BBO Discussion Forums: Weekend Teams (2) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weekend Teams (2) Rate my 3NT bid

Poll: Weekend Teams (2) (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate my 3NT bid

1. 5 stars - practical bidding, and you want to be in game vul at IMPs (9 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. 4 stars - not without risk but I'd probably do the same (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. 3 stars - reasonable but I wouldn't do it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2 stars - I can see the idea but it's just chucking IMPs away (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 star - it's utterly crazy (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-27, 15:31

IMPs

I passed 1NT hoping to run a ton of club tricks off the top. When partner balanced with the majors I took a gamble on 3NT. I'd like to blame it on FelicityR's "youthful enthusiasm" but I'm 33 now :) What do you make of the 3NT bid?

ahydra

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-28, 07:07

View Postahydra, on 2019-August-27, 15:31, said:

I passed 1NT hoping to run a ton of club tricks off the top. When partner balanced with the majors I took a gamble on 3NT. I'd like to blame it on FelicityR's "youthful enthusiasm" but I'm 33 now :) What do you make of the 3NT bid?

I suspect 33 is about half the average age on this forum B-)
But you don't have to be youthful to take the 3NT plunge here, who would not?
I'm more doubtful about your initial pass, but then I have little experience against weak NT.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-28, 08:58

View Postahydra, on 2019-August-27, 15:31, said:

IMPs

ahydra

Nothing wrong with "youthful enthusiasm" if it gets you the right result :) Is there a sensible bid you can make on the first round of bidding? I assume 2 again shows majors, and 3 would be pre-emptive. You're the wrong shape for a double, and how would you proceed if partner bid a major in response? You wouldn't know his/her point range. Then what?

Given that you are 6421 shape with 10 cards in the minors, I think you are completely safe passing on the first round as there is a high probability that either the opponents or your partner will mention a major.

#4 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-28, 09:15

Is opener's bid a weak NT? It makes a difference.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-28, 14:49

Yep, opps are playing weak NT. We play Landy, 3C would be constructive (10-14, 6c) rather than pre-emptive.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-29, 16:23

View Postahydra, on 2019-August-28, 14:49, said:

Yep, opps are playing weak NT. We play Landy, 3C would be constructive (10-14, 6c) rather than pre-emptive.

You have three cards in the majors. Either LHO or partner will take out 1N - there is no point in waiting to cash 6 clubs vs 1NT. I would bid 3C, or, if you think it's too heavy for that, double with the plan of pulling partner's penalty double to 3C.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-01, 01:44

Interesting views, thanks all. Perhaps I should start with 3C - not sure about double, partner would expect more defence than this against a major-suit runout.

Anyway, I bought a measly KJ8xx KQ8x xx xx, and got a spade lead. I proceeded to play the hand really badly to go two down - if I'd guessed to put the J in at trick one, and the opps had been kind enough to also duck the first diamond after that start, then I would have made it for a huge swing in.

ahydra

#8 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-01, 02:28

I think that 3C first time round is probably wiser, mainly because 1NT will not be the final contract and the opps might have exchanged information before you get a chance to bid 3C next time. Or worse, you might have to guess what to do over opps' 3H or 3S. But I don't think that either of your calls were silly. Vulnerable games at IMPs do attract a bonus.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-September-06, 11:31

If you're 33, I've got you doubled and then some!!!

I'm bidding 3 NT with you're hand, too.

Partner should have decent values. After a weak 1 NT - P - P, coming into the auction is quite a bit more risky that over a similar strong NT auction. Responder to opener can have as much as a 10 count and pass. If your partner intervenes without muc, he could run into a buzz saw.

So given that partner has decent values and the majors and you have what looks like 6 tricks in , 3 NT looks like a good gamble at IMPS as the likeliest game.

Back to the old post mortem argument. Which would you rather defend bidding an aggressive 3 NT and going down, or, explaining why you didn't bid a lay down VUL game?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users