BBO Discussion Forums: What would you do? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you do?

Poll: What would you do? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Select from the list below

1. Pass. What's the problem? (22 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Pass. It's close, I'd have to think about it (17 votes [35.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.42%

3. Bid game. It's close, I'd have to think about it (9 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Bid game. What's the problem? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I wouldn't have opened that trash. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-24, 19:04

MPs, club game. Bidding is 2/1.

After partner shows a heart fit and a limit raise, what do you do?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-24, 22:50

If I were desperate for a top against mediocre opposition I might think about it at MPs, but even three looks a level too high with these cards. A trump lead is indicated on the bidding. Too many losers outside the spade suit. Twist or stick? I'm sticking. Pass.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-25, 00:56

You're on a guess here, as little as Qx, KJ10x, x, xxxxxx makes game good, but xx, AKxx, Qxx, Kxxx and it's not so great, at IMPs I bid game at MPs I think it's pretty close to a 50/50 call.

#4 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-May-25, 01:19

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-May-25, 00:56, said:

You're on a guess here, as little as Qx, KJ10x, x, xxxxxx makes game good, but xx, AKxx, Qxx, Kxxx and it's not so great, at IMPs I bid game at MPs I think it's pretty close to a 50/50 call.

Its pretty close.I shall bid game.A factor also to consider here is opponents are silent throughout.So I guess responder shall produce good 10/11.I believe he will not give an IMMEDIATE RAISE without a REALLY useful invitational hand in light of my bids. With a competitive but not invitational hand he shall PASS and then either compete or pass if opponents come in with 3 C/D.Considering his two bids the DJ10x and CQ may prove to be the keys.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 04:22

Lots of bad news. A weakish H suit, a dubious CQ. And it is MPs.

At IMPs, I would reconsider, but it asks a lot (no wasted C a d short D + fitting H in the majors, or CK + a diamond slow stopper + they don’t lead D + good guesses in the majors) from partner.

The issue is p would probably bid the same with Qx AKxxx xx xxxx and xx Axxx Kxx Kxxx, as I could still have 16 of a bad 17.

So pass unless I’m playing against friends who need a top to qualify. And obviously no luck this time they got a bottom cuz I make!

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2019-May-25, 12:45

I have shown a hand with five spades, four hearts, and opening values. Partner has asked if I have more. I don't. So I pass/
Ken

#7 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 13:11

If Drury was available that failure points to passing: the plus score principle.

On the plus side the trump holding looks good- partner might be short in the reds or have combining cards if not.

So- I would look at who I am playing against to finally decide.

#8 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 14:15

View Postkenberg, on 2019-May-25, 12:45, said:

I have shown a hand with five spades, four hearts, and opening values. Partner has asked if I have more. I don't. So I pass/

I don't, but I almost do.
More points than an absolute minimum, semi-solid spades, a liberal dose of of 9 and 10, a singleton.
Offset partially by wasted honours in the minors, but still worth looking hard at before passing I think.

#9 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 15:59

Honestly, I was somewhat torn on this... It seems like a really solid game to me. Your partner has to hold some pretty nice cards to have a limit raise, there aren't many cards that you could consider wasted values across from your hand. Your opponents will often get the lead wrong on this hand even when double dummy it's an unmake-able. That spade suit on the side is a HUGE asset, after all, you know your partner has no more than a doubleton, and you've got AKJ.

So... I went and did a small scale analysis on this, because it was too tempting to pass up. I created 100 hands fixing the provided hand and randomly generating the rest of the hands assuming that our partner has 10-11, 0-2 spades, 4-5 hearts, and 3+ of each minor. The results were about as expected I'd say. Again, this assumes perfect play.

Making 6H: 1
Making 5H: 5
Making 4H: 16
Making 3H: 25
Making 2H: 3

Pass: (3x-50) + (25*140) + (16*170) + (5*200) + (1*230) = 7300
4H: (3x-100) + (25*-50) + (16*420) + (5*450) + (1*480) = 7900

Truly a coin toss... Although again, this assumes perfect defense. I guess the question is, how much do you respect your opponents?

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 16:23

Accepting invites when your range is 11-18 is a different proposition than when your range is 11-14. Partner is supposed to make some amount of courtesy raises to cater to you having 16+. Also since your range is wide and he has to make some courtesy raises, with the top end of his sounder technically invitational hands (that would maybe only want to invite if you were playing a strong club system or maybe Gazzilli and had a more limited hand) he is just supposed to blast game especially with 5 cd support.

