• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New BBO is OK The Good Side

#1 User is offline   eamongall 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 06:05

Good afternoon fellow BBO users

The new BBO will be okay. One good item is for me who plays challenges I can see the results of challenges and the boards and the imps/mps.
The folk at BBO don't go out of their way on purpose to cause us distress.
Its quite possible we are an aging community trying to use young peoples toys.
Whoever among us 50+ or even 80+ year olds thought we would play BridgeBase Online on a phone.

For me personally I used to use Okbridge with Matt Clegg back in the 1990s before internet was available in our homes. I used to rush into work early so I could log into the system called charon and use the okbridge program. Later I paid money to use okbridge for many years. Finally it was time to head for Bridgebase Online which I suspect was sometime in early 2000s but it is listed on my profile when I created my account.

I even met Fred Gitleman in my home country in Ireland so maybe I am biased.
1.5 years later or so Fred took the time to sit and smoke a cigarette or 2 with me in San Francisco at US Nationals.

I am currently using the FLASH(old) version mostly but have used the new version also.
We are all creatures of habit and we like what we are used to.

I had a 13 year old car which as far as I was concerned ran like a thoroughbred racehorse and when she indicated she would take it off me and give me a 5 year old 3 times more powerful model I still wanted my 13 year old one for some reason.
Now I drive the 5 year old one and it has better everything. Sadly my wonderful 13 year old car is now in the hands of someone who will bang it off every wall that gets in her way and bump it over every speed restriction ramp on every road.

So lets keep playing bridge as everything will be okay soon.

Maybe someday they might even let me and the rest of you export our played hands to pbn or LIN format. What we will do with them I don't know but its nice to keep hands that are good.

Currently we can save all our hands in directories on our BBO account but no ability to export to any other program.

However Bridgebase Online is still a top runner.
Every user will have different problems but one still remembers with fondness the old WINDOWS
client and I personally am still lucky enough to use it the odd time but only for recording training sessions.

Back when the FLASH version of BBO started we also had similar reluctance to change but we all changed gradually and FLASH BBO became what we used.

Think of all the years of pleasure so many people had from Bridgebase Online.
15 years ago I was playing against strong teenagers called jlall and septembre on BBO and now they are world reknowned bridge players. Even the quite decent jchiu was an opponent.

Also many of our friends passed on would love to have our problem of changing to the NEW VERSION reluctantly. There was even a chap called FLASH.

Thanks
Eamon Galligan
Dublin
Ireland

PS Now I will leave the old FLASH version and see if I can do a weekend of NEW version.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-03, 06:24

I have mixed feelings about the new version.

1. No more Flash - Big improvement
2. I'm finding it easier to mess up during plays (If I misclick and start to play a card, I'm having trouble unplaying it)
3. Feels less responsive when showing results
4. Still having trouble getting sounds to work right
5. Challenge a star is currently amusing me
6. Seeing a bunch of ASK GIB FAIL ERRORS

However, I am sure that I'll get used to things
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   eamongall 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 08:12

View Posteamongall, on 2019-May-03, 06:05, said:

Good afternoon fellow BBO users

The new BBO will be okay. One good item is for me who plays challenges I can see the results of challenges and the boards and the imps/mps.
The folk at BBO don't go out of their way on purpose to cause us distress.
Its quite possible we are an aging community trying to use young peoples toys.
Whoever among us 50+ or even 80+ year olds thought we would play BridgeBase Online on a phone.

For me personally I used to use Okbridge with Matt Clegg back in the 1990s before internet was available in our homes. I used to rush into work early so I could log into the system called charon and use the okbridge program. Later I paid money to use okbridge for many years. Finally it was time to head for Bridgebase Online which I suspect was sometime in early 2000s but it is listed on my profile when I created my account.

I even met Fred Gitleman in my home country in Ireland so maybe I am biased.
1.5 years later or so Fred took the time to sit and smoke a cigarette or 2 with me in San Francisco at US Nationals.

I am currently using the FLASH(old) version mostly but have used the new version also.
We are all creatures of habit and we like what we are used to.

I had a 13 year old car which as far as I was concerned ran like a thoroughbred racehorse and when she indicated she would take it off me and give me a 5 year old 3 times more powerful model I still wanted my 13 year old one for some reason.
Now I drive the 5 year old one and it has better everything. Sadly my wonderful 13 year old car is now in the hands of someone who will bang it off every wall that gets in her way and bump it over every speed restriction ramp on every road.

So lets keep playing bridge as everything will be okay soon.

Maybe someday they might even let me and the rest of you export our played hands to pbn or LIN format. What we will do with them I don't know but its nice to keep hands that are good.

Currently we can save all our hands in directories on our BBO account but no ability to export to any other program.

However Bridgebase Online is still a top runner.
Every user will have different problems but one still remembers with fondness the old WINDOWS
client and I personally am still lucky enough to use it the odd time but only for recording training sessions.

Back when the FLASH version of BBO started we also had similar reluctance to change but we all changed gradually and FLASH BBO became what we used.

Think of all the years of pleasure so many people had from Bridgebase Online.
15 years ago I was playing against strong teenagers called jlall and septembre on BBO and now they are world reknowned bridge players. Even the quite decent jchiu was an opponent.

Also many of our friends passed on would love to have our problem of changing to the NEW VERSION reluctantly. There was even a chap called FLASH.

Thanks
Eamon Galligan
Dublin
Ireland

PS Now I will leave the old FLASH version and see if I can do a weekend of NEW version.

Well I tried making a video using the new version of BBO and had to revert to OLD version after about 7 slow boards and many crashes.
I was using advanced robots this time.
Today I played a 16 board challenge on NEW BBO using basic robots and everything was much better

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

the link to the new video is above

Other videos can be found on http://eamongall.blogspot.ie

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-06, 01:05

View Posteamongall, on 2019-May-04, 08:12, said:

Well I tried making a video using the new version of BBO and had to revert to OLD version after about 7 slow boards and many crashes.
I was using advanced robots this time.
Today I played a 16 board challenge on NEW BBO using basic robots and everything was much better

I'm not sure why the version of our software should make any difference when you're making a video. It's just recording whatever is on the screen, right? Certainly the robot version shouldn't have any effect, that's just a different setting on our server, your PC is not involved at all.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-07, 06:48

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-06, 01:05, said:

I'm not sure why the version of our software should make any difference when you're making a video. It's just recording whatever is on the screen, right? Certainly the robot version shouldn't have any effect, that's just a different setting on our server, your PC is not involved at all.

I don't think he was suggesting that anything went wrong on his PC or in the making of a video.
I read it as saying that one day the new version was slow and erratic and the next day it was not, that the second day he was using basic robots if that is possibly related, and that he has videos of both.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users