BBO Discussion Forums: Nowhere To Go - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nowhere To Go

Poll: Your Opinion (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Better to Pass or Scramble?

1. Pass (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

2. Scramble (20 votes [60.61%])

Percentage of vote: 60.61%

Should North Double Again Vulnerable

1. Yes (30 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. No (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

How Do You Rate Partner's Three Heart Call

1. Reckless (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

2. Poor (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

3. Feasible (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

4. Sensible (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-20, 11:13

This board produced a slew of bad results at our weekly MPs, though some got off more lightly than others. Most the pairs were playing Acol, and if you know Acol bidding, the response of 1NT to a 1 opening (which usually is a minimum of a 4 card suit) shows some tolerance for s together with 8-10 HCPs, with or without the intervening double by my partner.

I chose to scramble with a bid of 2 which fortunately didn't get doubled, but partner then raised to 3 which was doubled.
That was a shared bottom board with one other pair.

I'm not out to castigate my partner, as I would have doubled on the second round too, and I felt that the raise to 3 wasn't so bad as with a slightly different South hand 4 might have some play.

So how do you see it? And, as always, thank you for your replies.

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-20, 13:20

Do you consider 2NT as scramble, or unthinkable?

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-20, 13:33

FelicityR writes 'This board produced a slew of bad results at our weekly MPs, though some got off more lightly than others. Most the pairs were playing Acol, and if you know Acol bidding, the response of 1NT to a 1 opening (which usually is a minimum of a 4 card suit) shows some tolerance for s together with 8-10 HCPs, with or without the intervening double by my partner.I chose to scramble with a bid of 2 which fortunately didn't get doubled, but partner then raised to 3 which was doubled.That was a shared bottom board with one other pair.I'm not out to castigate my partner, as I would have doubled on the second round too, and I felt that the raise to 3 wasn't so bad as with a slightly different South hand 4 might have some play.So how do you see it? And, as always, thank you for your replies.'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMO, The operation was successful :) but the patient died :(
Partner's doubles were fine, you were right to scramble, partner was right to bid 3, and you were both unlucky

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-20, 13:40

View Postpescetom, on 2019-June-20, 13:20, said:

Do you consider 2NT as scramble, or unthinkable?
there is nowhere to go partner just caught you with worst hand

on another day 4H might be there
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2019-June-20, 16:49

Forgive me, but PD's raise to 3 is awful. Based on his 17 count and 1NT showing 8-10 he can expect you to have at most possibly 1 useful high card and more likely none. PD's has shown his hand with his 2nd double and now must leave it up to you to compete further should the opps compete to 3.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-20, 17:00

View Postneilkaz, on 2019-June-20, 16:49, said:

Forgive me, but PD's raise to 3 is awful. Based on his 17 count and 1NT showing 8-10 he can expect you to have at most possibly 1 useful high card and more likely none. PD's has shown his hand with his 2nd double and now must leave it up to you to compete further should the opps compete to 3.

Do you expect partner to do more with say xx, J10xxx, 10x xxxx ? which is more than enough for 4 to be very playable, he could, but in some partnerships won't.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-20, 19:37

its MP we do not need to scramble for low % game chances. Pass over 2h seems best. P has heard the 2nd x and N does not have much in the way of extras. At IMPS I would try 3h.

#8 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-June-21, 01:06

Sirs, 1)With the mentioned vulnerability it is quite possible that the 1NT bid was a gag bid.(psyche) In that case one would have heard something from S. (2)presupposing that 1NT was explained as 9/10 HCP North must realise that partner may have not more than 2/3 HCP.If it so happened that a wrong explanation was given then NS could ask for redress later.(3)I must admit that it was a bit unwise yet tempting to JUST CONSIDER raising to to 3H,considering that E did not redouble to show 9/10 with support/tolerance for the majors.(4)S could have used a 2NT scramble Lebensohl bid had the auction gone 1S-X-2S-P-P-X but its not the case here.(5)W confirmed a long club suit(as opposed to a prepared club) and it is quite possible for him to hold four of either major suit.(6)in light of the bidding it is not unlikely for E to hold length ,but not strength in ,say K10xx in diamonds.(7)Keeping these in mind as also the fact that N has advertised a 16-18 hand with say about 5/6 losers ,S would certainly bid according to his loser count with a six card major suit(which he failed to bid with 2HCP hand and the vulnerability) (8)It ,hence .was quite possible for S to hold just the hand which he actually held,2H being the forced scramble bid.Of course he can have a 4 card suit.(9)N just does not have the WINNERS he is expected(or say supposed) to have for a 3H IMMEDIATE RAISE.It is not at all likely(believing S) or perhaps a bit hopeless to imagine that ten tricks can be made.IMO 3H was a reckless bid.P.S. It is possible to play a REVERSE LEBENSOHL in this auction.(of course this is just my opinion)

#9 User is offline   pes_6 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-21, 04:06

I understood "scramble" mean "escape" so I chose answer PASS. Partner bid good two times double but what the heck 3??? You can nothing only PASS 3x and after when board is finished say to your partner that he/she is a bad gambler.

#10 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 05:12

Given the vulnerability, I pass the second dbl. I expect opps to make, but still going to be best score and it may flush out a psyche by East

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-June-21, 05:14

View Postnekthen, on 2019-June-21, 05:12, said:

Given the vulnerability, I pass the second dbl. I expect opps to make, but still going to be best score

This was my first thought also

#12 User is offline   igt3 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 08:26

I don´t like 3 from partner. The second double told the story. If I have a little bit more I will bid 3 myself.

#13 User is offline   igt3 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 08:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-June-20, 17:00, said:

Do you expect partner to do more with say xx, J10xxx, 10x xxxx ? which is more than enough for 4 to be very playable, he could, but in some partnerships won't.

With this I would bid 3 (mostly because of my J10xxx in hearts)

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-June-21, 09:45

View Postigt3, on 2019-June-21, 08:28, said:

With this I would bid 3 (mostly because of my J10xxx in hearts)

If you're going to do this, you need a lot more than I do for the second X

#15 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 10:35

I think the bidding is fine except for partner's 3H call. At MPs, I would have passed, as it's very unlikely you have a game. At IMPs, 3H is worth considering.

#16 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 10:36

View Postmiamijd, on 2019-June-21, 10:35, said:

I think the bidding is fine except for partner's 3H call. At MPs, I would have passed, as it's very unlikely you have a game. I don't think 3H is insane by any means, however. At IMPs, 3H is worth considering.

#17 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-21, 23:53

All was fine except for the 3h bid. Partner should be warned by your failure to do anything after the 1n bid. That means that you shouldn't have a 9+ count. After the 2nd double, if you have an exceptional fit, you can bid 3h yourself without overstating your values, so partner should seriously consider the possibility that things are miserable when you just bid 2h. If you continually chase perfect fits, you will be disappointed more often than not. If 2h happens to make 4, shrug and move on, it's still possible that you are getting a good result because it may have taken some breaks to make 4.

#18 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-22, 01:50

Simple case of selling your hand twice 3 was a terrible bid. It shows distrust in your partner, a gamble mentality, lets have fun tonight or lack of bridge knowhow.

#19 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-04, 06:24

I would have passed.

With 5 clubs in your hand either the opponents will exhaust their trumps pulling yours and then partners high cards clean up or the opponents will expend trumps ruffing partner’s high cards and then your trumps are winners.

When your side declares, it can only be played from partners hand due to the lack of high cards in your hand. It’s tough to play from one hand only unless it has a running suits because there is no way to attack a suit from the opposite hand or finesse an otherwise badly placed opposing high card.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users