BBO Discussion Forums: The Most Biased Newspaper Article Ever? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Most Biased Newspaper Article Ever?

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-28, 23:27

Like many people, I am not happy with what is happening with politics in this country, but this portrayal of Nigel Farage and his Brexit Party is laughable.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartandhp

Many people would agree that the most dangerous man in Britain is Jeremy Corbyn, the half-witted (virtually uneducated - no degrees or diplomas) Labour leader, who cannot root out anti-Semitism in his own party, lays wreathes at Middle Eastern terrorist's funerals, and counts former terrorists as his friends. He has lost a sizable number of Labour voters because many of his 'working class' voters see him for what he is. Hence their support for Farage - admittedly not for me - but infinitely more patriotic than the British-despising Corbyn and his band of front bench henchmen and women.

And by the way, I was a Labour (democratic) supporter until a few years ago, despite my middle-class roots and upbringing as for many years I worked in the National Health Service, a great institution.

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-29, 01:23

If this is the Richard Seymour I think it is, entirely predictable, and not journalism, merely an expression of his views.

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-29, 01:28

It's an opinion article, not a "portrait of Nigel Farage".
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2019-May-29, 01:57

Nigel Farage is actively pursuing policies (a no deal Brexit most prominent) that a lot of people think will be terrible for his country. Yet he seems to be able to convince large numbers of citizens to vote for him using a combination of charisma, untruths, and lack of competence in his opposition. He seems increasingly likely to get what he wants.

The overwhelming sense I get from Corbyn is a lack of leadership. He wants to be on both sides of every issue, from Brexit to anti-semitism. Would it be better for Britain if Labour was lead by someone more willing to state clear positions and fight for them? Quite likely. But it seems harsh to classify someone like Corbyn as more dangerous than someone trying to wreck his own country’s economy (and winning).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-29, 03:19

View Postawm, on 2019-May-29, 01:57, said:

Nigel Farage is actively pursuing policies (a no deal Brexit most prominent) that a lot of people think will be terrible for his country. Yet he seems to be able to convince large numbers of citizens to vote for him using a combination of charisma, untruths, and lack of competence in his opposition. He seems increasingly likely to get what he wants.

I couldn't disagree more. A huge number of people think independence, the ability to organise our own trade arrangements, the ability to make our own laws, etc, will be wonderful for this country. He does not need to convince anybody. The country voted for independence, it voted for the conservatives who lied, who have repeatedly lied so many times, so the country switched to vote for someone else.

But I regret I disagree with you in your prognosis. Conservatives will obviously put someone in charge who has a Brexit ticket, and while that will probably be Boris I have a horrible feeling he will try to compromise, and not achieve what we need. He has already voted for the appalling May/EU plan. The outcome looks like there then being a general election, in which many vote Conservative, many vote for the Brexit party, with a combined electoral majority, but putting Labour and Corbyn into government. Worrying times.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-May-29, 04:25

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-May-29, 03:19, said:

, the ability to make our own laws, etc,

It is ironic that most of the laws in the EEC were designed by Britain post WWII
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2019-May-29, 09:23

I can understand being in favour of Brexit (even though I firmly believe it is very wrong, and harmful). I cannot understand voting for a politician who fought for decades for Brexit and then resigns the moment there is a chance he'd have to take any responsibility for the *****-show that was inevitably bound to happen. (Blame May all you want, the fact is that there is no majority in parliament for any Brexit option, and certainly not for a suicidal no-deal one.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-30, 08:22

Many of the laws are essentially Napoleon's, and many of the EU laws to come will be the new Napoleon's. Not sure I'd like them.
Cherdano hit the problem. Most of the current MPs in England are EU bureaucrats at heart, like their perks and salaries too much to change anything. It was noticeable that in the vote of confidence for the conservative leader the ones with the confidence were the many taking the extra money for a wide assortment of non-jobs, and the majority of the rest wanted change. Brexit might have to wait until somebody picks up the pieces after Corbyn.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-May-30, 09:20

View Postcherdano, on 2019-May-29, 09:23, said:

I can understand being in favour of Brexit (even though I firmly believe it is very wrong, and harmful). I cannot understand voting for a politician who fought for decades for Brexit and then resigns the moment there is a chance he'd have to take any responsibility for the *****-show that was inevitably bound to happen. (Blame May all you want, the fact is that there is no majority in parliament for any Brexit option, and certainly not for a suicidal no-deal one.)

The issue here is that no deal could have worked had it been pushed right at the beginning - it can't now, and that's a mess all of May's making. Varoufakis said at the time that her approach was the worst possible, and he was right.

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-02, 03:13

Yesterday I read of even more illegal immigrants via France being accepted into the country. If we had Brexit we could impose an escalating 5% extra import tax on France.

#11 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-02, 09:25

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-June-02, 03:13, said:

Yesterday I read of even more illegal immigrants via France being accepted into the country. If we had Brexit we could impose an escalating 5% extra import tax on France.

Is this inspired by Trump's Mexico tariff announcement?

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-June-02, 10:25

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-June-02, 03:13, said:

So, you don't want the EU to make laws for Britain but you want Britain to force France to change their laws.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-June-02, 12:32

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-June-02, 10:25, said:

So, you don't want the EU to make laws for Britain but you want Britain to force France to change their laws.

France is already massively breaking international law, we simply want them to live up to their obligations

#14 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-June-02, 22:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-June-02, 12:32, said:

France is already massively breaking international law, we simply want them to live up to their obligations

That is not how I understand international law concerning refugees.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-June-03, 02:32

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-June-02, 22:53, said:

That is not how I understand international law concerning refugees.

They should be claiming asylum in the first safe country, France doesn't want them so waves them through.

#16 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-05, 14:02

View PostWinstonm, on 2019-June-02, 10:25, said:

Of course I do not want France to change their laws, just uphold the ones they already have.

I was simply paralleling the Mexico situation. As USA does not want to be flooded with economic or other migrants from the countries south of Mexico, it is trying to apply some leverage/strongarm tactics or whatever on Mexico. The USA has the freedom to choose to do this as it sets its own laws and tariffs. I am not saying that UK would do the same, but it would be nice to have that ability. We don't. We are a vassal state.

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-June-05, 16:24

View PostfromageGB, on 2019-June-05, 14:02, said:

Of course I do not want France to change their laws, just uphold the ones they already have.

As USA does not want to be flooded with economic or other migrants from the countries south of Mexico, it is trying to apply some leverage/strongarm tactics or whatever on Mexico.

As for my side of the pond, you are confusing a minority (about 40% or less of the USA ) who are biased against non-whites with the majority who want to offer aid to genuine asylum seekers.

The strong-arm tactics are only supported by punks - and yes, the 2 biggest punks of all are in the White House, Individual-1 and his evil twin, Miller.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users