Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB's jump "invite" bid

#1 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-16, 01:52

I have noticed GIB jumping to 3 in a new suit after partner's 1M opening to show a 6+ cards suit in a approx. 6-9 HCP hand, as opposed to bidding 1NT.
I have a few questions and I would like to hear what people think.

1) GIB is doing this also with 2-6-32, which imho is horrible because it prevents playing both 2 spades and 2 hearts, which I think would be better spots in many cases and can be reached with no struggle.
What do you think?

2) Why would this method be better than going through 1NT and bidding your long suit after?

3) If you think that this method has merit, what is the HCP and suit quality range you would see fit?

4) Do you pass with a void in GIB's suit, accepting this as a preempt, or do you bid again? (Not thinking about having extras here)

5) Would it be better to use the single jump for the so-called mini-splinter, showing 0-1 cards and a raise of partner's major with at least invitational values?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-16, 02:11

I like 1M - 3m being invitational, and I think the polls on bridgewinners showed it to be the preferred meaning of jump shifts to the three level. (It's part of Bridge World Standard).

But GIB uses it on completely the wrong hands.

If you start with a forcing 1nt, and partner responds higher than 2 of your minor, then 3 of your minor is weak, so the only way to invite is to bid 2NT. An immediate jump to 3m should show precisely those hands where you don't want to have to ignore your minor and bid 2NT.

PS - Gib doesn't play it as 6-9. It's invitational, 9-11. And you should never end in 2H or 2S, since it's for hands strong enough to bid past that anyway.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users