BBO Discussion Forums: who can call director for insufficient bid - acbl - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

who can call director for insufficient bid - acbl

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-30, 16:46

Hi - what is the rule on who can "notice", "call the director", for an insufficient bid? I thought it was anyone at the table.

This point was never raised to the director - but after the play and after the director had left - my RHO said I should NOT have called the director because it was my LHO that made the insufficient bid. I never heard this before. My partner was about to call anyway.

I would like to know this for future reference. I know that I have been at the table when people make that call - and I guess i never paid attention to who made the call or whether it was OK to do so.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 17:25

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-July-30, 16:46, said:

Hi - what is the rule on who can "notice", "call the director", for an insufficient bid? I thought it was anyone at the table.

This point was never raised to the director - but after the play and after the director had left - my RHO said I should NOT have called the director because it was my LHO that made the insufficient bid. I never heard this before. My partner was about to call anyway.

I would like to know this for future reference. I know that I have been at the table when people make that call - and I guess i never paid attention to who made the call or whether it was OK to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Your RHO is wrong. Law 9 covers this:

Law 9A1 said:

A. Drawing Attention to an Irregularity

1. Unless prohibited by Law, any player may draw attention to an irregularity during the auction period, whether or not it is his turn to call.

Law 9B1 said:

B. After Attention Is Drawn to an Irregularity

1. (a) The Director should be summoned at once when attention is drawn to an irregularity.
(b) Any player, including dummy, may summon the Director after attention has been drawn to an irregularity.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-July-31, 05:40

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-July-30, 16:46, said:

my RHO said I should NOT have called the director because it was my LHO that made the insufficient bid.
Sure you partner was about accept faulty bid-one of the reasons to call director
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 08:06

View Poststeve2005, on 2019-July-31, 05:40, said:

Sure you partner was about accept faulty bid-one of the reasons to call director

I actually raised my hand immediately after the card came down - my partner did not have a chance to say anything one way or the other. My partner would 99 percent of the time - if not all of the time - catch the insufficient bid and call the director anyway.

My action was not motivated by anything other than reacting to the irregularity.

But - even had it been - based on the prior reply to this topic - anyone at the table can call attention to the irregularity. I don't have to wait to see if my partner "accepts" the bid.

I actually think that if my RHO been allow to continue bidding, our score would have improved as she wanted to go to game and they go down.

I really do endeavor to just follow the rules regardless of consequences. So, without so much as a thought or second thought and certainly without analysis - I called the director. I think that is the proper procedure. I try to do it consistently rather than deciding based on what I "want" to happen.

#5 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 08:14

View PostPeterAlan, on 2019-July-30, 17:25, said:

Your RHO is wrong. Law 9 covers this:

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. She sounded so confident and I felt bad. She said it at least twice. I just said nothing because I thought anyone could call. I know it has happened before and either opp has called the director on me.

I cannot imagine that my partner would not have called a second later anyway. It was his bid that made the bid insufficient.

#6 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 14:08

Let me give you some general rules. During the auction, any player can call the director. During the play, dummy cannot initiate a director call (with some exceptions: in the ACBL, dummy can initiate a zero-tolerance violation director call). But if another play asks asks for the director to be called, it's OK for dummy to yell "Director, please!"

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-July-31, 14:10

And if there's ever any disagreement about whether to call the director, the best thing to do is call the director. I know it sounds circular, but it's their job to clarify the rules for players. Don't let other players bully you if they claim to know the rules, let the TD sort it out.

It sounds like the player thought that you can only call the TD when it's your turn to call. But there's no such rule. I think the only actions that are restricted to that time are making a call and asking questions about the opponents' bids.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 14:15

View Postmikestar13, on 2019-July-31, 14:08, said:

But if another play asks asks for the director to be called, it's OK for dummy to yell "Director, please!"

It's not illegal, but I don't think it's appropriate. I would suggest to the defender (or partner, as it may be) to actually call the Director rather than talk about it, and only if he defers would I meditate doing the same myself.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-31, 14:54

View Postmikestar13, on 2019-July-31, 14:08, said:

During the play, dummy cannot initiate a director call (with some exceptions: in the ACBL, dummy can initiate a zero-tolerance violation director call).

Law 9B1b says:

Any player, including dummy, may summon the Director after attention has been drawn to an irregularity.

So unless you meant "initiate" to mean "draw attention", you're wrong.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-03, 13:14

Dummy is not permitted to call attention to an irregularity until after the play is concluded. Once another player calls attention to an irregularity, dummy is permitted to call the director. In the ACBL, as Mikestar13 points out, there is one exception: dummy is permitted to call the director for a ZT violation even if no one else has called attention to it. I once, as dummy, called the director in such a case. He got about ten feet from the table, saw I was dummy, said "Ed, you know you're not allowed to call the director" and turned around. I called him again. B-)

A player who asks for the director to be called has called attention to.. something. If it's an irregularity, then anyone can call the director. If there's no obvious reason for him to ask that, well, that's his problem. He can call himself, or shut up.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-August-03, 20:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-August-03, 13:14, said:

Dummy is not permitted to call attention to an irregularity until after the play is concluded. Once another player calls attention to an irregularity, dummy is permitted to call the director. In the ACBL, as Mikestar13 points out, there is one exception: dummy is permitted to call the director for a ZT violation even if no one else has called attention to it. I once, as dummy, called the director in such a case. He got about ten feet from the table, saw I was dummy, said "Ed, you know you're not allowed to call the director" and turned around. I called him again. B-)

And I'm sure you know that even if you did violate the law against calling attention to an irregularity, the TD is still obligated to come and make a ruling when you (or anyone) calls. The only thing he can do about your mistake is give you a procedural penalty.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-04, 15:26

if he gave me a PP in that case I would appeal. He has no grounds.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-August-05, 09:08

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-August-04, 15:26, said:

if he gave me a PP in that case I would appeal. He has no grounds.

Obviously, since you were allowed to call attention to the ZT violation in that case. That's why I said "even if you did violate the law against calling attention to an irregularity" -- I was addressing the more general case.

But the TD was clearly wrong in saying you couldn't call the TD -- dummy is always allowed to call the TD once attention is drawn, no matter who drew attention (even themselves).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users