Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fictional Coutnries of Origin?

#1 User is offline   bplotkin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 20:11

I don't know how long this has been, but I've noticed recently that some players are specifying Palestine as their country of origin.

Since Palestine is not a nation, I'd like to know why they are able to do this--seems like it's a political statement which is supposed to be barred.

Or has it become ok to be anti-Israel on BBO?

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 20:35

The rule is that you can fly the flag of any country that has a national bridge or Olympic team, or is a member of the UN. Apparently, Palestine qualifies somehow.

You also can fly the flag of Faroe Islands, Scotland, Hong Kong and various other non-independent countries, while you can't fly Taiwan (it's called Chinese Taipei), Puntland, Somaliland and West Sahara.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   IHeartYou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 21:17

As of 3 August 2018, 137 of the 193 United Nations (UN) member states and two non-member states have recognized it. Furthermore, Palestine has been a non-member observer state of the UN since November 2012.[3][4] (From Wiki) No need to be anti-Palestine here, either.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-July-02, 21:24

Long long ago, I made a request to get the flag of Mordor added

Fred said no, explaining that he wanted a simple and objective standard as to avoid controversy over who should / should not be allow to display "their" flag.
He went with UN recognition

Seems like Fred made a good decision
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-03, 01:44

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-July-02, 21:24, said:

Long long ago, I made a request to get the flag of Mordor added

Fred said no, explaining that he wanted a simple and objective standard as to avoid controversy over who should / should not be allow to display "their" flag.
He went with UN recognition

Seems like Fred made a good decision

Yes, I agree. I don't know the personal status of BBO owner, Fred Gitelman, but the surname "Gitelman" is of Jewish origin, and he should be applauded for his freethinking stance on this issue.

Obviously, there will be some players who deliberately use a country's flag as a political statement. And that is patently wrong, of course.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-03, 07:16

View Postbplotkin, on 2019-July-02, 20:11, said:

I don't know how long this has been, but I've noticed recently that some players are specifying Palestine as their country of origin.

Since Palestine is not a nation, I'd like to know why they are able to do this--seems like it's a political statement which is supposed to be barred.

Or has it become ok to be anti-Israel on BBO?

I don't see why being pro-Palestine equates to anti-Israel. Maybe you should analyze your own prejudices.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users