Also, this is matchpoints which favors conservatism as long as not crazy conservative. 170 beats people who are 140 or -50 by the same margin as 420 does. Just making 10 tricks can be a good board if there is anything tricky to the play or if you need a favorable lead, without risking -50/-100 if 4 is hopeless.

#11 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-May-25, 17:02

View PostdsLawsd, on 2019-May-25, 13:11, said:

If Drury was available that failure points to passing: the plus score principle..
What does Drury have to do with the price of tea in China?
Is a first seat opening!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-May-25, 17:33

Why do posters assume partner has 10-11 hip? Yes, he may, but he has to raise with weaker than that. This is a price one pays for standard bidding, as opposed to, say, big club methods. Bidding 3H as opener creates a game force, so will have 18 or more if 5=4 majors. Therefore partner has to cater to our holding as much as 17 hip.

This is a bad hand. We have bad, short trump, and only 3 controls. Even at imps, red, I think this is very close, but at MPs, bidding rates to generate a minus score far too often. MPs is about plus scores, not big scores. Sure, 4H could make, but so what? Most of the time it won’t.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-25, 20:31

View PostKingCovert, on 2019-May-25, 15:59, said:

Making 6H: 1
Making 5H: 5
Making 4H: 16
Making 3H: 25
Making 2H: 3

Assuming the analysis to be solid, the numbers above prove that at MPs, you are better off passing.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-26, 02:36

Sir,As regards DRURY,i personally have noted a small number who DO use it IN ALL SEATS.That apart ,I would like to know if GAZZILLI convention could possibly have made any difference.I request the experts to throw some light on it.

#15 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-26, 02:42

View Poststeve2005, on 2019-May-25, 17:02, said:

What does Drury have to do with the price of tea in China?
Is a first seat opening!

My misread- since otherwise there is no real problem: either you are an overbidder or an underbidder?
But I appreciate your sarcasm. This is a Bizarro world right?
DAVE
###

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-26, 03:12

View Postmikeh, on 2019-May-25, 17:33, said:

Why do posters assume partner has 10-11 hip? Yes, he may, but he has to raise with weaker than that. This is a price one pays for standard bidding, as opposed to, say, big club methods. Bidding 3H as opener creates a game force, so will have 18 or more if 5=4 majors. Therefore partner has to cater to our holding as much as 17 hip.

This is a bad hand. We have bad, short trump, and only 3 controls. Even at imps, red, I think this is very close, but at MPs, bidding rates to generate a minus score far too often. MPs is about plus scores, not big scores. Sure, 4H could make, but so what? Most of the time it won't.

Sir ,pardon me.After reading the description of the assets of the oppening hand I personally think that opener has erred in bidding 1S .Frankly speaking then he perhaps should PASS the 1NT non forcing response as Partner has denied a spade support and he does have DJ10x and CQ which POSSIBLY be useful for NT.Or perhaps they should employ any other useful convention which caters for such maddening hands.

\\

#17 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-May-26, 04:20

View PostdsLawsd, on 2019-May-25, 13:11, said:

the plus score principle.

View Postmikeh, on 2019-May-25, 17:33, said:

MPs is about plus scores, not big scores.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

#18 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-26, 04:35

It is very close indeed. I consider my pass as rather timid. A lot depends on partner, opponents and the field we are playing in. If partner is a good declarer and hates to miss game I surely bid game. Same if opponents are sloppy defenders.

Partner can easily have 5 which improves game chances considerably. Will 3 +1 score enough. In a good field probably not. Maybe I should change my vote to close but bid on.

Maarten Baltussen

#19 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-May-26, 06:36

View PostHardVector, on 2019-May-24, 19:04, said:

MPs, club game. Bidding is 2/1.

After partner shows a heart fit and a limit raise, what do you do?

Pass without any hesitation Partner's response of 1NT shows a maximum of 9 hcp which
added to yours only gives a combined total of 20-22 pts;;well short of what's needed for game.
The hand has no 'stuffing' and the singleton Q might just as well be a small one.
You might already be overboard in 3[hearts As partners 1NT was a limit bid,he really should have passed
2[hearts] as you were simply asking for preference. Pass and hope you can make it.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#20 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-26, 08:21

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-May-26, 06:36, said:

Pass without any hesitation Partner's response of 1NT shows a maximum of 9 hcp which
added to yours only gives a combined total of 20-22 pts
System is 2/1, not stone-age Acol. 1nt in this case can have up to 12 hcp. Though after 3H probably 11 is the max.

I agree with the pass though.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users