken by declarer and opps. I presume that must be possible - how? I can't understand why it does not default to that view, during play we all want to see, at any point during play where we're up to in making or defeating a contract.

#13 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-04, 14:10

I found the won and lost tricks!

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-06, 01:12

euclidz, on 2019-May-04, 12:17, said:

I loaded Chrome. Chrome defaults to the new version IE defaults to the old version.

The new version doesn't work properly in IE.

(Taking aside Flash issues) The format and structure of the old version was perfect so why change it? Why would you do that?

The new version is the same version we wrote for the mobile app, but with some layout changes to take advantage of larger desktop screens.

#15 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-08, 12:24

I've now found where most things are, three things I can't find are:
1. Bidding history. (After bidding has finished and play has started I want to refresh my memory on how the bidding went and I can't see where that is)
2. Delete chat. (can't find how I clear the chat screen).
3. Chat manager. (In the old version I had a list of pre-written lines which I could 'send' so as to save time and effort typing in text regularly used, I can't now see that feature/option

#16 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-08, 13:52

euclidz, on 2019-May-08, 12:24, said:

I've now found where most things are, three things I can't find are:
1. Bidding history. (After bidding has finished and play has started I want to refresh my memory on how the bidding went and I can't see where that is)
2. Delete chat. (can't find how I clear the chat screen).
3. Chat manager. (In the old version I had a list of pre-written lines which I could 'send' so as to save time and effort typing in text regularly used, I can't now see that feature/option

1. Click where the contract is displayed

2. Click in the chat area. A menu will appear that includes "clear chat" or similar (among other things)

3. See 2 above.

#17 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-29, 00:36

I like:
  • History, double-dummy on previous tourneys, all tables, for a month(I think)
  • speed
  • option for voicing chat

Things I miss
  • Saving all deals in a tournament
  • Player categories - essential for TDing AND playing.
  • Unable to sort table lists by player names (useful for TDing near tourney end)
  • No VUgraph voice
  • FD convention cards.
  • Convention card list confusing - why not
  • list each CC & then all the players you use it with &
  • list CC used with each player profile.

Still broken:
  • History shows NS & EW vs We & They for tournaments where players switch directions.
  • Useless Description for Tables. Why was this ever there?

I would like (suggestions):
  • In table list: round #; board #; minutes used in round; minutes since last action - sortable - to help TDs manage tourneys
  • In round box: Pairs/Indy/Team indication; Survivor/Swiss/Clocked/Unclocked indication - mainly for subs.
  • In Deal Archive, show count of deals with the Archive name

-- tom

#18 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-13, 11:25

No reply from BBO?

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-June-15, 10:37

0 carbon, on 2020-June-13, 11:25, said:

No reply from BBO?

We don't generally reply to wishlist posts like this. We just keep them in mind for future development.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users