BBO Discussion Forums: A lucky slam - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

A lucky slam Should have been 6

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-17, 00:01

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-15, 15:01, said:

Actually not, you cash the clubs first pitching a heart, then cash 2 hearts, because if the hand with the diamonds has a second heart, you'll pitch a diamond on the third heart and finesse spades the other way as now the hand with the diamonds will only hold 2 (or 1) spades.

In this line, you blocked diamonds at trick one (based on a later comment), presumably unblock A, cross to A, run 3 club winners pitching a spade, diamond and heart. Then play 2 hearts. How do you get back to dummy to cash the 3rd heart since you already pitched a heart on the clubs? The extra winner in dummy means that West is not squeezed so now you have to make a decision which way to finesse with no squeeze possibility.

#22 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-17, 02:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-15, 17:15, said:

What are you discarding when you run the clubs, at this point you potentially have no clue who holds how many spades, you only do because hearts are 6-1. What are you going to discard if W has 5 diamonds, 3 or 4 clubs, and 2 hearts when you cash the fourth club.

You ran the initial diamond lead, I took the 7 at face value as 7 or 7x and retained the ace as an entry, won with the K and cashed A and AQ then crossed to the A, cashing the clubs, ditching a diamond, spade and heart. It makes no difference when hearts are 6-1 but when they are 5-2 with clubs 4-4 it does as you can now play with the odds and discard your diamond on the third heart knowing that W has at most 2 spades so the odds favour E having the Q.

As I have previously noted, you are basing your play in 7NT on a lead from the wrong hand in a suit that would not be led from West and should not be be led from East if somehow 7NT was declared by North.

Your line is a fine double dummy line for 7NT based on a bad lead that was made against 7. You can make assumptions about East having very short diamonds, and not bother testing diamonds for 3-3. Getting serious, this is not a double dummy problem and you should be planning play based on the likely heart of club opening lead.

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-17, 03:31

View Postjohnu, on 2019-September-17, 00:01, said:

In this line, you blocked diamonds at trick one (based on a later comment), presumably unblock A, cross to A, run 3 club winners pitching a spade, diamond and heart. Then play 2 hearts. How do you get back to dummy to cash the 3rd heart since you already pitched a heart on the clubs? The extra winner in dummy means that West is not squeezed so now you have to make a decision which way to finesse with no squeeze possibility.

As I stated I unblocked the AQ before crossing to dummy and cashing the clubs

#24 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-17, 13:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-17, 03:31, said:

As I stated I unblocked the AQ before crossing to dummy and cashing the clubs

A direct quote from you

Actually not, you cash the clubs first pitching a heart, then cash 2 hearts,

In plain English, you said you cash the clubs first, then you cash 2 hearts. You apparently realized your mistake after I pointed it out and posted a different line later on.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users