Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Underbidding weak two rebid GIB rebid way off the pace

#1 User is offline   rmcubed56 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-16, 11:53

North is so strong that personally I would open it 1S especially if Drury is available. When opened as a weak two however i responded with 2N force which GIB sees as artificial 15-point+ forcing.

GIB then makes a minimum bid of 3S which it says is 7-9 total points. Why? It clearly has a much stronger hand. Maybe it thinks we will end in no trumps and discounts points for doubleton and singleton? But it seems to score nothing for the Q either... anyway game was a sure thing. Next time I shall assume GIB can’t handle 2N with trump support and just jump straight to 4S.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-16, 21:03

To be honest, you might have just bid 4S holding four covers and a ruffing value. Partner's weak two should be decent vul vs not in 1st (not sure if GiB understands the nuances of seat and vulnerability though), so even opposite a minimum, 4S should have play.

But you are certainly right that the hand is far too good for a weak two opener. 6-4 shape, a great suit and a ton of intermediate cards. I would open 1S every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-17, 12:37

View Postrmcubed56, on 2019-May-16, 11:53, said:

North is so strong that personally I would open it 1S especially if Drury is available.

Drury over an opening in first seat?

View Postahydra, on 2019-May-16, 21:03, said:

To be honest, you might have just bid 4S holding four covers and a ruffing value. Partner's weak two should be decent vul vs not in 1st (not sure if GiB understands the nuances of seat and vulnerability though), so even opposite a minimum, 4S should have play.

But you are certainly right that the hand is far too good for a weak two opener. 6-4 shape, a great suit and a ton of intermediate cards. I would open 1S every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

ahydra

It depends a lot on how disciplined your preempts are and how you play 2NT: Ogust can describe a hand like this quite well, showing enough for South to bid game and not be tempted to investigate slam.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-May-17, 13:23

rmcubed56 complains that GIB underbid the North hand

Perhaps South should share the blame when game-prospects are good opposite a weaker North, say

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 6 5 4 2 5 4

#5 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-18, 14:14

looks like south has a pretty normal 4 call

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users