• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Le Bridgeur Quiz of 19 August

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-25, 10:50

Another quiz translated by BBO.
I like the format, although I would prefer to see the auction and not receive UI such as "no one is void in trumps".
I was pleased I picked the right solution to problem #3 (not so sure I would have got it right at the table, alas).

But the proposed solution to problem #1 left me scratching my head.
"Your best shot is to hope that the King of Hearts is with East and to finesse the King".
Should that not read "Your best shot is to hope that the King of Hearts is with West and to finesse the Jack"?
Even so it seems a wild shot to me, and the whole solution looks like resulting to fit the actual EW layout.
Or is it just too hot here today and I am missing something?

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-25, 11:06

I'm not impressed. I just read to the second problem, where you are in the south hand and lead a club to the ten. Then you are magically in the south hand again, leading a club to the ace (no indicators if the opps are following or not). Then are miraculously transported back to the south hand and now have to lead up to the ace of hearts to finally be in the north hand to work on diamonds.

I stopped reading there.

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-25, 11:47

View PostHardVector, on 2019-August-25, 11:06, said:

I'm not impressed. I just read to the second problem, where you are in the south hand and lead a club to the ten. Then you are magically in the south hand again, leading a club to the ace (no indicators if the opps are following or not). Then are miraculously transported back to the south hand and now have to lead up to the ace of hearts to finally be in the north hand to work on diamonds.

I stopped reading there.

I suspect you misread that bit above. The three tricks that you thought occurred in your order were actually three options from which you had to choose the best.

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-25, 11:54

View Postpescetom, on 2019-August-25, 10:50, said:

But the proposed solution to problem #1 left me scratching my head.
"Your best shot is to hope that the King of Hearts is with East and to finesse the King".
Should that not read "Your best shot is to hope that the King of Hearts is with West and to finesse the Jack"?
Even so it seems a wild shot to me, and the whole solution looks like resulting to fit the actual EW layout.
Or is it just too hot here today and I am missing something?

If West has K and you successfully finesse, you can discard one losing on the A. However, you still need a successful club finesse {or be brave enough to drop a doubleton Queen} for the 11th trick.

That's why the ruffing finesse (K with East) is better. If it wins, you have two winners in dummy to discard your clubs.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-25, 13:37

View Postshyams, on 2019-August-25, 11:54, said:

That's why the ruffing finesse (K with East) is better. If it wins, you have two winners in dummy to discard your clubs.

"and to finesse against the King with trumps".
Quite right, it was hot and I tend to take things literally :)

#6 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-25, 14:34

View Postshyams, on 2019-August-25, 11:47, said:

I suspect you misread that bit above. The three tricks that you thought occurred in your order were actually three options from which you had to choose the best.

Ah...now I get it. Merci. (Senior moment)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users