BBO Discussion Forums: after oponnents interfere with partners 2 club opener - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

after oponnents interfere with partners 2 club opener 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 15:33

If east bids after partners 2 opener I like to play double "partner you are on your own"

and pass I have something for you [ Ace or King or 2 Queens]

Does this sound like best approach?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 16:20

View Postdickiegera, on 2019-May-03, 15:33, said:

If east bids after partners 2 opener I like to play double "partner you are on your own"

Thank you

You might prefer to reverse the meanings. Partner

may pass for penalty if your double is "I am broke."

Partner can X for takeout if you pass.

What is the meaning of X by opener after you pass?

Is it penalty or takeout?

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 17:34

Thank you

Yes!

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-May-03, 18:11

Yes, the consensus has shifted to Double=weak, Pass=some values.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 19:39

It's the most common approach without discussion, but personally I've soured on the dbl = bad hand meaning for at least the past 5 years or so.

• If the double can be any shape, how can opener ever sensibly leave it in when you can have any number of trumps, any shape?
  • If opener pulls the double is that a real, long suit, or he just has 4 carder and couldn't stand leaving the double in?
  • You take away opener's ability to takeout double which might be the most frequent thing he wants to do.
  • In every other situation in bridge dealing with preempt openings and other interference, the long term trend has been to use lots of takeout doubles, switch to takeout doubles. So what's different about this auction? Why not just continue to use takeout doubles which are familiar?

So I've switched to dbl = values, takeout from both sides. Basically assume opener has the 22+ NT hand until demonstrated otherwise, bid intelligently, treat as if opponent had opened a preempt except that you have exchanged info beforehand so opener already has shown a moose and responder can bid on much less.

#6 User is offline   bedfordvan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 01:13

Hi guys

I was taught years ago that double promises 8 plus points pass 4 or less and a suit bid 5 to 7 ( 5 cards or more ) Meaning you pass a flat hand with up to 6 or 7 HCP.

I think this is a better approach as partner can pass double for penalties or be sure of a game possibly slam.

If responder then jumps over openers rebid opener will Know hand is balanced with 5 to 7 points.

Comments welcome

#7 User is offline   dB451 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-04, 02:36

I like to play 2H Bust, where, absent interference, after a 2C opener, 2D is game-forcing (not alertable, per the few-years-ago rule change), implying at least an Ace, a King, or 2 Queens (also, responder's 2NT would imply 3 Kings, after which systems are on, because we want to transfer, so responder can receive the lead, protecting all their Kings). Anyway, with interference, I like to play "P0D1", meaning Pass shows responder would have made the weaker bid of 2H (represented by the logical "0" in P0D1) without interference, and Double shows responder would have made the stronger, game-forcing bid of 2D (logical "1" in P0D1). Then, over interference, followed by responder's Pass, opener can more effectively decide whether to compete, knowing responder is broke. Similarly, if responder doubles the interference, opener may see a chance for either a game or a lucrative penalty - the latter, for instance, if the opponents were foolish enough to come in red against white (or even white against white). Someone tried this in a recent tournament, where I opened a non-vul 2C hand (4-losers or better), 2S interference, and partner doubles (showing they would have game-forced with 2D). Easy enough pass for me, after which we botched the double-dummy defense by two tricks, but still put them down 500, scoring more than our possible white game score. Fun.

#8 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-04, 09:36

I am very old fashioned and play both dbls as business. Cannot see why something else would be better. Both of us can see vulnerability and make a sensible choice between penalty and any NT.

Maarten Baltussen

#9 User is offline   jjsb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2019-May-05, 00:01

Thank you

both idea looks ok for me as long as u discuss it with partner ...and also as long as u dont play hide and seek with a convention liek that and bid natural when u should ...
personally for me its
pass nothing to say
double showings cards mostly balanced nothing to say
rest natural (with priority to the pass and double action !!! )

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-05, 06:26

View Postmaartenxq, on 2019-May-04, 09:36, said:

I am very old fashioned and play both dbls as business. Cannot see why something else would be better. Both of us can see vulnerability and make a sensible choice between penalty and any NT.

Maarten Baltussen

One should play 2-(2)-Dbl and 2-(2)-pass-(Pass); Dbl as takeout for the same reason that (2)-Dbl and (2)-pass-(Pass)-Dbl are played as takeout: We have a good hand (in context) to play in a different suit than the opponent's.

After all, it is more likely to have a hand with various four card suits outside the opponent's suit (that are hard to show otherwise) than to have a trump stack in the opponent's suit.

And IF I should have a trump stack after 2-(2), I can simply pass, hoping for partner to double. (Note that partner cannot pass, since 2 is forcing to 2NT. That means that he cannot let the opponents play undoubled in a contract below 2NT.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-05, 06:56

We play that pass is the default, double is penalty oriented (up to level 3) and 2 (over double) is natural.
After our (forcing) pass, opener can double for penalty or cue the opponents' suit for takeout.
After our double, opener can pass for penalty or cue for takeout.

It's something we inherited without really discussing - Stephen's idea is probably better.
One of my long term projects is to redesign the whole 2 scheme and this can wait until then.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-05, 18:13

View PostdB451, on 2019-May-04, 02:36, said:

I like to play 2H Bust, where, absent interference, after a 2C opener, 2D is game-forcing (not alertable, per the few-years-ago rule change)

Rule change where? I would expect that in the vast majority of jurisdictions the bid would be alertable.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-05, 21:52

View PostVampyr, on 2019-May-05, 18:13, said:

Rule change where? I would expect that in the vast majority of jurisdictions the bid would be alertable.

From the ACBL alert chart, under not alertable, "Any 2♦ response to a strong artificial 2♣ opening"

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-06, 05:10

View PostTylerE, on 2019-May-05, 21:52, said:

From the ACBL alert chart, under not alertable, "Any 2♦ response to a strong artificial 2♣ opening"

I know it says ACBL in the heading, but perhaps people should also specify that their discussion is intended only for North American players.

Anyway, one of the best reasons to interfere is that you may pick off their suit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users