BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding Table: Opps Bidding Options -not working? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Table: Opps Bidding Options -not working?

#1 User is offline   Stevano 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 10:02

Sorry for the incorrect Title. I meant Bidding Table.

I started a Bidding Table for practice with a partner. I sit Robots for East & West. The options for "Opponents' bidding" are:
1. Pass throughout.
2. Controlled by host.

I check the first, but the robots still bid. When I check the second, I get the same behavior.

How can I get these options to work? I'd appreciate an explanation of the second one.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 10:46

View PostStevano, on 2019-July-02, 10:02, said:

I started a Bidding Table for practice with a partner. I sit Robots for East & West. The options for "Opponents' bidding" are:
1. Pass throughout.
2. Controlled by host.

I check the first, but the robots still bid. When I check the second, I get the same behavior.

How can I get these options to work? I'd appreciate an explanation of the second one.

Thanks

If you want the opponents to pass throughout, do not put the robots into the East and West seats. Just leave the seats empty and you'll get want you want.

'Controlled by host' means that the table host can bid for the East and West hands. The issue I suspect you are seeing if trying this is that you are sitting at the table, in which case you will not be able to see the East and West hands although you can bid for them. This allows you to put in bids that you want to defend against, independent of the actual hand. This may or may not be what you want.

Originally I think this option was given so a third-party would control the East and West hands to let North and South practice their methods against certain conventions. As a coach I've done this. If you can find such a third-party, it is a lot easier than the more advanced options available at a bidding table. If you cannot find one, then using the more advanced options to generate hands of interest that the robots will bid satisfactory is another solution.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Stevano 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-02, 10:51

View Postpaulg, on 2019-July-02, 10:46, said:

If you want the opponents to pass throughout, do not put the robots into the East and West seats. Just leave the seats empty and you'll get want you want.

'Controlled by host' means that the table host can bid for the East and West hands. The issue I suspect you are seeing if trying this is that you are sitting at the table, in which case you will not be able to see the East and West hands although you can bid for them. This allows you to put in bids that you want to defend against, independent of the actual hand. This may or may not be what you want.

Originally I think this option was given so a third-party would control the East and West hands to let North and South practice their methods against certain conventions. As a coach I've done this. If you can find such a third-party, it is a lot easier than the more advanced options available at a bidding table. If you cannot find one, then using the more advanced options to generate hands of interest that the robots will bid satisfactory is another solution.

#4 User is offline   Stevano 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-02, 10:51

Thanks!

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-July-03, 09:07

View PostStevano, on 2019-July-02, 10:02, said:

I fixed it for you.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users