Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trump suit on right? The trump suit is now on the right side of dummy

#1 User is offline   Redbird44 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-19, 13:21

When I use the new software, both playing and defending a hand, the trump suit is often appearing on the right side of dummy. (I say often rather than always because I haven't use this enough to know if its occurring always or not.) I find this totally distracting!!!

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-19, 13:35

View PostRedbird44, on 2019-June-19, 13:21, said:

When I use the new software, both playing and defending a hand, the trump suit is often appearing on the right side of dummy. (I say often rather than always because I haven't use this enough to know if its occurring always or not.) I find this totally distracting!!!

It's a violation of Law (41D). Unfortunately the Law says nothing about the other suits or the order when playing NT, but at least in this aspect it should be respected by a software.

#3 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-19, 18:35

View Postpescetom, on 2019-June-19, 13:35, said:

It's a violation of Law (41D). Unfortunately the Law says nothing about the other suits or the order when playing NT, but at least in this aspect it should be respected by a software.

Law 41(D)

Dummy’s Hand
After the opening lead is faced, dummy spreads
his hand in front of him on the table, face up,
sorted into suits, the cards in order of rank with
lowest ranking cards towards declarer, and in
separate columns pointing lengthwise towards
declarer. Trumps are placed to dummy’s right.
Declarer plays both his hand and that of dummy.

The original Windows based version of BBO correctly displayed dummy, similar to what you would see if playing in a live game with real paper or plastic cards. When BBO came up with a Web based version (ie the old version based on Flash which you can still access for now), they regressed and stopped showing dummy correctly. This has continued with the current HTML5 version which you are presumably using.

#4 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2019-July-05, 08:31

I also would like option to not have trumps moved to end during play.

#5 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-06, 17:10

Since I've been forced to stop using the (much better in my view) Windows platform I have also noticed that the trump suit is on dummy's left instead of the right in violation of Law 41. I'm surprised that given how long ago this was pointed out it hasn't been fixed

#6 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-07, 14:08

View Postjohnjo42, on 2020-June-06, 17:10, said:

Since I've been forced to stop using the (much better in my view) Windows platform I have also noticed that the trump suit is on dummy's left instead of the right in violation of Law 41. I'm surprised that given how long ago this was pointed out it hasn't been fixed

I was forced to stop using the Windows client many years ago (simply because I forgot a password) but I don't remember it being any better.
But then I'm no great fan of Law 41 for that matter, not seeing any plausible reason why players needs this (and only this) specific memory aid and why dummy should be free to give six different and undisclosed messages with the order of the remaining suits.
On BBO I use the 'hand diagram' view where the suits are stacked vertically rather than aligned horizontally. I find this easier to read and don't think it is a threat to bridge as we know it. Although I agree there should be a decent graphic representation of a horizontal hand (see Funbridge) for those who prefer it.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-08, 05:12

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-07, 14:08, said:

I was forced to stop using the Windows client many years ago (simply because I forgot a password) but I don't remember it being any better.
But then I'm no great fan of Law 41 for that matter, not seeing any plausible reason why players needs this (and only this) specific memory aid and why dummy should be free to give six different and undisclosed messages with the order of the remaining suits.
On BBO I use the 'hand diagram' view where the suits are stacked vertically rather than aligned horizontally. I find this easier to read and don't think it is a threat to bridge as we know it. Although I agree there should be a decent graphic representation of a horizontal hand (see Funbridge) for those who prefer it.

Well, if you really are sending coded messages, there are in reality just two as suits are always put down with red and black alternating. What would be the reason anyway? You heard something about the hand and didn’t call the director? And you and partner have prearranged how to convey this? I wouldn’t worry about the suit order; this pair will just find another way to try to cheat.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-June-08, 11:09

I couldn't figure this out, because it's always been "correct" for me.

And then I went, "oh."

When dummy is oriented horizontally (you're declaring), trump is on the left.
When dummy is oriented vertically (you're defending), trump is *on the top*. So if you're declarer's LHO, "trump is on the right", while if you're RHO, trump is on the left.

It's obvious, perfectly natural way to present things - and legally wrong. I, frankly, wouldn't want it changed - "trump on the bottom" would throw me, even though at the table it always is. But as an option, for those for whom this throws them, it would be nice.

And no, hand diagrams aren't for everyone. I can think of three reasons why they're bad to play with, but the fact that I tried it for two weeks and hated it is good enough for me.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-08, 13:38

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-08, 11:09, said:

And no, hand diagrams aren't for everyone. I can think of three reasons why they're bad to play with, but the fact that I tried it for two weeks and hated it is good enough for me.

Hmmm I think I will try it too. But I expect that it will do my head in halfway through the first board.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users