BBO Discussion Forums: grand slam makes with "reverse" (playing trumps from board) double squeeze making a grand slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

grand slam makes with "reverse" (playing trumps from board) double squeeze making a grand slam

#1 User is offline   timouthy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-29, 16:45

I played this hand recently in the Main Club. After a spade lead, I pulled trump and then tried to discard board's spade losers on club suit winners. When clubs didn't break, I resorted to a squeeze using boards trumps. In the two card ending, north hangs onto a spade and a diamond and south hangs onto a club and a diamond. I pitch my club and cash two diamond tricks to make it!

I have URL link below. Would like to know how to copy actual bbo hand picture to this post if anyone out there knows.

tx timouthy

https://www.bridgeba...|n|rh||ah|Board 31|mb|P|mb|1N|mb|P|mb|2D|mb|P|mb|3H|mb|P|mb|4N|mb|P|mb|5C|mb|P|mb|7H|mb|P|mb|P|mb|P|pc|SK|pc|SA|pc|ST|pc|S2|pc|HA|pc|H4|pc|H6|pc|HQ|pc|C3|pc|C2|pc|CA|pc|C8|pc|CK|pc|CT|pc|S4|pc|C5|pc|CQ|pc|D2|pc|S7|pc|C6|pc|C4|pc|S6|pc|H2|pc|C9|pc|H5|pc|D4|pc|HK|pc|S5|pc|HJ|pc|D3|pc|H7|pc|D5|pc|H3|pc|SQ|pc|HT|pc|D9|pc|H9|pc|S9|pc|S3|pc|D7|pc|H8|pc|DT|pc|C7|pc|D8|pc|DJ|pc|DK|pc|DA|pc|DQ|pc|D6|pc|SJ|pc|S8|pc|CJ|

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-29, 18:00

Timouthy writes 'I played this hand recently in the Main Club. After a spade lead, I pulled trump and then tried to discard board's spade losers on club suit winners. When clubs didn't break, I resorted to a squeeze using boards trumps. In the two card ending, north hangs onto a spade and a diamond and south hangs onto a club and a diamond. I pitch my club and cash two diamond tricks to make it! I have URL link below. Would like to know how to copy actual bbo hand picture to this post if anyone out there knows.'
++++++++++++++++++++

Pretty pseudo-squeeze :) although South can defeat it by chucking s, keeping black winners :(
Reply to see how to edit Timouthy's URL to display the deal in a BBO post (or HTML page). Partial explanation....
-- hv abbreviation for https: ... handviewer.html (in BBO posts).
-- lin old BBO handviewer format.
-- pn name player
-- md make deal.
-- ah head board.
-- mb make bid.
-- pc play card.
-- width/height of diagram.and
-- comments.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-30, 03:18

Good to make the contract but as Nigel pointed out precise defending does beat it. However, the interesting thing is how to bid it sensibly to 6, or 7 if you fancy a gamble not knowing West's hand.

Give West KQJx Kx Axxx Axx and 7 is a possible contract.

Maybe Stayman followed by the Smolen convention is the way to correctly bid East's hand if West doesn't show a 4 card major in reply to Stayman. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-30, 04:10

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-June-30, 03:18, said:

Good to make the contract but as Nigel pointed out precise defending does beat it. However, the interesting thing is how to bid it sensibly to 6, or 7 if you fancy a gamble not knowing West's hand.

Give West KQJx Kx Axxx Axx and 7 is a possible contract.

Maybe Stayman followed by the Smolen convention is the way to correctly bid East's hand if West doesn't show a 4 card major in reply to Stayman. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I think the transfer is best, but surely it qualifies for a super accept. After that one splinters a minor, or shows spades as second suit, or as a control, according to system. We would control bid directly over the super accept and stop in 6H, knowing that we have no sure place to ditch a spade and opponents have 14 points here.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-July-01, 14:56

Timouthy writes 'I played this hand recently in the Main Club. After a spade lead, I pulled trump and then tried to discard board's spade losers on club suit winners. When clubs didn't break, I resorted to a squeeze using boards trumps. In the two card ending, north hangs onto a spade and a diamond and south hangs onto a club and a diamond. I pitch my club and cash two diamond tricks to make it! I have URL link below. Would like to know how to copy actual bbo hand picture to this post if anyone out there knows.'
++++++++++++++++++++

7 is a reasonable contract, making, for example, when s are 4-3. but it seems hard to reach with confidence.

Also, swap T with 8 (as on the left) and Timouthy's iine works, unless defenders lead a .

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-02, 07:28

View Postnige1, on 2019-July-01, 14:56, said:

7 is a reasonable contract, making, for example, when s are 4-3. but it seems hard to reach with confidence.

The 4-3 split is only 63%, not great odds when the small slam is near certain. I guess it depends to some extent on the field, at lower levels some point counters would not even be in 6 here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users