• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strange Sequence (Nightmare Sequence)

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-19, 01:49

IMPs

What do you bid now? I guess that it depends on your agreements. If you have agreed that double means that you would have made a penalty double of 1NT, then you double. We had agreed that double would show diamonds (5+). I passed. Whether you double or pass, LHO will bid 2:

What now? Double would be take-out. 2NT would shows the minor, bids would be natural. I elected to bid 2NT ...

The 3 bid is a bit strange! You know nothing about your opponents, but they have played competently so far. What do you do over 3? What do you do when north bids 3NT?

[Sorry - intended to post this in I/A forum]

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 04:08

I pass over 3S and 3NT, wait until partner has chosen his lead and then start asking questions. What is 3S here and what would 2S over 2H have been?

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-19, 06:00

It's so strange, bordering on completely weird that the only explanation I can think of off the top of my head is that the player accidently pulled the wrong bidding card out of the box intending a 2 transfer to 2s, got embarrassed to bid again until the opponents competed in the minors, and then got bold enough to realise that partner may have some support, hence the 3 bid.

If there's a logical explanation to all of this then I am all ears...:)

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-August-19, 06:35

I would have passed out 2H, however now in this situation I would double 3N, sure if they've had a miracle auction and it makes then well done ops, but I'm not letting them play 3N undoubled, when they were previously settling for a part score at the 2 level.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-19, 06:35

View PostTramticket, on 2019-August-19, 01:49, said:

[Sorry - intended to post this in I/A forum]

My hunch is that it will belong in the Laws and Rulings forum, once we know the explanations of South's bidding.

#6 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-19, 07:29

View Posteagles123, on 2019-August-19, 06:35, said:

I would have passed out 2H, however now in this situation I would double 3N, sure if they've had a miracle auction and it makes then well done ops, but I'm not letting them play 3N undoubled, when they were previously settling for a part score at the 2 level.

My thoughts entirely. I also felt that West was a shade light to compete at the three level in a minor vulnerable. However, now that the opponents find themselves in 3NT it behoves you to punish them with a double. If 3NT or 4 is making on this auction I will be flabbergasted.

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 09:19

View Posteagles123, on 2019-August-19, 06:35, said:

I wish that I had passed out 2. I followed your logic and doubled 3NT ... bad choice.

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-August-19, 07:29, said:

now that the opponents find themselves in 3NT it behoves you to punish them with a double. If 3NT or 4 is making on this auction I will be flabbergasted.

No. 3NT and 4 are failing … but 4 could not be beaten:

I still don't understand South's 3 bid. I can understand the desire to compete, but surely 3 would suggest both majors. Personally, I woulf have bid 2 (staymaN) at south's first turn.

Was I a mug? :(

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-19, 09:37

View PostTramticket, on 2019-August-19, 09:19, said:

Was I a mug? :(

I think you were, a bit, although it's also bad luck of course.
Weird bidding often means a weird hand, and having advertized where QJ are there is always some risk of them making 4 or even 4.
As said, I would have passed it out.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-August-19, 11:20

Late to the hand

I would not have bid over 2H: of course RHO has, as it happens, bid very strangely, but one should expect, at the point of decision, that partner has 7 or 8 major suit cards, and may have more: would any of us be surprised to find Jxxxxx xxx xx xx in dummy? Disappointed, yes, but surprised? No.

We are trying to find +110 against -110, on an auction where we may actually beat 2H! Picture declarer with Ax(x) in hearts and dummy with Qxxxx, We can easily be scoring 4 tricks in our hand, and partner need not contribute much to get a plus.

Meanwhile, if we have guessed wrong, this is an easy hand for them to hammer us, since responder can double with a decent defensive hand, knowin that opener can safely run to 3H with 4 card support, and otherwise likely carve us up.

Once they bid 3N, if this comes around to us, wild horses could not make me double. I may not even be able to beat this! Opener's 3N suggests my minors are not setting up: Kxx xx AK109 QJ9x for opener opposite AJ9x Axxxx xx xx for responder on a club lead...how do you like your chances? You need to switch to a heart at trick 2 to prevent a second overtrick!

Meanwhile, I do expect to beat this but I don't expect to get rich. If we are beating it, we are probably picking up imps, since I hope my teammates are not bidding like this. I'll happily take 5 to 7 imps and move on.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users