• You cannot reply to this topic

Suggested auction for NS?

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-June-22, 01:21

IMPs, NS vul.

System is weak NT with 5cM. East overcalls 2NT showing both minors. Do you double now as South, and if so what do you bid as North over 3m from West?

At the table South passed: what should South do on the second round after (3C)-3H-(p)?

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-22, 03:09

depends which way round you play dbl and pass. I prefer dbl = some values and subsequent dbls are t/o. So you have a choice with this hand you can pass or dbl it is quite close. once partner bids 3 it is again close but I guess 3nt is ok. If south has dbled showing some values north has to do more than just 3 as it might be passed.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-22, 03:27

I would double 2N as "ability to double one or both of opps suits" what happens next would be unclear, but if E is 1255 making anything is going to be a struggle on a spade lead.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-22, 08:33

ahydra writes 'IMPs, NS vul.System is weak NT with 5cM. East overcalls 2NT showing both minors. Do you double now as South, and if so what do you bid as North over 3m from West? At the table South passed: what should South do on the second round after (3C)-3H-(p)?'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMO
-- South's double of 2N shows values in at least one of the 2N bidder's suits and creates a forcing-pass context. Arguably, here, South isn't strong enough for a double. Instead, he should pass. In the old days, some players would say "Content" :)
-- With that understanding, after South's double and West's 3, a 3 bid by North should be weak and shapely, unsuitable for defence. With sound values (as here), North should pass (then remove the double if necessary -- but, he could pass South's double with this hand).

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-June-22, 09:56

I would pass on the first round (not quite strong enough to be willing to double 3

I would bid 4 over 3
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-22, 10:23

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-June-22, 09:56, said:

I would pass on the first round (not quite strong enough to be willing to double 3

I would bid 4 over 3

Why not bid 3N, that is the best game I think

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-June-23, 17:01

I think South's pass over 2 NT is reasonable. With a little more, say 10-11 HCP, I'd make a double showing the ability to penalize one of their suits. That would ensure the balance of the points. Opener could be on a minimum for all responder knows.

A lot of good players play unusual versus unusual, so South's cue bids of 3 and 3 would show (with tolerance for ) and with values. That leaves direct bids of 3 and 3 as non-forcing competitive bids.

After South's pass followed by (3 ), North can double to show extras. 3 should show a distributional, minimum hand.

#8 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-23, 18:25

1s-(2n)-p-(3d probable)-3h-(p)-3n-(p)-4h

I disagree that 3h should show a minimal hand. Partner's pass shows nothing, so why put yourself out for a potential -500 against a part score?

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-June-24, 08:04

View PostHardVector, on 2019-June-23, 18:25, said:

1s-(2n)-p-(3d probable)-3h-(p)-3n-(p)-4h

I disagree that 3h should show a minimal hand. Partner's pass shows nothing, so why put yourself out for a potential -500 against a part score?

Would you pass with something like AKxxx KJ10xx x xx? If not, then how do you show the actual hand held?

#10 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-24, 09:01

View Postrmnka447, on 2019-June-24, 08:04, said:

Would you pass with something like AKxxx KJ10xx x xx? If not, then how do you show the actual hand held?

Yes, I would pass. Keep in mind, that partner is still in the picture if it goes 1s-(2n)-p-(3c/3d)-p-(p)-. If partner passes here, are you missing anything? Do they have a fit? Do WE have a fit? You have 11 points and partner has shown nothing, where are the values? I've actually had a hand like this in the past and it turned out that the opponents could actually make 6c. They got used to bidding this way, however, because they are used to people bailing them out of poor decisions and pushing them into their good contracts. At this point, if partner can double, I now know it's not penalty (failure to do anything after 2n), and I now know partner isn't broke and we have a fit. NOW I can be aggressive.

I already said what I would do with the actual hand, bid 3h. This should show a GOOD distributional hand.

#11 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-25, 05:49

I tend to have the agreement that double of 2NT shows interest in penalty, but includes partner in the decision. The next double is takeout, so some cooperation is required.

Here, I'm quite happy to double either minor for penalties, so I would pass. Unfortunately North has enough strength and shape to bid 3H and get in the way of my plan, so I'll just raise to 4H. So the auction would go:

1S - 2NT - P - 3C
3H - P - 4H - All pass

Partner now knows I have some values, but not much since I could have bid one of their suits with good values.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users