• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is my Director right? 2/1 bidding

#21 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-17, 20:16

I dunno about ACBL rules, but it would surprise me if natural response styles fall under the Canape restrictions. We teach beginners to bid a 4-card spades before a 7-card minor if they don't have gameforcing strength.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   bedfordvan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-October-18, 01:20

Here in the UK my partner and I play strong NT and 5 card majors, 2 over 1 and a forcing nt over an opening of a major. We play Kaplan Interchange over 1 Heart where a response of 1 Spade shows 0 to 4 Spades whereas 1nt promises at least 5 Spades. Any hand of game forcing strength without 5 Spades we would bid 2 of our better minor ( at least 3 cards )

#23 User is offline   mdgraham 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-October-18, 01:31

Outrageous. The director has no right to tell you what you must and must not bid.

#24 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-18, 02:21

View PostPrecisionL, on 2019-October-17, 19:17, said:

Canape is allowed except in Basic or Basic+ Chart Club/Events. It is a pre-alert before the auction and an alert during the auction when the second, longer suit is bid.

In fact, the word "canape" does not appear in the convention charts, and there is no requirement that you bid your longest suit before a shorter suit. As long as the canape bid meets the definition of "Natural" then it is allowed under the Basic chart. e.g. the Roman Club methods of bidding a 3 card major suit would not be considered "Natural". Natural for minors is 3 cards or longer.

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-October-18, 04:22

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-17, 14:32, said:

Not exactly. You may occasionally deviate from your system, but if you have done it often enough that your partner is aware that you might do so again then it is now an agreement and you must disclose this to your opponents, otherwise it is a serious offence.

Sir,what you say is correct absolutely.And that goes for psychic bids too. As long as partner has not the slightest idea and if one is not trying to pass UI .In the given post OP has asked us "FALSE OR TRUE"? My answer is "TOTALLY FALSE"

#26 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-18, 05:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2019-October-17, 20:16, said:

I dunno about ACBL rules, but it would surprise me if natural response styles fall under the Canape restrictions. We teach beginners to bid a 4-card spades before a 7-card minor if they don't have gameforcing strength.

Walsh responses bypassing diamonds are also very common in the USA and I doubt these are restricted at any level.

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-18, 05:36

View Postbedfordvan, on 2019-October-18, 01:20, said:

Here in the UK my partner and I play strong NT and 5 card majors, 2 over 1 and a forcing nt over an opening of a major. We play Kaplan Interchange over 1 Heart where a response of 1 Spade shows 0 to 4 Spades whereas 1nt promises at least 5 Spades. Any hand of game forcing strength without 5 Spades we would bid 2 of our better minor ( at least 3 cards )

There is actually a form of -NT interchange over 1 that avoids this issue as well as making 1 auctions more analogous to 1 ones. The idea is for a 1NT response to show just 4+ spades but with GF strength (like a 2/1) and use the 1 response as the FNT, with a subsequent 1NT rebid by Opener then showing spades. This is obviously much less popular than Standard KI but I genuinely believe it is considerably simpler to handle for most players. Once players progress up to Gazilli it tends to simplify the 1 auctions even more in comparison with Standard aside from having to remember that 1NT is a proxy for a suit call in the 1 structure.
(-: Zel :-)

#28 User is offline   jjsb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2019-October-18, 07:53

im confused about that one a lot ... why is director at the table ?? did opps called for it after they get a bad result based on ur bidding ? i mean u can surely do whatever u want director dont have to deal with psyche assumoing of course that there is no club tournament rule about it ...
now if ur question is about a teaching question or information that is totally different and i guess soem already give u an answer on that one ...
regards
sylvain

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-18, 08:29

View Postjjsb, on 2019-October-18, 07:53, said:

director dont have to deal with psyche

Why would you think this a psyche when this pair appear to agree that the 2/1 can be bid only to show strength and not based on shape? That is not a psyche but potentially a CPU and there are rules about that. The simple truth is that we do not yet have enough information to know precisely what was really the case here. I still strongly suspect a misunderstanding or miscommunication but several other scenarios are still in the frame as possibilities.
(-: Zel :-)

#30 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2019-October-18, 11:55

Interesting responses. The answer to your question is no, the director is flat-out wrong.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#31 User is offline   rickdey55 

• Pip

Posted 2019-October-18, 15:54

Your director is wrong without a doubt, period. With two over one values and four spades it is normally best to bid the four card or longer minor or 2H after a one spade opener with five or more hearts. With five spades and game forcing values bid one spade after one heart followed by fourth suit forcing if necessary to usually indicate five spades and game going values.

#32 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-18, 18:57

Now if director is emphatically expressing his ideas (as a player) about good bridge, he is merely wrong. If he is claiming you must by law or regulations bid that way, he has his head up his ***.

#33 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2019-October-19, 20:03

View PostLobowolf, on 2019-October-18, 11:55, said:

Interesting responses. The answer to your question is no, the director is flat-out wrong.

Just to be clear, the correctness of the bid is incidental to the question.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users